LaunchBox Community Forums

Emulators

RevJoe98

Hey guys, 

I have recently bought LaunchBox and it is amazing!  I have MAME for my arcade games and SNES9x for my SNES games, I just tried to play the Sega Genesis games I imported and I'm using Fusion364 under the name Kega Fusion.  It is not working well.  I can't change the controls with tab, no buttons seem to work and I'm getting a lot of Direct 3d Init errors (1 & 2).  One game I tried was just a blank screen with the numbers 59.9 on the bottom left.  Is there a way to fix these issues, or is there a better Sega Genesis emulator I can use?  I also downloaded a lot of NES games I haven't imported yet and I'm wondering what emulator would be best.  I'm a noob, so I need some patient help.  I've been amazed how this forum has come through before, and I'm hoping I can get all this worked out for when the arcade cabinet comes!    Thank you!

Sincerely,

RevJoe981792185505_EditEmulator4_3_202010_07_35AM.thumb.png.b25fabe90ebf33326f43f0d99a9d6eb4.png

Edited by RevJoe98

3 minutes ago, RevJoe98 said:

Hey guys, 

I have recently bought LaunchBox and it is amazing!  I have MAME for my arcade games and SNES9x for my SNES games, I just tried to play the Sega Genesis games I imported and I'm using Fusion364 under the name Kega Fusion.  It is not working well.  I can't change the controls with tab, no buttons seem to work and I'm getting a lot of Direct 3d Init errors (1 & 2).  One game I tried was just a blank screen with the numbers 59.9 on the bottom left.  Is there a way to fix these issues, or is there a better Sega Genesis emulator I can use?  I also downloaded a lot of NES games I haven't imported yet and I'm wondering what emulator would be best.  I'm a noob, so I need some patient help.  I've been amazed how this forum has come through before, and I'm hoping I can get all this worked out for when the arcade cabinet comes!    Thank you!

Sincerely,

RevJoe98

for those sort of systems from the 8 and 16 bit eras i would use Retroarch for them all personally. It supports them all and they are constantly updated. Kega Fusion is a very old emulator that hasnt been worked on in a long time.

• Thanks 1

Just now, RevJoe98 said:

Ok, Should I replace MAME?  (I like it and it works well for me) or can I use RetroArch AND MAME?  Also, I look at it, and I'm not sure which version to get of RetroArch, which is best?

No standalone MAME is the recommendation there still, but for the early consoles i would use retroarch. You only need to set your settings and controls once in its UI and they will work across multiple systems. As for Retroarch get the zip version that matches your OS, either 32 or 64 from here. https://retroarch.com/?page=platforms, thats the ones called download, not the installer ones.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, DeadVoivod said:

I use MAME in RetroArch version 210, and it's working just fine. I changed recently because I had this unsolvable problem with key mapping in standalone MAME. 

Thats the exact reason i dont use Retroarch MAME, i always had control issues with it. :) 

• Unusual Gem 1

Well that image is showing Kega still. Have you added retroarch to the Tools/Manage Emulators section? Also have you downloaded a core in Retroarch? Retroarch doesnt come with any cores (emulators) they are downloaded from within the UI, online updater/cores, i recommend the Genesis GX core.

• Unusual Gem 1

5 minutes ago, RevJoe98 said:

Sorry, I used the wrong image.  I haven't downloaded a core in RetroArch yet.  Thank you for letting me know about that.  I looked up the cores in RetroArch but all I see for Sega are these, which one should I chose? 260777291_RetroArch4_3_202011_51_37AM.thumb.png.892cf3a248777785563ff507a2a77582.png

Genesis Plus GX, as it supports master system, game gear, megadrive/genesis, and mega/sega cd.

• Thanks 1

Ok, that's the one I used one and it opened the game! :) 

However, the issues I'm having with it are:

-It's launching in a small window instead of fullscreen.

