LaunchBox Community Forums

Citra stand-alone or RetroArch?

DeadVoivod

I recently tested some 3DS games, and playing them through RA is fine, but I noticed that for some games the framerate drops quite a bit, and I didn’t test yet the “bigger” games. When I tested one same game in Citra I had 60fps, compared to 50fps in RA with music glitches too.
So what is your experience with 3DS, are you running it in RetroArch?

27 minutes ago, DeadVoivod said:

I recently tested some 3DS games, and playing them through RA is fine, but I noticed that for some games the framerate drops quite a bit, and I didn’t test yet the “bigger” games. When I tested one same game in Citra I had 60fps, compared to 50fps in RA with music glitches too.
So what is your experience with 3DS, are you running it in RetroArch?

Thats the nature of retroarch due to it having a overhead compared to a standalone emulator, as it has the whole UI running in the background while running games. It will also depend on system specs of course, throwing more power at the situation may make it fine in Retroarch as well. So a standalone will always have better performance, but that doesnt matter at all in 99% of cases as the emus generally are so easy to run.

I dont mess with 3DS emulation too much as i just use a hacked New 2DS XL, for that, but its still a fairly new emulator and lots of games still have issues, so its not a perfect experience in either case. Retroarch does add support for a stylus on the right stick as well as on the fly changing of how its displayed via controller hotkeys if thats something you want.

FYI, the stand-alone Citra emulator is being developed/updated pretty regularly.  The Citra RA core, however, has not been updated since Dec. 2019 if I recall correctly (the dates on the libretro core file on the buildbot server is not correct due to them having to restore the files from their backups after their servers were hacked/deleted)... pretty sure that's still the case anyway.  At least I haven't seen my RA core of Citra update in many many months so I assume that's still valid. Therefore, I would suggest trying to use the stand-alone as your primary emulator for 3DS since it's being more actively developed/updated, and the RA core as a secondary (if needed/wanting to see if a game plays better, etc.).