LaunchBox Community Forums

Just updated to 11.3, errors in BigBox

Kuro Houou

7 minutes ago, Kuro Houou said:

So I just updated to BigBox, had to do a .Net update as well which I did and rebooted...

When I open big box I get an error saying "An error occured while parsing the custom PlatformWheel2FiltersView..."  Any ideas how to fix this?  Is rolling back to 11.2 easy??

image.thumb.png.c7cb607362cf8dbebe925fbb1ceffdac.png

That is specifically a theme issue, what theme are you using?

Just now, Jason Carr said:

Hi @Kuro Houou, is that a network drive? It looks like it's having trouble creating the necessary folder symlinks.

Yes, I have LaunchBox on a network drive.  I can run Launchbox and BigBox though.. the Themes folder is empty though where it is looking for that xml file.. not sure why its empty I redownloaded the theme even.

LaunchBox is trying to create a symlink for LaunchBox\Core\Themes to automatically go to the LaunchBox\Themes folder, but it appears that it can't over the network drive (though I'm not sure why). It may be that that is not supported for network drives in Windows though, I'm not sure. Regardless, we do not recommend running LaunchBox or Big Box over a network drive; that is an unsupported scenario. You can certainly put ROMs on a network drive (I do that myself), but putting the actual app on a network drive is not recommended.

21 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

LaunchBox is trying to create a symlink for LaunchBox\Core\Themes to automatically go to the LaunchBox\Themes folder, but it appears that it can't over the network drive (though I'm not sure why). It may be that that is not supported for network drives in Windows though, I'm not sure. Regardless, we do not recommend running LaunchBox or Big Box over a network drive; that is an unsupported scenario. You can certainly put ROMs on a network drive (I do that myself), but putting the actual app on a network drive is not recommended.

Yeah, must be something with the symlinks... This all worked fine in the last version though.  The reason I have LB on a network drive is the massive size of all the videos/images/music etc, its very large to say the least and I want to run BigBox on multiple computers around my house, some with limited drive space.  Just curious why this used to work and doesn't now.. seems like a feature that used to work..

Guess ill have to figure out how to roll back and hope this gets fixed in the next version as it makes it unusable for me :(

Edited by Kuro Houou

21 minutes ago, Kuro Houou said:

Yeah, must be something with the symlinks... This all worked fine in the last version though.  The reason I have LB on a network drive is the massive size of all the videos/images/music etc, its very large to say the least and I want to run BigBox on multiple computers around my house, some with limited drive space.  Just curious why this used to work and doesn't now.. seems like a feature that used to work..

Guess ill have to figure out how to roll back and hope this gets fixed in the next version as it makes it unusable for me :(

Unfortunately the .NET Core upgrade forced our hand on this. You can easily roll back using the 11.2 Setup in the LaunchBox\Updates folder, but I can't promise that we'll be fixing that particular issue.

1 minute ago, Jason Carr said:

Unfortunately the .NET Core upgrade forced our hand on this. You can easily roll back using the 11.2 Setup in the LaunchBox\Updates folder, but I can't promise that we'll be fixing that particular issue.

Is there a repo with older versions? I don't have 11.2 in my updates folder.. probably because I started with 11.2 ;)

I do hope this can be fixed in the future.. not sure why you all create symlinks to these folders in the core folder and don't just use the original paths.. I am not a pro-programmer by any means.. but just wondering what the logic is there.

12 minutes ago, Kuro Houou said:

not sure why you all create symlinks to these folders in the core folder and don't just use the original paths.. I am not a pro-programmer by any means.. but just wondering what the logic is there.

With all due respect, this would not have been decided on, if it was not absolutely needed. Sometimes big decisions have to be made. In this case, what would of been your personal preference? Keep things as they always were, meaning we are stuck and cannot improve, or fix it so that we can make everything better, some now, some later, but with a maybe hicup somewhere in the road?

Apologies if you hit a hiccup, but thousands others didnt.

10 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

With all due respect, this would not have been decided on, if it was not absolutely needed. Sometimes big decisions have to be made. In this case, what would of been your personal preference? Keep things as they always were, meaning we are stuck and cannot improve, or fix it so that we can make everything better, some now, some later, but with a maybe hicup somewhere in the road?

Apologies if you hit a hiccup, but thousands others didnt.

I understand change is necessary.. I was just asking what the thought process was for using symlinks vs actual links to those folders?  It seems like an unnecessary step imo but again could be proven wrong... was just curious is all, no offense intended.   Just read it is probably related to backwards compatibility to themes, I guess their is a trade off there then... either make theme developers support the latest version that would remove the need for symlinks.. or don't allow people to run LaunchBox on a network share.  Which is more important.. apparently you all decided and not arguing with anyone on it.. just curious is all.

