LaunchBox Community Forums

I am currently learning PowerShell as part of my day job, and I figured I can move away from AHK and use PowerShell for automating stuff in Launchbox as well.

This is my first stab at it, designed to get the infamous Project Phoenix Emulator to work hand-in-hand with Launchbox.

It's not 100% PowerShell though, as I could not figure out how to move the mouse pointer without AHK. So an AHK script is embedded in Base64 to the PowerShell script.

To give credit where it's due, the inspiration for this came from the tool made by @jophran

SETUP INSTRUCTIONS

1. Refer to THIS ARTICLE to download the emulator and the translation patch (Yeah, the interface is in Cyrillic and the patch is to translate it to English)
  2. Once the emulator has been patched, launch it and click on the 3DO and Jaguar icons on the left to have the emulator generate the requisite settings
  3. Search online for 3DO - FZ-10.bin and put it in the 3DO\BIOS folder
  4. Search online for [BIOS] Atari Jaguar (World).j64 and put it in the Jaguar\BIOS folder
  5. Launch the emulator
  6. Click on the 3DO icon and select File > Add BIOS file to the collection to connect the BIOS file
  7. Click File > Open CDROM image and simply pick any 3DO game to add to the emulator
  8. Click on the Jaguar icon and select File > Add BIOS file to the collection to connect the BIOS file
  9. Click File > Add CARTRIDGE file to the collection and simply pick any Jaguar game to add to the emulator
  10. Steps 6-9 are required to generate the required lines in the emulator's configuration file for the launcher to work. Close the emulator
  11. Download the attachment below. Put PhoenixLaunchbox.exe in the same folder where the Project Phoenix Emulator is
  12. Set PhoenixLaunchbox.exe as the emulator in Launchbox, add -Filename as the Default Command-Line Parameter. No other changes are required
    4lpM9E6.jpg

FEATURES

1. It will automatically load the 3DO or Jaguar core, depending on your ROM/ISO file extension
  2. It has an embedded AHK script in it to automatically press the Power button on the emulator. Because it is based on the relative position of the window, ensure the toolbar is at the top of the emulator window
    tndAILe.jpg
  3. The emulator will go to fullscreen 2 seconds after the game starts
  4. Pressing Escape on the keyboard will kill the emulator, like most other emulators

LIMITATIONS

1. The compiled executable is 64-bit only
  2. The Project Phoenix Emulator will popup an Android button in the toolbar from time to time, ensure the Android button is set to the same line as the main toolbar, otherwise the AHK script will cause the Android button to be pressed instead of the Power button

Anyway, I hope y'all like it, and feel free to comment and suggest improvements / enhancements.

Will upload this to the DOWNLOADS section once I am able to spend more time testing it and looking out for errors and areas for improvement.

Project Phoenix Launcher.zip

Edited by MCF
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
20 hours ago, bundangdon said:

This works great and I really appreciate this plugin. The only problem is that it won't work when using Launchbox's startup screen plugin. Is there any way to fix this issue?

I don't use the Startup Screen feature in Launchbox. I just did a quick test and it loaded fine for me.

What happens when Startup Screen is enabled and you launch the emulator?

16 hours ago, MCF said:

I don't use the Startup Screen feature in Launchbox. I just did a quick test and it loaded fine for me.

What happens when Startup Screen is enabled and you launch the emulator?

Thanks a lot for the quick response. While using the startup screen, this is what I get
Untitled-1.thumb.jpg.1fe219c10ad6aeb4a50d7022def24ad8.jpgAnd nothing happens beyond that. I can only guess that the startup screen interrupts the plugin, hence causing the whole thing to stop completely

On 5/31/2020 at 9:31 AM, bundangdon said:

Thanks a lot for the quick response. While using the startup screen, this is what I get
Untitled-1.thumb.jpg.1fe219c10ad6aeb4a50d7022def24ad8.jpgAnd nothing happens beyond that. I can only guess that the startup screen interrupts the plugin, hence causing the whole thing to stop completely

I believe you're right... does it work if you disable Startup Screen?

The commands require the Project Phoenix emulator to be the frontmost window

Edited by MCF

2 hours ago, MCF said:

I believe you're right... does it work if you disable Startup Screen?

The commands require the Project Phoenix emulator to be the frontmost window

Yep, when the startup screen is disabled it works fine. Not a deal breaker by any means, but just thought you might want to know or add that in to the plugin information

• 3 months later...
On 9/12/2020 at 2:33 PM, Solo said:

Also when switching from 3DO to Jaguar, you will get this error, 3DO wont load propertly.

image.thumb.png.c69bf58a437f666c68dd5b9714be6d1e.png

Also 3DO wont work only giving me insert CD

Yeah... the emulator needs to quit entirely, before it can switch modes... this is because this tool injects values into the emulator's XML configuration file, so it must quit and relaunch

20 minutes ago, MCF said:

Yeah... the emulator needs to quit entirely, before it can switch modes... this is because this tool injects values into the emulator's XML configuration file, so it must quit and relaunch

Even when quitting it propertly it is giving me this error.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey, I've been thinking of ditching Rocketlauncher finally (only used for some emulators, like Phoenix), but I've just noticed that Phoenix doesn't boot at all any more for me. Even when trying to manually boot the exe. Tried a fresh download as well.
It's really strange since I had it working a few months ago and I haven't touched it since and now the emulator doesn't want to even start. It pops up in the task manager for a split second then vanishes. Anyone else had a similar issue?  :/

This launcher sounds like exactly what I need once I can just get the emulator to boot. haha

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

2 hours ago, polygonslayer said:

Hey, I've been thinking of ditching Rocketlauncher finally (only used for some emulators, like Phoenix), but I've just noticed that Phoenix doesn't boot at all any more for me. Even when trying to manually boot the exe. Tried a fresh download as well.
It's really strange since I had it working a few months ago and I haven't touched it since and now the emulator doesn't want to even start. It pops up in the task manager for a split second then vanishes. Anyone else had a similar issue?  :/

This launcher sounds like exactly what I need once I can just get the emulator to boot. haha

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

You may want to check your System log in the Event Viewer, there should be something there that shows why it crashed.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, MCF said:

You may want to check your System log in the Event Viewer, there should be something there that shows why it crashed.

Cheers, but I just checked and nothing shows up in the log :/
It's really strange. Double clicking the exe it doesn't even seem to appear in the task manager most of the time. Could some sort of windows update have screwed up something that the emulator depends on?

• 1 month later...
On 1/19/2021 at 5:19 AM, polygonslayer said:

Cheers, but I just checked and nothing shows up in the log :/
It's really strange. Double clicking the exe it doesn't even seem to appear in the task manager most of the time. Could some sort of windows update have screwed up something that the emulator depends on?

Really hard to say in these cases :(

My script is just basic PowerShell converted to EXE, so there shouldn't be any compatibility issues.

You may try configuring the Project Phoenix emulator itself to launch in Windows 7 or Windows XP compatibility mode and then try again?

• Like 1

• 3 months later...