LaunchBox Community Forums

Theme Development Questions

Vastarien

A couple questions:

Can I work on a Big Box theme without a license? I intend to buy one, but I'd like to get into making a custom theme first and make sure it's something I can actually tackle before I commit. I realize I wouldn't be able to view it in Big Box without a license, but does Visual Studio provide some method for running the code and testing that things actually work?

On that note, I installed Visual Studio 2019 and attempted to open up the default theme (CriticalZoneV2 - Default), but there are A LOT of errors. I read in another thread that this theme is outdated, but there is no other option in my 11.6 install and it seems that the 11.4 install I had before that had no themes in that folder at all. If I intend to use Visual Studio, is there another starting point to help get the gist of laying this out? The video tutorial from Launchbox is like 4 years old and doesn't really get into any useful detail anyway. Any help is appreciated!

Edited by Vastarien

@Vastarien We would recommend using @y2guru's Community Theme Creator:

It'll give you a decent idea of what can be done in theming Big Box without having a license.

I did just load up the Default theme project in Visual Studio though (the one that comes with 11.6), and I'm not seeing any errors. What errors are you seeing?

Per what Big Box can do theme-wise, there are lots of videos on the YouTube channel. Unfortunately though Visual Studio won't really give you all that much of a way to test your themes, without having a Big Box license.

@Jason Carr Thanks, I will try the Community Theme Creator.

Regarding the errors in Visual Studio, if I try to open up some of the views, it will fire a lot of errors (more than a dozen in some cases) which are all along the lines of:

* The name "TransitionPresenter" does not exist in the namespace "clr-namespace:Unbroken.Launchbox.Wpf.Transitions;assembly=Unbroken.Launchpad.Wpf"

* Assembly 'Unbroken.Launchbox.Wpf' was not found. Verify that you are not missing an assembly reference.

5 minutes ago, Vastarien said:

@Jason Carr Thanks, I will try the Community Theme Creator.

Regarding the errors in Visual Studio, if I try to open up some of the views, it will fire a lot of errors (more than a dozen in some cases) which are all along the lines of:

* The name "TransitionPresenter" does not exist in the namespace "clr-namespace:Unbroken.Launchbox.Wpf.Transitions;assembly=Unbroken.Launchpad.Wpf"

* Assembly 'Unbroken.Launchbox.Wpf' was not found. Verify that you are not missing an assembly reference.

Odd, I see. So the issue is that your Big Box Default theme is waaaaay out of date. Did you used to have a Big Box license? The Default theme is only updated when you actually start up Big Box, so I'm guessing that it just hasn't been updated in a long time.

I can get you an updated Default theme if needed. Let me know if you still need it after playing around with the theme creator.

5 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Odd, I see. So the issue is that your Big Box Default theme is waaaaay out of date. Did you used to have a Big Box license? The Default theme is only updated when you actually start up Big Box, so I'm guessing that it just hasn't been updated in a long time.

I can get you an updated Default theme if needed. Let me know if you still need it after playing around with the theme creator.

No, I've never used Big Box before. I only DL'd Launchbox for the first time at version 11.4 on a different machine to check it out and then DL'd the latest release on a new machine the other night. So the theme I have is just what was created when I did a clean install of 11.6.

3 minutes ago, Vastarien said:

No, I've never used Big Box before. I only DL'd Launchbox for the first time at version 11.4 on a different machine to check it out and then DL'd the latest release on a new machine the other night. So the theme I have is just what was created when I did a clean install of 11.6.

Oic, is it the "CriticalZoneV2 - Default" theme, or is the "Default" theme? I'm guessing that's where the confusion is coming from. Looks like we need to update the project file for that one.