LaunchBox Community Forums

PS1 audio and video glitches

d2produce

So I was playing Jet Moto 2 with launchbox and epsxe 2.0.5 emulator and every game the startup skips and has pops in the audio very annoying, and when I play jet moto sometimes the video and audio lag causing pauses and sometimes pops in the audio.  I'm using an AMD processor and Ryezn RX 580 graphics card it's odd that these games don't run 100% smoothly.  Do you think upgrading to the latest intel with the latest GeForce graphics card would fix this problem?

edit:  It's a Ryzen 7 16 core processor

Edited by d2produce
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, d2produce said:

So I was playing Jet Moto 2 with launchbox and epsxe 2.0.5 emulator and every game the startup skips and has pops in the audio very annoying, and when I play jet moto sometimes the video and audio lag causing pauses and sometimes pops in the audio.  I'm using an AMD processor and Ryezn RX 580 graphics card it's odd that these games don't run 100% smoothly.  Do you think upgrading to the latest intel with the latest GeForce graphics card would fix this problem?

"AMD Processor" doesnt really tell us much, it could be 20 years old or it could be the XT models released today. The GPU may or may not be releveant as you didnt state what settings you are using in the emulator or if you are using any upscaling or other enhancement features. Generally though audio popping and stuttering is because your hardware isnt good enough to run that emulator, or to run it with the settings you have specified. 

2 hours ago, neil9000 said:

"AMD Processor" doesnt really tell us much, it could be 20 years old or it could be the XT models released today. The GPU may or may not be releveant as you didnt state what settings you are using in the emulator or if you are using any upscaling or other enhancement features. Generally though audio popping and stuttering is because your hardware isnt good enough to run that emulator, or to run it with the settings you have specified. 

Well is there a website where I can plug in my processor/video card stats for any emulator and it spits out the exact settings I should using? Cuz if not, there should be because that would be very handy......drop down menus where u select processor, etc etc etc......and select emulator......and BOOM screenshots of all the settings.  Cuz as of now, it's impossible for me as a end user to know what settings are best as I did not create the emulators nor am I familiar with Game emulation so terms like Anti-Aliasing for example mean nothing to me.  Is there a website that even Attempts to share which settings are best because Google and Youtube in this case haven't been my friend because I can't find squat.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, d2produce said:

Is there a website that even Attempts to share which settings are best because Google and Youtube in this case haven't been my friend because I can't find squat.

There are no "best" settings, thats why there are so many to play with in emulators. It depends on many factors whether a game runs well in a emulator, also dont forget that emulators are far from perfect a lot of the time and use hacks themselves to get things working, not to mention every game is different and one may emulate 100% perfect and the next game you try with the exact same settings may look and run like absolute trash.

Then you get onto emulators like pcsx2 for PS2, that needs different emulator settings on a per game basis.

So to answer your question, no there is no site with "best" settings, as what may work for you may not work for me. It seems to me these days people are to scared to touch anything on there systems anymore. The emulator has options, your PC wont explode if you mess around with them to see what they do and if they help.

• Like 1

i'm surprised there's not a website that has even generalized settings for the MOST POPULAR setups even a  site with like  "High End AMD"  "Low End AMD" "High End Intel" etc, etc, that offers GENERAL settings on a per game or even per emulator basis would be nice.  Cuz Emulators are great, yes they let you play games (sometimes) but that's the only reason I use them to play games.......not to play with emulators LOL.   So it would be nice if there was a place that offered even generalized information for ranges of cpu/gpu types that at least hinted at and maybe hit the mark on 80%+ of the setting requried to run these games smoothly.  Otherwise it's like stop and go.......ur chilling with ur friend and its like.......oh we can't play that.........oops we can't play that........hold on let me google for a half hour and try to fix this.    When 60% of your time is playing the emulator and not the game......it can ruin the original intent of having an emulator in the first place.  So it would be nice if there was a centralized website that offered a gamut of settings based on the user's input as to which specific or just TYPE of hardware they're using.  Cuz ya every cpu/gpu is different but there must be FAMILIES of each hardwdare that can be blanket covered when it comes to best emulation settings on a per system or per game basis. 

Edited by d2produce
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, d2produce said:

Cuz as of now, it's impossible for me as a end user to know what settings are best as I did not create the emulators nor am I familiar with Game emulation so terms like Anti-Aliasing for example mean nothing to me.  Is there a website that even Attempts to share which settings are best because Google and Youtube in this case haven't been my friend because I can't find squat.

Having said that, is there a specific reason you are using epsxe? You could try RetroArch and one of it's 3 PSX cores might work better for you.

So Mednafen_psx_hw was working but the I reset windows and upgraded to 2004 build and now when I try to run beetle_psx_hw it is a black screen.....scratchy noise......then crashes.  Even the mednafen_psx regular isnt' working, and the ReArmed one just shows a maroon screen no sound.  I tried low settings, high settings to no avail.  So far epsxe works the smoothest with the occasional pops of sound and the pause in play.

Edited by d2produce