LaunchBox Community Forums

A few issues i am running into on new launchbox build

skully

Ok so this may be a bit of a long post but here goes.

I have been using launchbox for a couple years now and have always managed to get the systems and roms working. Sometimes with the help of walkthrough videos, which are great (and when I started they were current and accurate).  When I did my first build it was buried in my file systems and the emulators and roms were all over the place, but I got everything working so I just kinda went with it.

About 3 or 4 months ago I fired up launch box and started playing super mario world. While playing launchbox said there was an update would you like to update. so I closed down mario and proceeded to update.  after the update I logged back in and mario wouldn't start. uh oh...  I then tried a bunch of games on other systems and nothing would work. 

Well at this point I was thinking it was a good opportunity to rebuild my whole file structure and everything and make everything neat and organized.

So I started a new launchbox build ( with a fresh download of launchbox , retro arch and my other emulators excluding MAMe cause that is way to much of a hastle). Imported snes and Mario worked fine. I then proceeded to import MAME, sega, gameboy and a few other systems. everything was working  and my files were organized and I was feeling really good about the whole thing even though it was allot of work that I had already been through.

Then  I tried to import game boy color, and launchbox will only import 28 roms..... what is this about? whatever I thought I can go without Gameboy color. besides I can always launch those games through retroarch if I really want to play them (I did test this and it works just fine).

I then proceeded to import Nintendo DS, Atari 2600, 7800, and jaguar, and game boy advance. all of which work perfectly.

Then I tried To import the N64, and launchbox went through the whole import process but added 0 games. Again the roms work fine in retroarch. I also am able to use them all in project64.

At this point I am frustrated so I left it alone for a while.

A couple of weeks ago I decided that it was time to give this another go. I imported game gear and the turbo grafx 16. both work perfectly. 

I then retried the n64... nothing, and then the game boy color and only got the 28 games again. to hell with it I Don't need those systems.

Imported PS1. everything works except launch box will not download any meta data for the PS1 games. I have attached a snip of the PS1 platform in launchbox without metadata.

I am hesitant to continue with this build at this point cause the systems I have left to import are the more complicated ones to get working. (amiiga, neo geo , sega cd, atari st etc.) And I would hate to do those if I have to start another fresh build. 

So If anyone has any idea what is going on with the 2 systems not importing and the PS1 metadata issue I would greatly appreciate the help.

Also forgot to mention that both the N64 and gameboy color worked on my old build before the update fuckery. The PS1 ROMS though are new to me for this build.

Thanks in advance

Capture.PNG

Ok That makes sense On the ps1. Is it the dashes or the numbers or the whole thing? I have used some renamer programs in the past.  Is there one you know of that could be used to fix these? or am I up shit creek and have to do it manually

The N64 ones are fine though I am pretty sure. I have had them working before

currently importing the GBC with the overwrite box clicked

Capture2.PNG

15 minutes ago, skully said:

Ok That makes sense On the ps1. Is it the dashes or the numbers or the whole thing?

Its the whole thing, anything that isnt the name of the game should be inside brackets, so (USA) (Disc 1) (Rev 1.1) etc. So Final Fantasy IX (USA) (Rev 1,1) (slus-01251) would import and scrape metadata and images just fine, the way you have it currently is just a long string of words and random letters, and Launchbox is trying to match that whole string to a game in our database and obviously cant.

That N64 should work just fine though. Usually when you get 0 games imported its because you already have those games imported. Is it possible you imported them to the wrong platform previously, or have hidden all the games by mistake so that the platform doesnt show anymore?

17 minutes ago, skully said:

Is there one you know of that could be used to fix these? or am I up shit creek and have to do it manually

I've been pretty happy with the free "Bulk Rename Utility". Has a nice preview option too before kicking it into action.

Edited by kurzih
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, neil9000 said:

Its the whole thing, anything that isnt the name of the game should be inside brackets, so (USA) (Disc 1) (Rev 1.1) etc. So Final Fantasy IX (USA) (Rev 1,1) (slus-01251) would import and scrape metadata and images just fine, the way you have it currently is just a long string of words and random letters, and Launchbox is trying to match that whole screen to a game in our database and obviously cant.

That N64 should work just fine though. Usually when you get 0 games imported its because you already have those games imported. Is it possible you imported them to the wrong platform previously, or have hidden al the games by mistake so that the platform doesnt show anymore?

cool thanks for the info on the naming issues.

I mean anything is possibly but I have tried checking the show hidden games under view cause I did think of that but that doesn't seam to do anything. 

If I did manage to import them under the wrong platform will they show under the incorrect platform?  Or if I select all?

thanks for all the quick replies by the way

15 minutes ago, kurzih said:

I've been pretty happy with the free "Bulk Rename Utility". Has a nice preview option too before kicking it into action.

works great. Last time I used one was a couple years ago to remove numbers from my NDS roms and I couldn't remember what it was called. this one seams allot easier and the preview part is the cats ass!

Thanks!