LaunchBox Community Forums

Updated launchbox won't open

starfiretbt

Mine wont update it says yo download Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015 i press yes the install for c++ opens a box to find C:\ProgramData\Package Cache\{EEA66967-97E2-4561-A999-5C22E3CDE428}v14.25.28508\packages\vcRuntimeMinimum_amd64\ that cant find and dont run amd very odd seen few people for other things having problems

Yeah, there are a few threads in this particular subforum about similar issues. Probably be worth a look in them.

Like this one for example.

May not be your specific issue, but the recommendations would be worth a try. The new LB went through a frame work update so this might be causing issues for people with older Windows or ones that have not kept it updated.

So what's the solution? Do I re-download Launchbox and if I do will I be able to keep all the information from the old launchbox? Things like images, game information, all that stuff?

EDIT: I'm asking this because I am trying to understand what they are saying and that's what it sounds like. If you say I will keep my information I will do it.

Edited by starfiretbt

I'm using windows 10, so currently my launch box address is C:\Users\TBTol\LaunchBox and when it asks where I need to request C:\Users\TBTol right? Sorry for asking dumb questions I am just very worried about screwing this up and losing data. For future reference how would I back up launch box? Just copy the whole folder in bold?  C:\Users\TBTol\LaunchBox

1 minute ago, starfiretbt said:

I'm using windows 10, so currently my launch box address is C:\Users\TBTol\LaunchBox and when it asks where I need to request C:\Users\TBTol right?

Yes. The next window should then show the full path it will install so like Jason mentioned make sure it does not show C:\Users\TBTol\Launchbox\Launchbox

2 minutes ago, starfiretbt said:

For future reference how would I back up launch box? Just copy the whole folder in bold?  C:\Users\TBTol\LaunchBox

That would be easiest, especially if you are keeping media, games, and emulators in the LB folder structure.

I would recommend using FreeFileSync to then make syncing your backup easier after you make the first backup.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, starfiretbt said:

I'm using windows 10, so currently my launch box address is C:\Users\TBTol\LaunchBox and when it asks where I need to request C:\Users\TBTol right? Sorry for asking dumb questions I am just very worried about screwing this up and losing data. For future reference how would I back up launch box? Just copy the whole folder in bold?  C:\Users\TBTol\LaunchBox

Yes, just copy the whole folder. Unless you've put things in non-default locations, that should work well to back it up.

In the setup, just check the actual text box folder path before continuing and make sure that it's C:\Users\TBTol\LaunchBox.

Sorry to bother you guys again but what do you mean putting things in non-default locations? I might have made some changes to folders and where things are stored, for example when I started M.A.M.E. I moved the roms to a folder called "M.A.M.E." but I think Launchbox prefers a folder called "Arcade" which it keeps making for those roms. I don't remember if I made any other changes other than a notepad text file reminding me to move other files when I switch to a new computer.

36 minutes ago, starfiretbt said:

Sorry to bother you guys again but what do you mean putting things in non-default locations? I might have made some changes to folders and where things are stored, for example when I started M.A.M.E. I moved the roms to a folder called "M.A.M.E." but I think Launchbox prefers a folder called "Arcade" which it keeps making for those roms. I don't remember if I made any other changes other than a notepad text file reminding me to move other files when I switch to a new computer.

LB was designed to try and be as portable as possible. Therefore if you store all games, media, emulators in the default folders LB creates you can usually move the whole LB folder to another drive or pc and have little issue with it all working. There are some exceptions like games or emulators that may install to their own specified folder. The example you gave of the "Arcade" folder is one of those defaults. LB allows you to decide if you want to keep everything neatly in the default locations or go your own way.

I installed 11.4, but while I have you is there a way to disable certain Launchbox keys? When I run Snex9x the esc key is supposed to disable key commands but within Launchbox it shuts down the game. I have to disable keys when changing game controller configurations. I supposed I could always edit key commands outside of Launchbox but what if I am running a program that needs the esc key?

On 8/28/2020 at 11:19 PM, Jason Carr said:

@starfiretbt @Tezza77 What version of Windows are you guys running? What particular error messages are you seeing?

Hi Windows 10 pro 1904 when i launch launchbox says to update then ask to download Visual-C++ 2015  Redistributable 14.2mb start to install then box pop s up asking for use source C:\ProgramData\Package Cache\{EEA66967-97E2-4561-A999-5C22E3CDE428}v14.25.28508\packages\vcRuntimeMinimum_amd64\ not any were on my pc and cant update i tryed just dwonloading the visual 2015 on own does same thing so stuck on 11.3

It's like clockwork with these updates. I wish I was exaggerating when I say EVERY SINGLE UPDATE shits the bed. It's now a game of why won't it start? Why does my start menu shortcut not work? Why does it crash windows explorer when I go to the install directory? Why can I execute it, register for an account on here, type up an only slightly hyperbolic rage post, and only halfway through this sentence finally open?

On 8/30/2020 at 7:18 AM, starfiretbt said:

I installed 11.4, but while I have you is there a way to disable certain Launchbox keys? When I run Snex9x the esc key is supposed to disable key commands but within Launchbox it shuts down the game. I have to disable keys when changing game controller configurations. I supposed I could always edit key commands outside of Launchbox but what if I am running a program that needs the esc key?

The Escape key is handled via an AutoHotkey script. Tools > Manage Emulators > Snes9x > Running AutoHotkey Script tab. If you clear that script out, it should stop that functionality. I think you might want to leave the top comment line though, so that it doesn't replace it with the default script.

20 hours ago, Tezza77 said:

Hi Windows 10 pro 1904 when i launch launchbox says to update then ask to download Visual-C++ 2015  Redistributable 14.2mb start to install then box pop s up asking for use source C:\ProgramData\Package Cache\{EEA66967-97E2-4561-A999-5C22E3CDE428}v14.25.28508\packages\vcRuntimeMinimum_amd64\ not any were on my pc and cant update i tryed just dwonloading the visual 2015 on own does same thing so stuck on 11.3

Here's a copy of the Visual C++ redistributable (assuming you're running 64-bit Windows): https://www.dropbox.com/s/ifjy6o1y1gqc52k/VC_redist.x64.exe?dl=0

That should solve it for you, though not sure why the setup isn't automatically installing it. Do you have Internet access on your LaunchBox machine?

14 hours ago, punished boxer said:

It's like clockwork with these updates. I wish I was exaggerating when I say EVERY SINGLE UPDATE shits the bed. It's now a game of why won't it start? Why does my start menu shortcut not work? Why does it crash windows explorer when I go to the install directory? Why can I execute it, register for an account on here, type up an only slightly hyperbolic rage post, and only halfway through this sentence finally open?

Sorry for the issues you've been having. Unfortunately at least some of that is a Windows issue, and has nothing to do with LaunchBox (Windows Explorer crashing, for instance, obviously is not related to LaunchBox). It sounds like there may be other issues on that system that could be causing some of this trouble. We can troubleshoot the individual issues here though if you're still having them and you're interested in getting us more details. Let us know if you're still having any of those issues and want us to help troubleshoot them.

1 hour ago, Jason Carr said:

The Escape key is handled via an AutoHotkey script. Tools > Manage Emulators > Snes9x > Running AutoHotkey Script tab. If you clear that script out, it should stop that functionality. I think you might want to leave the top comment line though, so that it doesn't replace it with the default script.

So if it says

"; This section closes Snes9x when pressing Escape
$Esc::
{
    Process, Close, {{{StartupEXE}}}
}"

I want to leave the top section like this right?

"; This section closes Snes9x when pressing Escape"