LaunchBox Community Forums

Any chance to get a pre-configured big box for arcade setup?

3dlollo

Cheers!

Have been using LB for a while now; got a license for the premium and used it on my computer. Now I am ready to move to a stand-alone cabinet; and I want to add more systems.

Thankfully just copying the folder where LB lives, on my computer inside the arcade cabinet was all needed to keep things running, but now all the paths are messed up, since on my main machine my LB folder was on my desktop of my C drive, while now I have everything on an external drive. Nothing that a bit of patience can't fix, by re-importing all the games for each platform.

Although, adding new platforms has been a pain; mostly to have big box set up correctly to work with the arcade joysticks (player 1 and player 2), display a nice theme that looks good with animations and info, and set up systems so I can launch games without the need of the keyboard and mouse.

Is there any good soul that made a version of big box with all the systems set up? Not talking of adding roms of course, or bios; but getting everything ready so I can just grab the folder, put in it my roms, my bios, run a scan and have everything already set up and good to go on my arcade cabinet? I get that the beauty of BB and LB is that it is totally configurable, but I wish there was a way to get everything sorted out and configured; which is a pain especially for systems like old computers (amiga, atari, C64, Archimedes, ZX spectrum and so on), or old import machines like the Sharp 68000 and similar.

Thanks for any info you could spare!

Not on our forum you will not. There are people who have done builds like this but there are roms included as well. You are not really going to find a BB build that you just add your roms and bios then have it just work. Emulators still would need to be tweaked to your set-up, controllers mapped based on your set-up. There could be numerous things depending on platform/emulator that would need adjusting. Even those full prebuilds with roms still require you to tweak things here and there and then when things break, if you do not know how it is all set-up, it makes troubleshooting a pain. We typically do not troubleshooting prebuild LB/BB set-ups because of this.

The best thing we can recommend is the user set things up. We are always willing to guide and troubleshoot when users go this route. Some system can be a pain, but we have a good number of tutorials and members here that will typically help out.

Thanks, so there is no plan for LB to have a setup with all the platforms on it, that works out of the box. It is understandable, since LB is a front-end, so it has no clue what happens behind the scene with the emulators. And it is also legit to not want to waste time troubleshooting issues that someone may have on their "custom" build of LB, because so many things could go wrong.

I tried... it will take me a while to get everything set up, thanks for offering help with the setup. So far the hardest part has been setting up computers like the amiga, C64 and Atari ST; just using the joystick from the arcade cabinet. On my computer I am using a setup from one of your guides, which involve using PS-UAE, create links to the UDID of the games that point to the ADF games (I think, I did that like 5 years ago?), although copying the folder with the roms won't fix the issue, since I need to generate the UDID for all the amiga games sadly. Same for the ST and C64, which require to setup things to boot automatically a tape or disk.

17 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

The good news is that it is easy to fix incorrect paths in LaunchBox. Just go platform by platform, press Ctrl+A to select all games, and then go to Tools > Change ROMs Folder Path for Selected Games. Should be an easy fix.

This is awesome! I was deleting everything and re-importing everything, which takes forever (including download videos and screenshots and meta data for each game and platform); will give it a spin!

• Like 1

Just now, 3dlollo said:

This is awesome! I was deleting everything and re-importing everything, which takes forever (including download videos and screenshots and meta data for each game and platform); will give it a spin!

Even if you are re-importing you dont need to download the media if you already have it, it will all re-attach after you re-import the roms (assuming you name the platform the same that is).