LaunchBox Community Forums

Sony PS5 (hopefully before Christmas of 2020)

CadetStimpy

The Sony Playstation 5 is due out roughly in November (2020) for about $500 (both subject to change).

It sounds bad-ass!

The PS5 will have an AMD Zen 2-based CPU with 8 cores @ 3.5GHz, 16Gb of GDDR6 memory, a custom RDNA 2 AMD GPU that puts out 10.28 Tflops of processing power, and an 825Gb SSD.

Click here to learn a little more and/or sign-up to be notified by Sony of updates.

PS5 SSD Speed.jpg

1 minute ago, CadetStimpy said:

The Sony Playstation 5 is due out roughly in November (2020) for about $500 (both subject to change).

It sounds bad-ass!

The PS5 will have an AMD Zen 2-based CPU with 8 cores @ 3.5GHz, 16Gb of GDDR6 memory, a custom RDNA 2 AMD GPU that puts out 10.28 Tflops of processing power, and an 825Gb SSD.

Click here to learn a little more and/or sign-up to be notified by Sony of updates.

PS5 SSD Speed.jpg

All the specs of the XBOX Series X are higher than that of the PS5, so i would wait until they are both released for reviews before deciding on a potential winner.

image.thumb.png.9d32e96ac6e7573cda115bbb3d1aad6e.png

They both look impressive but as always specs alone never tell the entire story and it will come down to other factors, exclusives for each, pricing, real time performance.

The push for ray-tracing is great, but if performance suffers using it, it might change some people's opinions not understanding the differences.

Since both systems are suppose to offer good backwards compatibility to previous systems, my guess is for the most part those in MS camp will stay with MS, and the same for the Sony camp. 

You're right, Neil9000, the Xbox looks better on paper, but as Headrush69 mentioned, one would probably stick with the hardware that can play their older games.

But the "high-techness" of either one is pretty awesome.  A while back I hooked-up my Intellivision to my 'modern' TV, and 2 pixels were about the size of a domino. ?

The first Video Game I played was Lunar Lander (I think that's what it was called) on a VAX/VMS system.  Just thin green lines.  But at the time, it was sooo cool!

I've seen many different images of the PS5, but this one looks the wildest, IMHO.  Anyone know what it's really gonna look like?

Sony PS5 - Front.jpg

Sony PS5 - Rear.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

@CadetStimpy that looks like an artist redesign of the dev units. AFAIK there isn't any reveal or leak of the consumer unit, but considering the controller design, I'd bet it won't be as reserved as the PS2 or PS4.

Between Series X and this I think hardware is a less important deciding factor this next gen. Microsoft has been doing a lot of good stuff these past couple years to stay competitive, with Game Pass and getting Xbox Live on other platforms. Their PR , reveals, promoting, cross play support, and security infrastructure are all far, FAR better than Sony's, especially as of late. Sony has been mostly silent this last year, have had that cross play debacle, just seem blind with their PR, and seem to have gotten cocky with the success of the PS4. Oh, and lets not mention their network security. Atrocious.

Despite this, if I buy into this next gen, I would go with Sony's console. I like their exclusives more (XBONE exclusives, what?) but that may change as we get further in next gen with all the studio deals and if they rightfully gain more support for their actions as of late. Console players being loyal to their platform is a myth as we seen with PS2 dominant gen, followed by 360 dominance, and now PS4, so I think it can happen again.

I won't go with the Series X though... because it's Microsoft. They have no respect for consumer privacy and in that regards I feel they are everything wrong with where consumer electronics has been heading this past decade and so. Games have also increasingly been including analytics that are getting more and more invasive. This is especially apparent with the Oculus VR headsets. Now the PS5 is still going to have a built in mic and likely cameras for the console, and those same developers will release games on their console, so again, this next gen is a *very* tough sell for me. I'd much rather get a gaming PC and stick with DRM-free games. Anything different seems increasingly like a blatant disregard for the consumer's right to privacy.

Consumer tech (and the internet) is disgusting nowadays.

Edited by Shinji's Weed