LaunchBox Community Forums

Amstrad CPC464 Real 3D box project

Retrofrogg

@Retrofrogg

The good news is that we can scrape the textures of the box and then create a set of actions in photoshop to generate our box out of it. Probably not all of them are useful, as some maybe squeezed, but for those who are ok the process will be really fast.

Take a look at the .zip (around 200 box textures scrapped)

Box - Texture.zip

1761502185_AfricanTrailSimulator(Europe).thumb.png.20050e1b15fb0655db36d973ed1cf56d.png

Edited by CMOSS

4 minutes ago, Retrofrogg said:

Thanks @CMOSS. From your zip, it looks like those are mainly disk boxes? Are you working on boxes for those rather than tapes? I am still looking for good Photoshop templates for both double cassette and disk boxes. 

Those are the ones that I have been able to scrape so far (from screenscraper) before reaching the daily limit of connections :) I will continue tomorrow to get as many as I can.

The boxes that I am manually generating are only for the normal cassette (the media comes from cpcrulez). Those games without cassette covers but with either disk or double cassettes I am marking them in the excel but not working on them  (waiting for the templates). I will PM you my progress so far.

In any case, we can always use this artwork for those games for which we cannot find any decent cassette cover. And then automate the creation of the disk boxes once you find the good template.

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

@Djronz - I resumed work on this project a few weeks ago. The project expanded into a complete Launchbox Amstrad CPC setup with extended metadata, game videos, game title & gameplay screenshots, manuals, tape/disc scans and of course front, expanded and 3D box art. It is based on the latest Gamebase CPC collection which has been imported into Launchbox with the help of @JoeViking245, which is around 3300 games. The box art is a combination of single cassette cases, double cassette cases, disk cases and cardboard boxes ("big box" art). Everything has been done; I've just got the 3D boxes to finish working through. @CMOSS, don't know if you were still interested in this. 

2 hours ago, Retrofrogg said:

@Djronz - I resumed work on this project a few weeks ago. The project expanded into a complete Launchbox Amstrad CPC setup with extended metadata, game videos, game title & gameplay screenshots, manuals, tape/disc scans and of course front, expanded and 3D box art. It is based on the latest Gamebase CPC collection which has been imported into Launchbox with the help of @JoeViking245, which is around 3300 games. The box art is a combination of single cassette cases, double cassette cases, disk cases and cardboard boxes ("big box" art). Everything has been done; I've just got the 3D boxes to finish working through. @CMOSS, don't know if you were still interested in this. 

I can help out a little, yes.

• 4 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Djronz said:

@Retrofrogg hi,  these look fantastic but now my C64 and spectrum boxes look poor in comparison, any chance you could share the template so I could make them the same or are there any plans to do these systems too? 

Lol…yes that is a potential side effect. Happy to share my templates. I wasn’t planning to do those other systems as getting it right is so time consuming. I’m using single cassette, double cassette, disk and cardboard box templates as appropriate. I’m going to look into Photoshop automation but it will still require a lot of filtering things first. I’ll PM them to you. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Retrofrogg said:

Lol…yes that is a potential side effect. Happy to share my templates. I wasn’t planning to do those other systems as getting it right is so time consuming. I’m using single cassette, double cassette, disk and cardboard box templates as appropriate. I’m going to look into Photoshop automation but it will still require a lot of filtering things first. I’ll PM them to you. 

Thanks,  it would be great to eventually get all cassette based systems up to this standard!