LaunchBox Community Forums

Mupen64-Next Won't Launch Games?

CyberOcelot

Hey Guys,

I'm a noob, but I'm posting here because I see Mupen64 has some quirks in its history here. Not sure how to proceed with troubleshooting. 

I have just discovered that none of my games will launch using Mupen64Plus-Next. When I try to, it just crashes back to Launchbox/Bigbox.

Launchbox recommends using the Mupen64Plus core, but only Mupen64Plus-Next was available. Launchbox says the core is missing, but retroarch says the core is installed (See images below)

I did find a year old post here where someone discovered the issue was auto-save state and auto load states needed to be turned off in retroarch. But, that didn't didn't resolve my issues.

Is this the correct core to use? Would it cause any harm/conflict to download the other cores too? 

Missing Core Launchbox.jpg

In Retroarch software.jpg

Mupen64 In Cores Folder.jpg

Edited by CyberOcelot
Typos / Fixed Emulator Names

17 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

Change the core in Launchbox to the Next core, when the recommended list was made the Next version of the core wasn't a thing.

LOL
Thanks for the help! Fixed! I guess I should have posted that in the noob section after all. Didn't know the associated platforms list had drop down menus.

If you don't mind, while we are here, I just discovered Gambette isn't launching games though LB/BB either (it launched via retroarch directly just fine). Except, this time, the core is not listed as missing.   

Retroarch does suggest an Atari core along with Gambette. Is there a noobery solution I don't know about there too? 

Sorry, I should have been clearer...

Launchbox recognizes the Gambatte core is installed, but Gameboy games still crash when launched.

If I launch via retroarch, I am presented with an option between Gambatte and Atari800 to launch the game. I select Gambatte and the game launches just fine.

Gambatte.jpg

SharedScreenshot.jpg

12 hours ago, Lordmonkus said:

But what is the actual platform name you have your GBC games imported under ? Is it Nintendo Game Boy Color or something else slightly different like Game Boy Color for example ?

That was the noobery solution. LOL! Working now.

I initially had it correct when importing the files. But, scraping as "Nintendo Gameboy Color" would only pull the metadata for GBC specific titles and not any of the regular Gameboy titles. I changed it to scrape as Gameboy thinking that choosing GBC was wrong.

I think I'll stick to the noob section for a bit. ?

Thanks for taking the time to help me out on both counts. :)

1 minute ago, CyberOcelot said:

That was the noobery solution. LOL! Working now.

I initially had it correct when importing the files. But, scraping as "Nintendo Gameboy Color" would only pull the metadata for GBC specific titles and not any of the regular Gameboy titles. I changed it to scrape as Gameboy thinking that choosing GBC was wrong.

I think I'll stick to the noob section for a bit. ?

Thanks for taking the time to help me out on both counts. :)

You should have Game Boy Color and Game Boy as separate platforms.

• 1 month later...

I apologize for bumping the thread but I am having problems with N64 myself. I followed the most recent  Launchbox Tutorials on Youtube, tried every core available (currently on parallel_n64) but every time I try to launch a N64 game from Launchbox nothing happens. Launching a game from Retroarch works flawlessly. I've checked the associated platforms menu as in the screenshot, I've made sure the platform names were coincident, I've confirmed the rom folder path...but to no avail. Any tips?

Thanks in advance.

launchbox.png

Thank you both for the replies. @neil9000 in closer inspection, after looking at the Launching tabs like you suggested I realized the the rom files names did not match. There was a '' \path\._rom-name'' were it should be a '' \path\rom-name''. That extra ''._'' preceding the rom name was the source of the issue.  

I have no idea how I got that in there though but everything is working properly now.

Cheers

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MPL said:

Thank you both for the replies. @neil9000 in closer inspection, after looking at the Launching tabs like you suggested I realized the the rom files names did not match. There was a '' \path\._rom-name'' were it should be a '' \path\rom-name''. That extra ''._'' preceding the rom name was the source of the issue.  

I have no idea how I got that in there though but everything is working properly now.

Cheers

The ._ is something that MacOS adds to all files, this is hidden in MacOS, but not on Windows. So i assume you used a mac somewhere in your workflow?

18 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

The ._ is something that MacOS adds to all files, this is hidden in MacOS, but not on Windows. So i assume you used a mac somewhere in your workflow?

Interesting. I was not aware of that. I did use a mac to unzip the rom files before moving  them to my Windows computer. I guess I must've corrected the rom filenames at some point but neglected to do so in Launchbox and hence they did not match. 

That explains it.