LaunchBox Community Forums

Batman (Raw Thrills) or: How I Learned to Love the Naming Nazis

lino11

Hey guys!

Just being funny with the title and not trying to stir anything up, as if anything, maybe I'm the problematic one.

But what do you think here?

We got this 2013 Batman arcade game in the db made by Raw Thrills...

https://gamesdb.launchbox-app.com/games/details/127303

Recently, I added most of the image assets and filled in the metadata..... I also changed the name of the game from "Batman (Raw Thrills)" to simply "Batman", which seems to be the correct name and according to the site's naming convention rule. The official assets that exist out there also just have the name as "Batman". Check out the wiki:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman_(2013_arcade_game)

So I created a firestorm with this naming revision, apparently, and it took like a vote of like 10-7 to finally go through and change the title to "Batman".

But it was changed back a few days later to "Batman (Raw Thrills)" again.

Now I realize this game's images might conflict with the old Batman arcade game from 1989... but clearly there are old games and remakes and things like that that carry over the same name.... the newest Samurai Shodown is a good example, as the 2019 game, simply called "Samurai Shodown", carries the same name as the original from back in the day. There's probably dozens of examples like this.

Does adding "(Raw Thrills)" in parenthesis violate the site's name rule?

What do you think the name of this arcade game should be?

It's a pretty cool game, btw, I think TeknoParrot recently added support for it and runs great!

Batman-01.jpg

Batman-01.png

Batman-02.png

I'm not sure it's funny to have fascism added in the topic in the world we leave in right now.. but I do understand the situation itself is a bit comical (and time consuming with all this back and forth).

We've been discussing about this identical naming a lot in the past and if this Batman game has been switched back and forth, it looks to me that not everyone is aware of the issues. Batman needs to be unique! (that would be a funny topic title ;))

To put it simply: having the main default name 100% the same with another name on the same platform causes issues with images files, video files and the searching function (you get only one hit even if there's multiple games named the same).

There used to be a lot more default names named the same, but thankfully a lot of moderators have taken their time and been naming them the way they do not cause issues anymore - guess how many identical titles there was in the Commodore 64 section? This has been a process going on for quite a while and some think that the alternative naming is the solution without touching the default name, but that doesn't solve all the issues - especially the media issues.

Please read these threads for more information, Jason also commented about this a few months back:

PS. I was actually the one who first submitted this game, and you are totally right, the game rocks! Edit: Thank you for spicing it up with more media images.

Edited by kurzih
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the replies, I figured it conflicted with the 1989 game.

I think maybe the real solution to most of these issues is to divide up the arcade boards more, like we have with Sega Naomi, Sammy Atomiswave, etc.

In my case, I have this 2013 Batman in my "Raw Thrills PC-Based" game folder... which follows how TeknoParrot separates them, with others like Sega Ringwide, Sega RingEdge, Sega Lindbergh, Namco ES3, Sega Europa-R, Taito NESiCAxLive, etc.

Maybe that wouldn't work in the Commodore 64's case, but for the arcade, possible.

2 hours ago, kurzih said:

Please read these threads for more information, Jason also commented about this a few months back:

PS. I was actually the one who first submitted this game, and you are totally right, the game rocks! Edit: Thank you for spicing it up with more media images.

You're welcome!

And thanks for sharing those forums, I'll try to keep up as I contribute media assets pretty often.