LaunchBox Community Forums

Launching MAME or Stell (atari 2600) games will just open the program instead of the game itself...

dtox_ftw

Having trouble getting either to work like the rest of my emulators.  I tried using retroarch but all the tutorials use the old PS UI rip-off and don't translate well.  I'd prefer to avoid retroarch in the first place, as all my other emulators work great and I just want the Atari 2600 games to launch like everything else. Any help is appreciated.

fWJZWDH.jpg

Just now, neil9000 said:

I cant specifically help with stella, as i have never had to use it.

That does seem a bit reductive, as that may well be the best way to play that system. 

Ill tag @Lordmonkus here, whom i believe has used stella.

I guess I'm confused on what retrarch is then, because from the tutorials im watching, it seems like its just an alternative to LauncBox... like... I still have to DL mame or stella anyway.

1 minute ago, dtox_ftw said:

I guess I'm confused on what retrarch is then, because from the tutorials im watching, it seems like its just an alternative to LauncBox... like... I still have to DL mame or stella anyway.

Retroarch is a collection of emulators, that they call "cores". If you want to play games from all the 8 or 16 bit consoles, then Retroarch is the easiest way. Set up you display and controller options once, and use across all those systems.

1 minute ago, neil9000 said:

Retroarch is a collection of emulators, that they call "cores". If you want to play games from all the 8 or 16 bit consoles, then Retroarch is the easiest way. Set up you display and controller options once, and use across all those systems.

hmmm, ill give it another go, will try and find a newer tutorial since the UI has changed.

Just now, Retro808 said:

Stella should not need much. I just set it up in a few minutes. Did you add your rom path to Setlla? Also do you have your Atarti 2600 platform name in the Associated Platforms tabs in Launchbox?

yes, and yes. But instead of launching the game it simply opens the stella app. I'll triple check my paths and report back

Just now, dtox_ftw said:

hmmm, ill give it another go, will try and find a newer tutorial since the UI has changed.

Th UI has, but in a good way. Its much better now, and has good descriptions now when you hover on a option. Setup your controller in it, and then use it for nes/snes/n64/gamecube/wii, master system/mega drive/game gear/ saturn/dreamcast. 2600/5200/7800, PS1. to name just a few. 

7 minutes ago, dtox_ftw said:

yes, and yes. But instead of launching the game it simply opens the stella app. I'll triple check my paths and report back

I would double check inside Stella. I notice in the pic you posted there is no path listed in the image. In mine when I open Stella.exe my rom path is showing.

Screen Shot 2020-08-12 at 5.17.54 PM.png

8 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

I would double check inside Stella. I notice in the pic you posted there is no path listed in the image. In mine when I open Stella.exe my rom path is showing.

Screen Shot 2020-08-12 at 5.17.54 PM.png

Actually, when I open Stella all by itself it shows my rom folder and list of roms. Its just when launching a game via LaunchBox that is giving me the issue.

8 minutes ago, dtox_ftw said:

ohh... I assume you mean set a path within Stella itself? I haven't messed with that yet. Thought that LaunchBox would open it via Stella like all the other emulators.

1.JPG

LB will never set anything up in an emulator. It will not alter any settings either. You have to set the emulator up first. Best practice is to always set the emulator up, set your controls, test your games in the emulator and then import stuff into LB.

Also in the image above you do not need that default command line not sure why you added that. Also do not need the check boxes for Don't Use Quotes and Use file name only.

Screen Shot 2020-08-12 at 5.27.16 PM.png

2 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

Also in the image above you do not need that default command line not sure why you added that. Also do not need the check boxes for Don't Use Quotes and Use file name only.

Yup, seems like someone took the MAME command line and just used it for a non MAME emulator, and the asked for support as it didnt work with a unrelated emulator.