LaunchBox Community Forums

today i lost my entire set up

jtravapd

i literally spent days uploading and scraping (which half the time never worked really) , only to get a message that a beta update was available.  i clicked on update and halfway through the update i got a failure message, it was the same failure message you sometimes get while scraping for pictures or artwork, i dont remember the exact words. so that function failed and i was given three options.  the one that said recommended was just to cancel the update.  well now my launchbox is completely destroyed.  the folders on the left side that separate the consoles, arcade etc. aren't even mine.  When i connect to the website my full rom collection and emulators are all there but whenever i try to restore from a back up it does nothing.  What am i supposed to do? I'm pretty angry that if i paid for the full license something as simple as this cannot be synched back and fixed im gonna be really upset.  i mean i have all these backups in my back up folder and not one of them is anything i even had on my system.  How is that even possible? 

Is there a way to  just reinstall everything from scratch and then synch from my cloud back up?   please someone let me know.  

2 minutes ago, jtravapd said:

i mean i have all these backups in my back up folder and not one of them is anything i even had on my system.  How is that even possible? 

Its not. Im really confused here as what you are saying is simply not possible, you cant have systems or games added/removed that you dont have in a program update, the updates dont even touch your library. FYI the cloud stuff is not a backup, you have no backup of your roms and emulators in the cloud. The cloud feature is just a way to show what systems and games you have via a web address.

Look in Your Launchbox/Updates folder and find the newest one and run it, installing over the top of your current build.

YES, so lietrally on the right side of the launchbox where it would normally say arcade , consoles, all, etc. it now says arcade broken down into like 15 categories, none of which i ever enabled.  all my systems are gone except dreamcast which now has one rom showing.  the worst part is the pinball setup which , really needs to be updated here, because i tried following the directions posted here by many people and i knew just from dealing with steam and roms that there was no way that was going to work. so i had to edit the steam.api file to finally get pinball fx3 working perfectly, but because launchbox doesn't recognize any of the pinball emulators natively, we have to manually write out different settings in the emulator setup menus and for people not used to doing that, its impossible to get. so i was happy enough just to launch fx3, without steam having to fire up, using my hacked steam api, but then would have to load whatever table i wanted individually .  not a big deal, but it would be nice to see the tables scraped on the main screen of launch box.  i have found a backup from last week, which now got rid of all the extra categories and my roms are now back in where they were.  however the week of work trying to get my 3 pinball emulators to work are all gone as well as some systems.  so now i have to start over. i wish someone would post a full instruction thread of how to actually set up the differnt pinball emulators, fx3, future pinball, visual pinball.  some people show you how to just find your emulator and roms but leave out all the other tabs that need to be filled in.. im just angry, my complete ps1 library is gone, that took my computer hours to upload.  its just frustrating.

17 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Also i should add that betas are not for daily use on your normal build, they are betas for a reason, they can and sometimes will break. Betas are for testing new features, if you opted in to them you should of understood what you were opting in to.

ive been building computers since i was 12, and have been a computer engineer since 2000.  Software has never been my strong suit. however, when the update popped up, and i backed out, (which the message said was recommended) the software shouldn't have destroyed my setup until the final click and reboot.  Or don't have it say click here recommended if its not gonna function properly.  thank you for such a quick response. And yes i opted into betas , but they normally are easily undone just by loading up one of your back ups which i have many.  Why doesn't the backup system work properly?  the last 4 backups i loaded were completely corrupt. didn't have any of my systems loaded, or anything.  like i said i had to go back over a week ago.  now just added ps1 and ppsp is gonna be a nightmare.  and forget pinball.  even with emu logged in, it recognizes 1 out of every 30 tables. 

1 minute ago, jtravapd said:

consoles, all, etc. it now says arcade broken down into like 15 categories, none of which i ever enabled.

Those are playlists, not platforms, unless you specifically unchecked those boxes when you imported Arcade they have always been there, are you still using the same view in the dropdown above your systems.

image.thumb.png.9dbd87b2c98cb068de7772e46d23353f.png

4 minutes ago, jtravapd said:

not a big deal, but it would be nice to see the tables scraped on the main screen of launch box. 

Pinball FX 3 is a game it is not a system or a emulator, so it is added to launchbox like any Windows game is. You can add the tables and launch them directly, but you need a cabinet code from the game devs. So its totally doable if you want to put the effort in. Unfortunately your lack of patience in setting your pinball programs up are not the fault of Launchbox, we have many many users using them just fine in Launchbox. 

On 10/3/2020 at 3:22 PM, neil9000 said:

Those are playlists, not platforms, unless you specifically unchecked those boxes when you imported Arcade they have always been there, are you still using the same view in the dropdown above your systems.

image.thumb.png.9dbd87b2c98cb068de7772e46d23353f.png

Pinball FX 3 is a game it is not a system or a emulator, so it is added to launchbox like any Windows game is. You can add the tables and launch them directly, but you need a cabinet code from the game devs. So its totally doable if you want to put the effort in. Unfortunately your lack of patience in setting your pinball programs up are not the fault of Launchbox, we have many many users using them just fine in Launchbox. 

