LaunchBox Community Forums

Uniform PC Games Images in Launchbox

CyberOcelot

Hi Guys,

I am as fresh a noob as they come. I just got Launchbox Premium a couple of days ago and just finished importing all of my PC games from Steam, Epic, GOG, Origin, UPlay (Why the F are there so many clients?!)

I'm trying to tackle my first two issues now...

The first is scrolling through my games in Launchbox. When using the scroll bar with the mouse, the games library doesn't scroll along with my mouse movement as I hold down the left mouse button. I have to let go of the left mouse button to stop scrolling and see where I am in the list. I couldn't find an option to change this behavior. Is scrolling through your games live possible in Launchbox?

The second issue I'm trying to learn how to tackle is that I would like for all the games to have a uniform look in Launchbox (Not just Big Box). If I go with box art, loads of games appear with different box art image sizes. Because of this, and since most of my games are from Steam, I went with Steam banners to make sure they're all the same look. But, then all the games from other clients won't have images showing because they, of course, don't have Steam banners.  Is there a way to get all of my PC games to have a uniform look in LB?

Should I be worried at all about Launchbox since I ultimately want to primarily use Big Box? I tend to be OCD about these things. So, please feel free to let me know if Launchbox behavior / presentation isn't important. 

Edited by CyberOcelot

8 hours ago, CyberOcelot said:

The second issue I'm trying to learn how to tackle is that I would like for all the games to have a uniform look in Launchbox (Not just Big Box). If I go with box art, loads of games appear with different box art image sizes. Because of this, and since most of my games are from Steam, I went with Steam banners to make sure they're all the same look. But, then all the games from other clients won't have images showing because they, of course, don't have Steam banners.  Is there a way to get all of my PC games to have a uniform look in LB?

This is a manual process of getting images that satisfy your desires. I personally use Steam Posters which are 600x900 images. The import will already pull them for titles that have them, I then use steamgriddb.com to fill in any gaps in my collection. I haven't ran into any games they DON'T have that are on the other clients/storefronts.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, CyberOcelot said:

Is there a way to get all of my PC games to have a uniform look in LB?

Personally i just have different platforms for the different stores, so i have steam, uplay, origin, epic, GOG, VR Games as there own platforms as well as a Windows platform for more generic windows games. That way i can set different image types depending on the store/available artwork.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, neil9000 said:

Personally i just have different platforms for the different stores, so i have steam, uplay, origin, epic, GOG, VR Games as there own platforms as well as a Windows platform for more generic windows games. That way i can set different image types depending on the store/available artwork.

This was my original plan, and I scared myself off thinking I shouldn't name a client as a platform, because it might make things difficult later if I want to get into downloading themes for BigBox.

I guess I'm just overwhelmed because I don't know where to start? Plenty of tutorials on setting up emulation and importing. But, all out of order in the YouTube channel, and nothing really on where to get started to get yourself familiar with all the features and what order is best for beginners. :(

A LOT of how you set your install up is entirely up to personal preference. I've seen people ecstatic with build setups that would make my skin crawl to use, and I'm sure the opposite could be said as well. My advice would be to think about what specific goals you have for LB/BB to help you achieve. See if you can do it on your own. If you can't, then ask on the forums, "How do I do this?" (and be as specific as possible). Once completed, you can show the forums WHAT you did to achieve your goal and ask, "Was this the easiest way to do this?" and then use the information you are given to make the next goal easier to obtain (or duplicate depending on the goal).

• Like 1

I have a photoshop template that I got from somewhere a long time ago, that was for clear case pc logos.  I ditched the clear case and just kept the dimensions it had for the box art layer, and have been throwing my artwork in there and making my own.  In most cases it is just a drag n drop procedure.  In other cases, I actually have to make my own with whatever artwork I can find.  But if I put it in there then they all end up being the same dimensions, so it looks nice and uniform.

16 hours ago, C-Beats said:

This is a manual process of getting images that satisfy your desires. I personally use Steam Posters which are 600x900 images. The import will already pull them for titles that have them, I then use steamgriddb.com to fill in any gaps in my collection. I haven't ran into any games they DON'T have that are on the other clients/storefronts.

Trying this now. GREAT RESOURCE! Thank you! :)

Only thing is, changing the image type for launchbox doesn't have Steam Posters as an option for me. The closest option to it is Steam Banner. How can I change my list of games to display Steam Posters only?

5 hours ago, CyberOcelot said:

Trying this now. GREAT RESOURCE! Thank you! :)

Only thing is, changing the image type for launchbox doesn't have Steam Posters as an option for me. The closest option to it is Steam Banner. How can I change my list of games to display Steam Posters only?

You need to set your priorities in Launchbox. So go to Tools/Options/Media/Box Front Priorities and set them and order them to your preference. Personally i have things like steam and epic above standard boxes as i wont have those types for other platforms, so its the standard Box Front it will fall back to for emulated platforms, but will Prioritize the store Box-Fronts when possible.

image.thumb.png.ed084306e967fa0e55a8b83cac70a627.png 

15 hours ago, neil9000 said:

You need to set your priorities in Launchbox. So go to Tools/Options/Media/Box Front Priorities and set them and order them to your preference. Personally i have things like steam and epic above standard boxes as i wont have those types for other platforms, so its the standard Box Front it will fall back to for emulated platforms, but will Prioritize the store Box-Fronts when possible.

Crap! I've seen that list and overlooked that you can move them up or down in the list!! *Facepalm

Anyways, by the time I saw to your post, I had found workarounds to download banners and have everything uniform, finally. :)

I'm now on my next hurdle. But, since it's so off topic, I'm going to create a new thread for that one if research doesn't turn up anything. 

Thanks a bunch, everyone! :)