LaunchBox Community Forums

Unhandled exception when starting Future Pinball table?

Johnny T

Hi all,

This is a really strange problem that I hope someone on here can help me with. I'll describe the issue as best I can...

I have a hard drive that contains my LB/BB folder and I run it on my main PC during the week (to work on adding images/games etc) and my arcade cabinet at weekends (to play on it).

I have set up Future Pinball as one of the emulators and set up DOF (Direct Output Framework - it makes lights flash and contactor click in/out in time to the pinball table) to work alongside it. There are certain Future Pinball tables that are "PinEvent" tables so they have extra functionality.

When I run a Future Pinball PinEvent table directly (without LB or BB) everything works great.

However, when I run a Future Pinball PinEvent table from Launchbox the DOF part (the lights and contactors activation) doesn't work.

The creator of the PinEvent system said, in reply to a forum post I made, 

DOF is completely initiated from the table’s startup (not the front-end). The only reasons it wouldn’t work from a front-end is:

1) the front-end, or another program (DOFLinx) has a DOF session still open preventing the PinEvent dof session from being used (correctly)

2) the front-end is changing security / admin access somehow and that is what is preventing DOF from being accessed through a PinEvent table (when launched from the front-end)

I know that 1) isn't the case. So that leaves 2)

For some reason, ONLY on the arcade cabinet, if I un-check the "Run as admin" in the properties for Launchbox or BigBox and try and launch a Future Pinball table I get a "Launchbox encountered an unexpected error" that says "System Win32 Exception".

However, I can run Launchbox on my PC without the Run as Admin and then run the Future Pinball table without an error?

I wondered if it's because I don't have some WIndows software (such as .NET) installed correctly on the cabinet PC so I installed .NET runtime (latest addition). I also re-ran the 11.6 Launchbox.exe in the Update folder to reinstall Launchbox but still no joy??

Anyone any ideas why it only runs Future Pinball when LB is in Admin mode. I need to turn this off to test whether that sorts my other issue!

Thanks for reading this far as it's quite a complicated issue and any help would be very gratefully received. Thanks ?

Edited by Johnny T

I am sure one of our Pinball experts will chime in to help on the specific issue. I do not run Future Pinball anymore so cannot offer much there.

I just wanted to post that it is recommended you do not run LB and BB as admin. It can mess with emulators and cause some other issues. Too many times we have seen users chase an issue for days only to find out they had LB/BB set to run as admin and that was the issue. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks Retro. Yep, I can't remember why I set it to run as admin now. It was definitely to get around a problem I had.

It's definitely a strange one. On my main PC in the house I can run LB NOT as admin and run the Future Pinball table fine.

In the summerhouse on the arcade PC - running LB NOT as admin causes the unhandled exception when I run the Future PInball table.

That's why I think it must be something that is "installed" (as oppose to the portable LB installation). It can't be Future Pinball related as that all runs fine when run directly (not via LB) so ... I'm stuck.... ?

I will endeavour to keep Run As Admin off once I get this issue sorted though and, hopefully won't have any more issues.

I'm actually getting quite in to my pinball at the moment - both Future Pinball and Visual Pinball are excellent. There's "Pup Packs" now that show actual video footage above the table (for movie based tables). Adds an extra dimension to it ?

Hi, if you are interested, I bought a Sharpin Ultra pinball machine just 2 weeks ago, and it is just amazing. You need to build it together yourself, but that's quite easy if you don't have 2 left hands. I only changed the speakers that came with it, as they are cheap little Audiogenic cubes, and after testing, they don't have any bass at all, whereas I think you need that to get a great pinball table sound. So I swapped them with the Amazon Basics speakers, and I have to say they have quite a nice sound. 

Qkr4bHA.jpg

Wj7GzkK.jpg

lXrg2q2.jpg

NST2ErI.jpg

ej7mTv3.jpg

HZZEq6S.jpg

f2SUYTm.jpg

gzZ301P.jpg

rI4bRWL.jpg

06XBM3j.jpg

40sIp47.jpg

NUtr6c1.jpg

aeGojTV.jpg

Edited by DeadVoivod
  • Thanks 1

On 9/17/2020 at 8:57 PM, Retro808 said:

I am sure one of our Pinball experts will chime in to help on the specific issue. I do not run Future Pinball anymore so cannot offer much there.

I just wanted to post that it is recommended you do not run LB and BB as admin. It can mess with emulators and cause some other issues. Too many times we have seen users chase an issue for days only to find out they had LB/BB set to run as admin and that was the issue. 

Just an update on this issue. I copied down all the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributables I have on my main computer and also the DirectX version and made sure they were the same on my Arcade PC (which they were).

However, as it stands, I can run a Future Pinball table from either BigBox or Launchbox on my main computer *without* them running as admin HOWEVER on my Arcade PC I get a unhandled exception error if I try and run a Future Pinball table on either BB or LB if they are *not* running as admin ???

Probably clutching at straws but wondered if anyone else had any other ideas that I could try?

Thanks ?