LaunchBox Community Forums

I need YOUR help with my biggest "launcher" decision!

alfredolvera

Hi guys. I will try to make this post as brief as possible:

As I’m writing this, my Windows installation is acting funny and two of my hard drives are dying. I ordered a new one and it just arrived and with the weekend now at hand, now it’s the perfect opportunity for me to do a format and clean install of everything. That includes making a backup of my LB installation and voilà, I’m up and running... Or, taking this opportunity to start fresh with another launcher.

For the past 3 years of using BB, I’ve seen with envy how much progress other launchers have come in terms of a TV-optimized UI have come. Just a couple of examples:

Pegasus.

Who I personally talked to this theme developer, (who is a UI designer in his professional life, BTW) offered him money to port his theme to BB and he said that before Pegasus, he started the theme on BB, but found out it was pretty much impossible to do it and he went with Pegasus instead.

Playnite.

As I’ve talked before here and here and the last time I tried talking about this topic from july 2019, it appears that main issue with BB and the one I’ve been tracking progress for the past +2 years is the lack of support or advancements with the wall view. 95% or so of the themes for BB that have been launched for the past 18 months, new and old, don’t support it and with a good reason: theme developers have told me publicly that its simply not much that you can do with it. I even put on a bounty for anyone interested in creating a TV UI optimized (not wheel or list based) and not a single theme developer came forward.

I’m a 37yo man. As many of you, I don’t have a lot of time to manage (let’s not even talk about “playing”) my games. Having and maintaining two launchers, organized and functional, isn’t a possibility for me and now it’s the time where I have to decide what to do. I saw that there’s some option to use Pegasus with LB’s database but that’s also out of the question: Pegasus, in it’s efforts to make it cross-platform isn’t very elegant or efficient with LB’s ways, and for example, all my Steam games that use a INK or URL “executable” don’t work with this method. Also, the community there is small and the developer’s efforts (that are great) are few and far between. I would have to start fresh with Pegasus or better yet: Playnite that it’s starting to grow its community and the developer has been very active with development and support for the past year.

I love LaunchBox and I love Jason: Both his ability to code an unrivaled and perfectly organized and functional database/launcher, and what he stands for personally. I’ve decided several years to continue my yearly BB plan instead of the lifetime one to further support him and LB. But it’s time for me to make a decision because even if I value the way I organize them, I also value in the same height the visual experience of how I select and launch them.

TLDR: So, this is why I come to you, guys: Do you know if Unbroken Soft. has any current plans/desire/interest to have better support and theme customization and/or theme handling of the wallview or any “grid” methods in particular? Because if I can, I don't want to change launchers and start a library again, but the advancements in other ones are too good for me to ignore.

Hope @Jason Carr @C-Beats or any if you guys can help me with this decision.

Thanks for reading this long-ass post. I truly am. ?

Edited by alfredolvera

The wall view overhaul was on the community poll and was voted in at #18, which means it barely made it into the top half. But as we only have a handful of items left that haven't been tackled from the top half of the poll items, it should happen here soon. Whether or not it'll do exactly what you're looking for though @alfredolvera, I don't know. We'll make it as customizable as we can.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

The wall view overhaul was on the community poll and was voted in at #18, which means it barely made it into the top half. But as we only have a handful of items left that haven't been tackled from the top half of the poll items, it should happen here soon. Whether or not it'll do exactly what you're looking for though @alfredolvera, I don't know. We'll make it as customizable as we can.

WOW! ? That's enough for me, @Jason Carr. Decision made! I'll be sticking with LB and with my support for the foreseeable future!

When planning for that overhaul, I would also politely ask for you to look at my 2 video examples above to see (IMHO) the current quality bar with Wall Views on looks, performance, features and flexibility that are on the launcher market and that I would also love to see in BB.

With your response, I’m more than confident that I’m supporting the best launcher. Thank you so much for taking the time and effort to read and write your reply.

Rock on, LB community and Devs! ?

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I was wondering about this too. Grid(Wall) View is absolutely essential for me, though for now I found some compromises.

Playnite is very rough, and their fullscreen mode is nice but it's very barebones - it's due for an update "soon".

Anyways, just wanted to voice my full support for this, probably my #1 issue with LaunchBox right now.