Also I realize I was impacted by this... but I can only assume others run LaunchBox on a network share as well... I can't be the only one :)  If so then by all means don't worry about me, ill figure something out ;)  Again not trying to offend anyone, I THANK all the people working on this as it is a cool product, but its also a product I purchased so some level of support/empathy is always nice ;)

Edited by Kuro Houou

Just now, Kuro Houou said:

I understand change is necessary.. I was just asking what the thought process was for using symlinks vs actual links to those folders?  It seems like an unnecessary step imo but again could be proven wrong... was just curious is all, no offense intended. 

Also I realize I was impacted by this... but I can only assume others run LaunchBox on a network share as well... I can't be the only one :)  If so then by all means don't worry about me, ill figure something out ;)  Again not trying to offend anyone, I thank all the people working on this as it is a cool product, but its also a product I purchased so some level of support/empathy is always nice ;)

Yes, I honestly wish I had a solution for you. Unfortunately I spent 3 days searching for a solution that did not involve the folder symlinks during development, but there just wasn't any other options. You may be able to manually create the necessary symlinks, but I'm not sure if that's possible over a network drive. Certain themes may also not require the symlinks, and most themes can be upgraded to not require the symlinks in the future.

If you're willing to restructure, I can recommend FreeFileSync as an alternative. You can keep your files in your network share and sync them to your various machines (though of course that requires more hard drive space). I find it extremely convenient though because I can always easily undo any changes and re-sync.

7 minutes ago, Kuro Houou said:

I understand change is necessary.. I was just asking what the thought process was for using symlinks vs actual links to those folders?  It seems like an unnecessary step imo but again could be proven wrong... was just curious is all, no offense intended.   Just read it is probably related to backwards compatibility to themes, I guess their is a trade off there then... either make theme developers support the latest version that would remove the need for symlinks.. or don't allow people to run LaunchBox on a network share.  Which is more important.. apparently you all decided and not arguing with anyone on it.. just curious is all.

Also I realize I was impacted by this... but I can only assume others run LaunchBox on a network share as well... I can't be the only one :)  If so then by all means don't worry about me, ill figure something out ;)  Again not trying to offend anyone, I THANK all the people working on this as it is a cool product, but its also a product I purchased so some level of support/empathy is always nice ;)

Jason can obliviously explain on more points than i can.

5 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Yes, I honestly wish I had a solution for you. Unfortunately I spent 3 days searching for a solution that did not involve the folder symlinks during development, but there just wasn't any other options. You may be able to manually create the necessary symlinks, but I'm not sure if that's possible over a network drive. Certain themes may also not require the symlinks, and most themes can be upgraded to not require the symlinks in the future.

If you're willing to restructure, I can recommend FreeFileSync as an alternative. You can keep your files in your network share and sync them to your various machines (though of course that requires more hard drive space). I find it extremely convenient though because I can always easily undo any changes and re-sync.

Thanks, and appreciate your due diligence.   I just tried creating the symlinks myself using windows... but it doesn't like/support symlinks on network shares apparently... You can map a network share to a local disk but that's it (I even tried mapping it to a local drive but that didn't help either).   Right now I am in the process of moving my Roms out of the LaunchBox folder and will see if I can pair down the size of the launchbox folder itself to do just what you said. 

That said... Is there any easy way to move LaunchBox to a local drive, or are their any hard links that might still point to the network path?  Basically can I just sync the folder I have on the network share to a C:\ drive and just use the network folder as a "sync" location for all the local drives to sync to?   Seems like I am going down the same path as you at this point ;)

Edited by Kuro Houou

5 minutes ago, Kuro Houou said:

Thanks, and appreciate your due diligence.   I just tried creating the symlinks myself using windows... but it doesn't like/support symlinks on network shares apparently... You can map a network share to a local disk but that's it (I even tried mapping it to a local drive but that didn't help either).   Right now I am in the process of moving my Roms out of the LaunchBox folder and will see if I can pair down the size of the launchbox folder itself to do just what you said. 

That said... Is there any easy way to move LaunchBox to a local drive, or are their any hard links that might still point to the network path?  Basically can I just sync the folder I have on the network share to a C:\ drive and just use the network folder as a "sync" location for all the local drives to sync to?   Seems like I am going down the same path as you at this point ;)

The good news is that LaunchBox does its best to use relative paths wherever possible. So unless you override it, as long as everything is on the same drive, it should work to relocate it all, yes. :)