LaunchBox Community Forums

Exit Hotkey for PCSX2 working in Launchbox but NOT Big Box?

splitsurround

I'm new to BB, but have been going hard at it for the last 1.5 weeks. I have Atari 2600, NES, SNES, PSP, Arcade, Wii and Gamecube all working, and they all utilize the 2 button exit hotkey I assigned just fine.

I'm trying to get PCSX2 working with that same exit hotkey, which...it should just "do" right, since I already have it set up. But it doesn't. It takes me to an options screen, etc, in different games.

However, if I use Launchbox, not Big Box, the exit hotkey DOES work, which makes beyond no sense.

In the manage emulators section, I've left the "running" and "exit" scripts as is.

while I have you, one other question about exiting PCSX2: does the built in exit process save settings, or do I need manually save the game first before exiting/use a save state?

If anyone has any ideas, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

First thing that needs to be mentioned I guess, in case you were not aware.  LB and BB have their own/separate controller automation sections.  If you enable it, and setup the exit hotkeys in LB, it won't work in BB until you also set it up in there as well.  Secondly, I checked my Running Autohotkey settings for PCSX2 and I have the following generic shutdown AHK script in mine (which does work fine for me).  If you have nothing in that tab for your emulator settings in LB, try using the following:

$Esc::
{
    Process, Close, {{{StartupEXE}}}
}

Edit: Also, just an FYI as this can cause problems with emulators and functionality such as controller automation, etc. make sure that you don't install any of your emulators into the C:\Program Files (or C:\Program Files (x86)) folders. Those typically require special permissions that break with frontends.  Better to install your frontends, and all emulators, into another folder such as C:\Games (as an examaple).

Edited by CDBlue

Thanks for the reply.

To answer your questions, yes, I've set up controller hotkeys in BB  (I wasn't aware that I could set a global one in LB, I thought that was premium only). I also have the default shutdown scripts in mine (the same as yours) which works great to shut down the PS2 emulator, but only with the keyboard "ESC" key.

And yes, I've installed everything into 3 folders: Launchbox, Emulators, and Games.

Still scratching my head over here!

I understand that. I was responding to this:

"LB and BB have their own/separate controller automation sections.  If you enable it, and setup the exit hotkeys in LB, it won't work in BB until you also set it up in there as well."

One of the reasons to get Big Box is to get the global hotkeys for shutdown, unless I have my facts wrong. Anyhow, it doesn't matter, in the end I did have this set up and exiting PCSX2 still isn't working.

23 minutes ago, splitsurround said:

I understand that. I was responding to this:

"LB and BB have their own/separate controller automation sections.  If you enable it, and setup the exit hotkeys in LB, it won't work in BB until you also set it up in there as well."

One of the reasons to get Big Box is to get the global hotkeys for shutdown, unless I have my facts wrong. Anyhow, it doesn't matter, in the end I did have this set up and exiting PCSX2 still isn't working.

Automation is actually a paid feature regardless of LB or BB. I do not think it is offered in the free version. So you need to set up your controller automation in LB and then set it up in BB.

Something else must be going on. PCSX2 actually does not even need that AHK to close. It is in there because without it when you close using automation you get a brief glimpse of the PCSX2 emulator shutting down (hence the note Jason put in with the default). Add it back in and it closes cleanly (although that code is a bit outdated TBH).

Any chance you are running PCSX2 as admin?

Also, can you post a screenshot of your controller automation settings in LB (we'll focus on that for now, if we can get controller automation to work in LB, then setting up in BB is the same).  Go to your options/mappings section in LB and scroll down to the exit game section.  Here's a screenshot of mine so you can see how I have mine setup, I have mine set to press and hold the select button, then the top button on my controller.  This will then kick off the exit command to the emulator.

If it is exiting properly when you press the escape key on the keyboard, then I don't think it's a setting in the emulator/ahk script, it's likely a controller automation setting that's missing/incorrectly mapped I expect.

Untitled.png

Just now, splitsurround said:

That's funny you should ask. Yes, I think I am, because when I was troubleshooting this online, there was a thread that stated running it in admin would fix the issue, so I enabled that.

Should I take it out of admin?

Thanks.

Try it without it running as admin. Also go into BB and confirm you have you controller automation mapped. LB and BB have separate settings so you need to be sure both are mapped.

Ok, took it off admin.

First, my LB controller hotkey settings:

IMG_6916.thumb.jpeg.09491fa364d9648821bdfdaba9f9e250.jpeg

here's my BB controller automation settings;

IMG_6917.thumb.jpeg.b9f7870657470f647e1fda4609ef184b.jpeg

So from within LB, I launched "bully" for PS2. Once gameplay starts, I hit select+start on my gamepad (my button 7&8) and the game exits super clean.

I switch to BB, do the same exact thing, and when I hit the 2 buttons, it takes me to an in-game menu. There's no way for me to quit without using the keyboard.

One last thing I can think of, but I assume this is done otherwise I don't know if the controller would even work in BB.  in BB on the section above controller mapping (ie. controller) I assume you have Enable Game Controllers checked off, and in the Device section it lists your game controller?  I'm afraid that's the extent of what I can think of that might be causing the issue.