-I don't know how to map the controls to my keyboard for Genesis games (for now, xbox controller should be coming today and rcade machine later on).

-I can't get Night Trap to launch still, do I need a different core? (I double-click and nothing happens.

I'm sorry for the barrage of questions, I'm trying to learn, and y'all have already helped me so much!  Thank you!

2 minutes ago, RevJoe98 said:

-It's launching in a small window instead of fullscreen.

I noticed that in your image, open retroarch by itself and hit F on the keyboard to go fullscreen, it should remember that next time its opened. If it doesnt remember it post back and ill explain why.

4 minutes ago, RevJoe98 said:

-I don't know how to map the controls to my keyboard for Genesis games (for now, xbox controller should be coming today and rcade machine later on).

A xbox controller will be automatically setup so no need to worry there. As for keyboard controls you will need to open Retroarch and go to settings/input/user 1 binds and set what you want there.

5 minutes ago, RevJoe98 said:

-I can't get Night Trap to launch still, do I need a different core? (I double-click and nothing happens.

Night Trap is a Mega CD game so that will require Mega CD bios files, which go in the Retroarch/Systems folder.

In the retroarch UI you can "Load Core" when a core is loaded you then have access to a "information" screen for that core, then inside that "core information". That screen will say if a core needs a bios file, and whether or not it actually see's that file or not. Like in this image, i have the European and USA bios, but im missing the Japanese one. So i can run European and USA roms but not Japanese.

1725836217_RetroArchScreenshot2020_04.03-17.26_04_98.thumb.png.aac032bec6ea0e90a4496e97a34d0ea0.pngI should add the only reason it says those are "Optional" is because they are not needed for master system, megadrive or game gear. They are ABSOLUTELY needed for mega cd though.

Any other queries, feel free.

• Thanks 1

Also i dont recall if mega cd is a default associated platform or not. So i would in Launchbox go to Tools/Manage Emulators/Retroarch, click the associated platform tab and look if that system is there and is using the core you want. Im assuming you have that as a separate platform? So a Sega Genesis/MegaDrive platform, as well as a Sega CD/Mega CD platform, you shouldnt mix them if not.

• Thanks 1

Very helpful, thanks!  I downloaded bios and got Night Trap working, and I've seen the keyboard layout now.  Oops, they're all under Sega Genesis Platform.  I downloaded a set for Sega Genesis and downloaded Night Trap separately.  I don't know if I have any other Sega CD games yet. 

How should I change this?

Also, when I play a Genesis game, it plays, but it launches two small windows with the same game.  How do I make it only launch once, and how do I launch in full screen?

1 hour ago, RevJoe98 said:

Very helpful, thanks!  I downloaded bios and got Night Trap working, and I've seen the keyboard layout now.  Oops, they're all under Sega Genesis Platform.  I downloaded a set for Sega Genesis and downloaded Night Trap separately.  I don't know if I have any other Sega CD games yet. 

How should I change this?

Also, when I play a Genesis game, it plays, but it launches two small windows with the same game.  How do I make it only launch once, and how do I launch in full screen?

Sorry for the late reply. Right click night trap, edit, then change the platform its associated with.

No problem, thank you for taking the time to help me!  I did that but it doesn't show Sega CD as a choice.  RetroArch has a lot of platforms checked for it.  I tried to add one with just Sega CD, but it said there was already one in use  

Edit Game 4_3_2020 4_07_24 PM.png

You probably haven't added it to your platforms yet. You can add it manually or import something for Sega CD and Launchbox will do the rest.

Also zip files aren't suported. You'll need to extract the archive into a folder and then import the cue. 

For CD based games, I have all of mine in their own folders just cause some have multiple bin files and it could get messy. I just search my system folder for .cue, drag all my cue files into launchbox, and then import as Rom files leaving everything in their current folders (When It asks if I want to Move, copy, or leave as is)

Attached is my Sega CD directory just to give you an idea

Sega CD.PNG