LaunchBox Community Forums

Nintendo 3DS with RetroArch

GamerMTL

Hi all, Recently I got Nintendo 3DS to work with RetroArch (Citra Core). Followed all the instruction online through a video tutorial and everything went smoothly. Upon launching some games (4 in total to test it out), they all exhibited different levels of audio choppiness, that would also create choppiness with the video. Has anyone experienced this and if so, whats the work around please? I have other system running with RetroArch through LaunchBox and they all work well. Thanks!    

14 hours ago, Lordmonkus said:

It may just be emulation quality of those games, 3DS emulation is still very much a work in progress and many games are hit and miss on how well they work, the emulator also requires a fairly good CPU to run smoothly.

I do have a solid computer, so I'm sure that's fine. I do believe it's behind the emulation. Do I have to manually update the cores or RetroArch in the future to see if there are improvements or is this done automatically if I open RetroArch now and then?

13 hours ago, SonicFan53 said:

You should probably go for standalone, it runs better. Sonic Boom: Shattered Crystal, as an example, crashes after about 20 seconds after booting it up in RA, but continues past 20 seconds in standalone.

Would there be a standalone that you would recommend?  Thanks!

1 hour ago, zetec-s-joe said:

Have you tried the canary core for citra? be worth ago. The core has come a long way. But like SonicFan53 says, failing those try the Standalone and see the peformance diffences

I have not, would I be downloading this core in RetroArch?

5 minutes ago, GamerMTL said:

I do have a solid computer, so I'm sure that's fine. I do believe it's behind the emulation. Do I have to manually update the cores or RetroArch in the future to see if there are improvements or is this done automatically if I open RetroArch now and then?

Thats just the state of 3DS emulation, while the standalone may run slightly better, you will still find that most games have issues, be it graphically, audio or speed wise.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, neil9000 said:

Thats just the state of 3DS emulation, while the standalone may run slightly better, you will still find that most games have issues, be it graphically, audio or speed wise.

Yes very true, it's buggy, even with the standalone both Citra Nightly and Canary. I guess it will take sometime to work out the bugs?