LaunchBox Community Forums

Sega CD Files Confusing - Please help

RaiderX1212

Please help me. I am a bit confuses as to how to import Sega CD games (and I will probably run into this issue with other CD games as well I presume).

I downloaded a ROM/ISO for Double Switch. It downloaded as a ZIP and when I extract it I get the files as in the image below. I dont know which to select to upload to Launchbox. I have tried the ZIP and the ISO.

I have the correct Core setup in RetroArch and in Launchbox. I am sure the problem is with the files. Please help me, I dont see a specific video that makes this clear enough.

SegaCDFiles.thumb.jpg.152b1975926182754efad8fb346ca1dd.jpg

Yep, use the .cue file. 

Just for information, as I came across that issue a lot, if the game doesn't run, there is something wrong inside of the .cue file, mainly the file name. You have then to edit the .cue file and change it according to the name of your .bin file. But as I see the files you have there, it will probably be correct.

You can delete the .sub, .ccd and the .zip files now. 

Btw, make file extensions visible in explorer, makes life a lot easier. 

Edited by DeadVoivod

I see there is another issue I did not take into consideration... I need to set up the Bios file in Retroarch. I have no idea where to get that and cannot seem to find a link for it or the file online.

I know if can be tricky to find these. Any idea or just a clue of what I should do to get the Bios file?

4 minutes ago, RaiderX1212 said:

I find that strange. Should I move all the files into my ROMS folder in Launcbox? The .cue file is small so I presume it is needed to launch the ISO file or direct to the ISO file?

cue files are basically indexes, the game in your image just has a iso, but you can occasionally get games that have a cue and say 10 bin files, the cue will list all the bins so that the emulator knows where everything is. The cue must be kept in the same folder as the other files.

As for the bios file, i just googled sega cd bios and the second result has what you want, so not difficult to find at all.

2 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

cue files are basically indexes, the game in your image just has a iso, but you can occasionally get games that have a cue and say 10 bin files, the cue will list all the bins so that the emulator knows where everything is. The cue must be kept in the same folder as the other files.

As for the bios file, i just googled sega cd bios and the second result has what you want, so not difficult to find at all.

Oh I see. So if I have a bunch of CD games I just put them all in the same folder and use the cue file to open?

As for the Bios, I did download that second result and the below is what extracts. Should these files be renamed? I believe they must be placed in the System folder in RetroArch but their names do not seem right.

Could you please tell me what to name each?

Bios2.jpg.5764bfa3467257db82b4d699e8faf25d.jpg

16 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

No, each game should be in its own folder.

Check the Retroarch documentation, it tells you exactly what you need.

https://docs.libretro.com/library/genesis_plus_gx/

Ah I see, I renamed the bios file that had the latest date to the name format and the game started up. So I presume out of those Bios files the best is to chose the latest date version and change the name to the corresponding correct format name?

It makes sense to me the the last released Bios would be work with all games. Well I am presuming here.