LaunchBox Community Forums

Help With Exiting MAME From Pause Menu in BB

arcadeknight

Hey,

Not sure exactly what's going on, but when I'm playing an arcade game using MAME 0.222 through BB, when I'm done with the game and head to the pause menu to 'Exit' it just sends me right back to the game. This same process is working for all my other platforms, but for some reason not for MAME. Is this normal, or is there something extra I need to set up for it to work?

Thanks for any help, I really appreciate it!

Edited by arcadeknight

I press the player one and player two start at the same time to exit out of MAME.  I’m using an I-PAC controller board.  Pressing these buttons appears to send an esc key to MAME, which exits the game, otherwise, I have to press the esc key on my keyboard.  The EXIT in the pause menu is just getting you out of the menu, not the game. 

14 hours ago, BrashPsycho said:

I press the player one and player two start at the same time to exit out of MAME.  I’m using an I-PAC controller board.  Pressing these buttons appears to send an esc key to MAME, which exits the game, otherwise, I have to press the esc key on my keyboard.  The EXIT in the pause menu is just getting you out of the menu, not the game. 

That's incorrect. The Exit in the LaunchBox/BigBox Pause Menu is also for exiting a game.

On 7/5/2020 at 7:00 AM, arcadeknight said:

Hey,

Not sure exactly what's going on, but when I'm playing an arcade game using MAME 0.222 through BB, when I'm done with the game and head to the pause menu to 'Exit' it just sends me right back to the game. This same process is working for all my other platforms, but for some reason not for MAME. Is this normal, or is there something extra I need to set up for it to work?

Thanks for any help, I really appreciate it!

Inside Mame's controller mapping did you set the command for "Cancel UI" to be the same buttons you set inside LB/BB controller/keyboard settings for exiting a game? Typically we recommend doing that. Mame should exit fine from both your controller and from the Pause menu without the need for any AHK script.

If you do not have your mapping set like I mentioned set it up that way and test.

What version of Mame are you using (standard Mame, MameUI, Arcade64)?

Thanks for correcting me.  Honesty, I didn’t even check.  I’m still figuring out how to map all of my buttons and only went into the MAME menu a few times and found out I could exit by pressing the two start buttons.  Which was much easier than opening the menu, scrolling to exit and pressing yet button to select exit.  I’ll have to look at the “pause” menu closer.  I might have been thinking about the “tab” configuration menu. 

@Retro808

Thank you! I couldn't find an 'Exit UI' option to map to my controller in MAME, But I cleaned up my controller mappings a little bit in MAME and upon testing 'exit' again in the BB Pause Menu, things seemed to work out fine.

As for MAME version, I think it's just the standard MAME; I got it from mamedev.org. But I did download that MAMEUI a little while back before using LB/BB. I never really use the MAMEUI though. Anytime I use MAME, I just click the mame64.exe rather than my mameui64.exe. I'm practically brand new to all emulation, so I really don't know what I'm doing or if I even need the MAMEUI. I've just pretty much been downloading everything on the assumption that I need everything.

While the exiting issue seems to be resolved, just for reference though, where exactly would the 'Exit UI' mapping option be in MAME? I didn't see it in the list of options in the general inputs, misc inputs, or other inputs. Is it referred to something other than 'Exit UI'?