LaunchBox Community Forums

Request: Audit local roms against launchbox database

SteveT79

• 3 weeks later...

Why would you even want to, our database isnt complete? There is no point auditing against something that isnt complete, and our database is user run, so there are also bound to be tons of mistakes and spelling errors in there. Its really not ideal data to be using as any sort of audit data.

• 2 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, pixelcide said:

Because something is better than nothing?

lol

It would be nice to have a tool that did an audit and told you what games you were missing.

For example, theres 50 games released on the Atari Jaguar in North America. Let's say you're trying to collect them all and you have 49 in Launchbox. To find which one you're missing, you'd have to get a list of the 50 games and compare them to your library one by one to figure out which one you don't have.

Pressing a button to do an audit and potentially finding out in a few seconds would save you a ton of time. Even more if you're talking about systems that had hundreds or thousands of games.

We know the database isn't perfect, it still beats the alternative.

Is there any database out there that has a complete library of any game ever released for any platform? Thats the question.

Edit: I don't think there is one

Edited by Mr. RetroLust

Forgive me for not researching before asking/replying, but do the folks at TOSEC make a DAT file of their collections that you could use with something like ClrMamePro to cross your collection(s)?  Seems to me something like that would be the way to go.

But then I'm not sure if there's consistent naming conventions (i.e. Good Tools or something else). And then there's hash checks.  Are those based on official releases (as is No-Intro) as well as hacks and versioning?    Shheesh.... when I started typing this, it almost seemed too easy.  Then I started [over]thinking it. lol

Personally I'd rather see the LaunchBox Team continue working on LaunchBox/BigBox as a feature-rich "Frontend" rather than rom management.  As we know, if they were to put even just one of their programmers on the rom management side of things, they'd use up 50% of their resources.

Regardless, I'm sure the're tools out that can cross check your set against some 'known' (DAT or xml from a reliable source).  And if so, just do that or maybe have someone create a third party app/plugin that can use those, to do that inside LB/BB.  (the latter may be tricky depending on EULA's of sort)