LaunchBox Community Forums

Editorial Noir - [Theme Stream]

faeran

Editorial Noir - [Theme Stream]

View File

Editorial Noir was built during a Theme Stream broadcast. If you are interested in creating themes, follow me on Twitch, or watch the videos later on YouTube.

A Catalog of past Theme Streams can be found on the forums here: https://forums.launchbox-app.com/topic/54760-retro-faerans-theme-stream-big-box-theme-creation/

Editorial Noir

This theme is my take on porting the exciting ES theme by chicuelo called Epic Noir.

577170721_PlatformView1.thumb.PNG.0d683e4719d3a6d065ce40ed24479502.PNG

Watch this theme being built:

Instructions

• Editorial Noir - Theme.zip - BigBox theme. Place extracted folder in your LAUNCHBOX\Themes folder
  • Editorial Noir - COMMUNITY Project files.zip - Creator Project files. Place extracted folder in your COMMUNITY\My Theme Projects folder

Credits

Original theme by chicuelo. Find it here: https://retropie.org.uk/forum/topic/25351/epic-noir-dark-mode-theme
COMMUNITY Theme Creator by @y2guru. Find it here: https://forums.launchbox-app.com/files/file/2115-community-theme-creator-for-bigbox/
My Twitch Channel: https://www.twitch.tv/retrofaeran
My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2C5q0Muy-ehYpZUIIdJ94Q

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

Hello Faeran and everyone else!
This theme is exactly what i was looking for...sleek, dark, elegant and fast, therefor i'm gonna mod it for my personal build (and eventually share whatever good comes out).

My only actual problem is with the Community Theme Creator files...if i do select a playlist in the menu everything crashes and i get an exception error. Can't paste the text content because the program becomes unresponsive, so i'll attach a screenshot.
I'm using version 1.0.8.2 but this happened with previous versions as well.

Any idea how to fix this and why is it happening?

Ku7ush

themcreatorcrash.png

3 hours ago, ilcomandantecobra said:

This theme is exactly what i was looking for...sleek, dark, elegant and fast, therefor i'm gonna mod it for my personal build (and eventually share whatever good comes out).

My only actual problem is with the Community Theme Creator files...if i do select a playlist in the menu everything crashes and i get an exception error. Can't paste the text content because the program becomes unresponsive, so i'll attach a screenshot.

Ku7ush

themcreatorcrash.png

Thanks @ilcomandantecobra. If you haven't already, go to the community theme creator forum thread and post your issue with the theme creator there. I'm sure @y2guru will be happy to work with you to figure out the issue with it.

Can't wait to see your mods of this theme.

3 hours ago, ilcomandantecobra said:

Ku7ush

themcreatorcrash.png

please zip up the LaunchBox\Data folder and send it to me directly in a personal email.    I will debug in a few hours (lunchtime) and if i find the issue i will send you a version to confirm that it works at which point ill post an update on the forum

A828C8D3-1ECF-48E8-9F63-558BBD6155BA.thumb.png.150d5b48b4f2715c7a5e4cc69de22504.png

• 4 weeks later...

Editorial Noir with Horizontal WheelGC.thumb.jpg.9b264333555c7d904daedc8bb1711d98.jpg

1. Platform View 2 (Nintendo Gamecube)

Genesis.thumb.jpg.3d9c4268080e704d19022d603b6a4c9f.jpg2. Platform View 2 (Sega Genesis)

Over the past week I have been working on a horizontal view for the Editorial Noir theme ported by Faeran. I wanted to experiment with a black and white printed newspaper style to embrace the themes presented with Epic Noir by chicuelo. I have built out the new platform view 2 wallpapers and controller images independently from platform view 1, which allows the user to switch between the two styles from within the same theme. 

If anyone would like to make additional platform images, the size is 2050 x 950. I then used a tone map in affinity to make the images black and white. I am sure photoshop has a similar tone map profile. Below I will post other platform images that have been stylized. 

Please let me know your thoughts if this style direction is something people would be interested in. Black and white images really pop on high contrast displays. With community creator 1.0.8.5 just releasing, it appears there are new tools to flesh out a truly unique black and white theme. 

-- Thank you to Faeran and Y2guru for your work in helping make theme creation mainstream. 

212940715_Starfox(Nintendo64).thumb.jpg.3a351c2d05f85b42c18a4503270933bf.jpgNintendo 64 (Star Fox)

127325768_ShadowoftheColossus(PS2).thumb.jpg.fc36c18c2aa57d97f36265a2cd8d83f1.jpgPlaystation 2 (Shadow of the Colossus) 572024745_SuperMetroid(SNES).thumb.jpg.ddf53187ff2a3e3335730ad06fc46954.jpg

SNES (Super Metroid)

• Unusual Gem 1

• 7 months later...
On 8/22/2020 at 5:33 PM, corrax said:

Editorial Noir with Horizontal WheelGC.thumb.jpg.9b264333555c7d904daedc8bb1711d98.jpg

1. Platform View 2 (Nintendo Gamecube)

Genesis.thumb.jpg.3d9c4268080e704d19022d603b6a4c9f.jpg2. Platform View 2 (Sega Genesis)

Over the past week I have been working on a horizontal view for the Editorial Noir theme ported by Faeran. I wanted to experiment with a black and white printed newspaper style to embrace the themes presented with Epic Noir by chicuelo. I have built out the new platform view 2 wallpapers and controller images independently from platform view 1, which allows the user to switch between the two styles from within the same theme. 

If anyone would like to make additional platform images, the size is 2050 x 950. I then used a tone map in affinity to make the images black and white. I am sure photoshop has a similar tone map profile. Below I will post other platform images that have been stylized. 

Please let me know your thoughts if this style direction is something people would be interested in. Black and white images really pop on high contrast displays. With community creator 1.0.8.5 just releasing, it appears there are new tools to flesh out a truly unique black and white theme. 

-- Thank you to Faeran and Y2guru for your work in helping make theme creation mainstream. 

212940715_Starfox(Nintendo64).thumb.jpg.3a351c2d05f85b42c18a4503270933bf.jpgNintendo 64 (Star Fox)

127325768_ShadowoftheColossus(PS2).thumb.jpg.fc36c18c2aa57d97f36265a2cd8d83f1.jpgPlaystation 2 (Shadow of the Colossus) 572024745_SuperMetroid(SNES).thumb.jpg.ddf53187ff2a3e3335730ad06fc46954.jpg

SNES (Super Metroid)

It looks pretty cool. Wanna share it?