Not really sure what I did to deserve  to be talked to with content, your first reply had the same type of negative attitude but i ignored it as maybe you just misunderstood my post.  You were rude, but I just ignored it, as every single tech message board when someone posts there is always someone who casts stones at the person asking for help because it couldn't possibly be the software, or that person should know everything in and out about one particular program .  However this is now the second time you make claims that "i don't put any effort in", and "i have no patience" two claims that are not only false, but childish and I would expect better conduct from a moderator, considering I  literally thanked you personally  in another post for replying so quickly.  My issue was with loosing all my imported roms.  Because of the "ImageDupeGrouper has stopped working" error. My launchbox update crashed halfway through the update.  After rebooting, I had to re-import and set up everything listed below.  So not only were you wrong about the launchbox error causing the crash, you were rude to me about it.  Sure I did have update to beta versions clicked, but if you lost all your roms because the update wasn't able to complete I wouldn't say, well its your fault for updating to a beta version.  

767 future pinball roms
100 turbo graphics 16 roms
60 turbo graphics 16 cd roms
120 3DO roms
1705 sony playstation roms
1020 PSP roms
650 Visual Pinball
106 fx3 tables

My computer isn't a slouch, but importing all those roms (even keeping them in their original folders) took over 24hrs. of me going back and forth to set it all up again.  So not really sure where your getting your information that im lazy and that it wasn't launchbox.  Because it absolutely was the launchbox imagedupegrouper error that crashed my update that caused me to lose everything.  I'm glad no other person has ever had a problem with launchbox, and you created these forums just for my particular computer that only has software errors. (that was sarcasm)  Either way, as a moderator your the one who is going to have any answers for us if something goes wrong.   I'm pretty sure treating people like garbage isn't how moderators should respond to people who are just asking questions.  The correct response to someones question if you don't know the answer isn't to call them names and blame them.  Try , sorry we will look into the problem, but your roms aren't lost , they are still on your hard drive, you just have to reimport all of them again.  Hopefully you see what I am trying to explain to you as adults and fans of the same hobby. That being said, Pinball Fx3 is more considered a front end for the older versions of the game. lol.  https://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2017/10/17/zen-studios-pinball-fx3-decide-zen-not-enough/  See you can still bust someones balls and not be rude about it.

@jtravapd On the pinball front, you find little to no significant media that will match easily in LB database.  The DB has Pinball all lumped into one category. So easier to look at the downloads section in the forum for packs that folks have made for VP, FP, and FX3.  I always import pinball platforms separately since for most part I do not run media at same time (just import). 

I pulled two packs together for FX3 which is complete up until the new Williams set upcoming.  See links below. 

Video snaps

Other media pack.  Others have files in the download section as well if those don't fit with your setup. 

Edited by sundogak
clarified meant LB database

38 minutes ago, jtravapd said:

My issue was with loosing all my imported roms.  Because of the "ImageDupeGrouper has stopped working" error. My launchbox update crashed halfway through the update.  After rebooting, I had to re-import and set up everything listed below.  So not only were you wrong about the launchbox error causing the crash, you were rude to me about it.  Sure I did have update to beta versions clicked, but if you lost all your roms because the update wasn't able to complete I wouldn't say, well its your fault for updating to a beta version.  

Because it absolutely was the launchbox imagedupegrouper error that crashed my update that caused me to lose everything. 

So contrary to what you first said, you did not actually lose your roms, you just lost the imported data. Saying you lost your imported roms would lead many users to think LB actually deleted the rom files from your hard drive. So It I think that caused a bit of confusion.

LB updates, even if you store your roms inside the LB folder never touches anything of the actual files you import. It will update its needed program files, folders, etc. but does not touch any roms or even emulators you add or might even have in a folder that has not been added. We have seen numerous reported crashes over the years and files might have been corrupted, but lost roms has not been something we have seen.

46 minutes ago, jtravapd said:

I'm pretty sure treating people like garbage isn't how moderators should respond to people who are just asking questions.  The correct response to someones question if you don't know the answer isn't to call them names and blame them.

Reading back through this posts I can honestly say Neil never treated you like garbage. Nor did I ever see him call you names. He did make a comment about a perceived lack of patience. That was about the most terse of the things he said in any of his posts. 

I do not think anymore needs to be said about who was right, wrong, rude or otherwise or it will lead to this thread spiraling. So I think this is a good stopping point for that. We can focusing on figuring out what happened and getting you back up and sorted. 

On 10/3/2020 at 3:20 PM, jtravapd said:

Why doesn't the backup system work properly?  the last 4 backups i loaded were completely corrupt. didn't have any of my systems loaded, or anything.  like i said i had to go back over a week ago.  now just added ps1 and ppsp is gonna be a nightmare.  and forget pinball.  even with emu logged in, it recognizes 1 out of every 30 tables. 

Why the backup would not work could be many things. One of the most common reasons we see is abrupt closing of LB/BB and the software does not have enough time to properly save the backup. With the last 4 being bad it leads me to believe you had more underlying issues than that could have led up to the LB update crash. Have you had instances in the past of LB or BB being stuck open and having to force close it or LB/BB abruptly closing on you?