LaunchBox Community Forums

SEARCH FORUM NEEDED

xenotoca

this forum really needs a search function. I have added Dreamcast games to launchbox and they show up but do not load, this problem may already be answered but if so were.

Added them using the NAOMI - ATOMISWAVE Reicast RetroArch - LaunchBox Tutorial substituting dreamcast for naomi and the flycast core as the tutorials are so out of date and bear no resembalance to the look of launchbox 11,2

Edited by xenotoca
spelling

15 minutes ago, xenotoca said:

this forum really needs a search function.

You mean like the one at the top right of the forum page?

Screen Shot 2020-08-25 at 7.17.31 AM.pngAs far as Dreamcast goes, first things to confirm is do your games run in Retroarch directly (without using LaunchBox)? If they I would recommend sharing pics of your set-up so we can see if something is missing.

1: Edit your Retroarch in LB and post pic of the Edit Emulator Screen showing A: The "Details" tab / B: The Associated Platforms Tab (make sure the platform name is fully visible)

2: Right click a game from the platform and choose edit. Show a pic of  A: the "Launching" page / B: the "Emulation" page.

imported some dreamcast games into launchbox and they show up no problem but nothing happens when I try to launch them???

suspect they need custom command line parameters whatever the hell they are????????????

Retroarch paylists are far easier to set up even though it does not walk you through the setup wereas launchbox does then leaves you at the end when nothing works and no error code or explanation why. Also every upgrade completely alters the program??????? why

25 minutes ago, xenotoca said:

imported some dreamcast games into launchbox and they show up no problem but nothing happens when I try to launch them???

suspect they need custom command line parameters whatever the hell they are????????????

I am merging your threads since they are both about your problems getting Dreamcast games to launch. Please do not start separate threads with the same issues. We do not stress a lot of forum rules here. However, we do try to keep unnecessary duplicate posts to a minimum.

See my response to your original post and we can help troubleshoot.

3 minutes ago, xenotoca said:

grey on black hard to see with my 77 year old eyes. Yes they run fine in retroarch

if you have to do 1 &2 to get games to run then i will stick with retroarch as there is no clue as to what is wrong

1.png.png

2.png.png

From the looks of it I am going to say that you have the wrong platform name in the Associated Platforms tabs. Just below the last image I can see "Sega Dreamcast" peaking out and in the Associated Platforms tab you simply have "Dreamcast". The way you have the Platform named in LB has to match what you enter in the Associated Platforms tab. 

58 minutes ago, xenotoca said:

LaunchBox Tutorial substituting dreamcast for naomi

Also i'm pretty sure "substituting Dreamcast for Noami" is your issue, both for why they dont work, and your "attitude" for there being no messaging in the UI. Dreamcast and Arcade games that use a Dreamcast emulator usually need different emulator settings, you are simply using the wrong tutorial video, thats not the fault of the program, or the forums, its you using the wrong tool for the job.

3 minutes ago, xenotoca said:

changed it to sega dreamcast same rusult. Launchbox has got far to complicated from its early beginnings and the tutorials so out of date as to be useless. Looks like you need a degree in computer science to use it. 

No. Still just as simple as it ever was. It has not changed how emulators are added, nor how games are. There have been a coupe minor tweaks, like no longer needing to type in the core for Retroarch. Outside of that much of how you add games and emulators remains the same.

In fact the tutorial @neil9000 linked is close to two years old and is still relevant.

2 minutes ago, xenotoca said:

Launchbox has got far to complicated from its early beginnings and the tutorials so out of date as to be useless. Looks like you need a degree in computer science to use it. 

lol, thats just simply not true, its the easiest to use frontend there is. Try reading my previous reply, you are doing it wrong, thats your fault, not the programs.

that is the tutorial I used. most programmes tell you what the error is but launchbox does not a sends you to the forum were they just insult you

it is not easier than retroarch i can get all the  cores to work with playlists. Telling me I am doing it wrong is not helping, please tell me were am I doing it wrong. Y am not computer illiterate. .

1 minute ago, xenotoca said:

most programmes tell you what the error is

That would be correct if it was a error in the actual program, but its not. Launchbox does not know how any emulator needs to be setup, this is because you can use any emulator you like and your roms can be in any file format you like, there is simply no right or wrong way to import a system, it completely depends on the emulator and the files being used.

This is not a lack of error logging, in the UI, simply because there is no error happening, the only error here is between chair and computer.

Also why are you calling the platform Sega Dreamcast when that isnt the platform you are importing, that isnt going to help matters either, and again thats a choice you have for some reason decided to make and not a problem with Launchbox, it just does what you tell it, if that info it is fed is just a jumbled mess and incorrect what is Launchbox supposed to do about it?

14 minutes ago, xenotoca said:

that is the tutorial I used. most programmes tell you what the error is but launchbox does not a sends you to the forum were they just insult you

No one insulted you. You just came in here with such a sharp negative attitude towards LB and we simply offered countering statements. In fact we even offered help. I asked you to provide images we would need to see where the disconnect is and you provided some of what we needed and then proceeded to say if you had to do 1 and 2 to get games to run you would just stick with RA. Well, if you are not going to provide what we ask for to help you what good is that?

Let's start from the beginning ok?

1: What platform are you importing exactly? Are you importing Sega Dreamcast or Sega Naomi?

sega dreamcast wince files as they do not run in redream but do in flycast when you floow a tutorial parts of which are nothing like the launchbox 11.2 and it does not work after two day of trying to work out what is wrong it gets frustrating.

what exactly do you need me to provede you

reply delayed had to go and empty the recycling (i am in france at present)

1 minute ago, xenotoca said:

sega dreamcast wince files as they do not run in redream but do in flycast when you floow a tutorial parts of which are nothing like the launchbox 11.2 and it does not work after two day of trying to work out what is wrong it gets frustrating.

what exactly do you need me to provede you

reply delayed had to go and empty the recycling (i am in france at present)

No worries on the time difference/delays. OK just wanted to make sure there was some confusion on if you were importing Naomi or Sega Dreamcast.

Since your Dreamcast games work in Retroarch with the FLycat core that means there is a disconnect in LB.

Choose on of your Dreamcast games and right click, then edit. Show me 3 pics (Pics are the best way for us to spot anything at odds)

1: Pic of the Metadata tab

2: Pic of the Launching tab

3: Pic of the Emulation tab

right I have cleared the the dreamcast import and just imported i game Sega Rally 2 as I know this works fine in retroarch (not in redream as it is windows ce )

first 3 pics as you requested next two from manage emulators last one the launchbox screen I am trying to launch from

hope these help

metadata.png

launching.png

emulation.png

emu details.png

platforms.png

launch screen.png

ok corrected and relaunched still no go even went to launch with retroarc flycast and still no go so typo not the issue now?????

have found out what is wrong imported the game and edited out all the file except the GDI file as i did not want all the other files to show. and could find no way of stopping them showing on the launch menu. Obviously editing them out also deleted them from the games folder.

Easy when you know how  I originally seems a bit picky  just had Dreamcast in the associated platforms tab does it have to be sega dreamcast

5 minutes ago, xenotoca said:

does it have to be sega dreamcast

It has to be what you called the platform when you imported it. Launchbox needs to know which core to load when starting a Sega Dreamcast game as that is what you called the platform in Launchbox, so if that exact platform isnt in the associated platform tab it doesnt know what to load the game to. For example you cant import a Nintendo 64 platform, then in the associated platforms section call the platform SNES, it obviously wont know what to do with Nintendo 64 now as there would be no core associated with the platform.