LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox isn't Starting

angelobodetti

32 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Thanks for helping us troubleshoot this; hopefully we can get it figured out. It's apparently some kind of system-specific issue, but I'm still not quite sure what's causing it.

Can you try installing a separate copy of LaunchBox to a different folder on your machine? That should help us determine if it's somehow a configuration issue with the LaunchBox installation, or if it's with LaunchBox itself.

boots up if I do a new install in a different folder

8 minutes ago, smolz said:

sent, what interesting is if I delete everything in that folder and paste in the one from the working install it still doesn't start. 

also, original install is on drive e: the one that works was to the default directory of 

c:\users\$username\Launchbox

33 minutes ago, smolz said:

also, original install is on drive e: the one that works was to the default directory of 

c:\users\$username\Launchbox

Yeah, no issues with your Data folder that I can see (loads up fine on mine). That leaves us with a few possibilities:

• Some files are incorrect in the LaunchBox installation somehow (which doesn't really make sense if the install is completing successfully)
  • A theme or plugin is causing issues (but we've already ruled that out for the most part)
  • Somehow some media files are broken and causing issues (should be a rare situation)
  • The hard drive file system is corrupt

All seem to be fairly unlikely scenarios, but I don't know what else it would be. What I would try first is temporarily moving your media folders out of the LaunchBox folder to see if it still happens.

13 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Yeah, no issues with your Data folder that I can see (loads up fine on mine). That leaves us with a few possibilities:

• Some files are incorrect in the LaunchBox installation somehow (which doesn't really make sense if the install is completing successfully)
  • A theme or plugin is causing issues (but we've already ruled that out for the most part)
  • Somehow some media files are broken and causing issues (should be a rare situation)
  • The hard drive file system is corrupt

All seem to be fairly unlikely scenarios, but I don't know what else it would be. What I would try first is temporarily moving your media folders out of the LaunchBox folder to see if it still happens.

No idea, if I move the Games/Images/Manuals/Metadata/Sounds/Videos/Music folders out of the install folder it still won't work.  Even tried moving the Data folder and still nothing.  Another data point, if I move the working install from c:\users\$username\Launchbox to the e drive it also stops working.

4 minutes ago, smolz said:

No idea, if I move the Games/Images/Manuals/Metadata/Sounds/Videos/Music folders out of the install folder it still won't work.  Even tried moving the Data folder and still nothing.  Another data point, if I move the working install from c:\users\$username\Launchbox to the e drive it also stops working.

I see, okay, well that actually explains some of what's going on. It's either a permissions issue of some sort (most likely) or a corrupted file system. You can run chkdsk to make sure it's not the file system.

What type of drive is your E drive? Is it an external USB drive?

5 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

I see, okay, well that actually explains some of what's going on. It's either a permissions issue of some sort (most likely) or a corrupted file system. You can run chkdsk to make sure it's not the file system.

What type of drive is your E drive? Is it an external USB drive?

error checking reports nothing.  Drive e is a 1tb internal spinning disk.

2 minutes ago, smolz said:

really did not want to install, kept getting all sorts of messages from windows telling me how dangerous it was.  Trying to launch it after the many, many warning gives a warning that it cannot open a plugin, see pic.

Screen Shot 2020-08-17 at 4.19.13 PM.png

It looks like somehow LaunchBox was installed into the wrong folder. If you look at the folder path, it looks like it was installed inside of your Plugins folder for some reason? Instead of installing it to E:\LaunchBox, it looks like it got installed to E:\LaunchBox\Plugins\LaunchBox. I'm not sure if that's the whole issue here (it probably could be), or if this just happened with the new version. You'll probably want to delete the E:\LaunchBox\Plugins\LaunchBox folder (assuming that's not where all your data and media is), and then reinstall to the E:\LaunchBox folder.

Also, what messages are you receiving from Windows about it being dangerous? Can you give me screenshots or the text of those messages?

cant show the warnings as I already accepted them all so re-running the install is not bringing them up.  but it was all of them, from when I first clicked on it and a couple of more times during the install, 1 of them came from smart screen?  Deleted everything in the plugin folder as it was empty previously, now it loads right up.  Not sure where that came from as I even looked in the backup I did of the folder before I started and it wasn't there.  verified that if I install beta 13 over top it stops working and reinstalling beta 14 on top of that everything works again.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, smolz said:

cant show the warnings as I already accepted them all so re-running the install is not bringing them up.  but it was all of them, from when I first clicked on it and a couple of more times during the install, 1 of them came from smart screen?  Deleted everything in the plugin folder as it was empty previously, now it loads right up.  Not sure where that came from as I even looked in the backup I did of the folder before I started and it wasn't there.  verified that if I install beta 13 over top it stops working and reinstalling beta 14 on top of that everything works again.

Okay great, so it sounds like you're good to go then, right? :)