LaunchBox Community Forums

LB/BB Mame support need - games won't start from LB/BB but do in MAME

GCS2000

My apologies if this has been asked and addressed before.

My situation - had a working (kind of) Hyperspin setup but it was a nightmare to deal ran super slow, hung up etc etc and I am over it.

Installed LB/BB (basically starting over), installed MAME (latest version) but kept all my roms from before.

After doing this many games would not run but some would when starting from LB/BB had the same issue launching direct from MAME (like all the Marvel games etc).  Before they ran fine via MAME direct or Hyperspin when HS wasn't being a b***h.

So a thought hit my head and I put my old MAME folder back in place of the new (I had saved a backup).

So now running direct from MAME I can load just about any game I pick like before, no problem.

LB/BB however nothing happens when I click on the game it doesn't try to load or anything, just sits there.

I am guessing I need to update LB somehow some way, I dunno.  Do I just have to delete my platform and reimport all over again (took forever of course)

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can provide.

Greg

12 hours ago, GCS2000 said:

installed MAME (latest version) but kept all my roms from before.

As you discovered, mixing different revisions of MAME roms and the MAME emulator itself is never a good idea.  Since (I assume) you have them matched now, you shouldn't need to update anything.  (well.... maybe your settings ;) )

Since they now work directly in MAME (thank you for checking that 1st), MAME itself should be good to go.  Now make sure the MAME emulator in LaunchBox is setup correctly.image.thumb.png.91182eb497a28d9709573c4d4623ed92.pngDouble check the Emulator Application Path (verifying you're point to your 'good' copy of MAME).  Check both "Don't use quotes..." and "Use file name only...".  Depending on how old your MAME revision is, you may need to remove the "Default Command-Line Parameters:".  (I don't recall what revision that parameter became available).

In the Associated Platforms tab, bake sure the Arcade (assuming that's what you called it) Platform is there [and typically "Default Emulator" will be checked].

Now make sure your games in the Arcade Platform are all pointing to the correct folder and file for the Rom File (in the "Launching" section).  And lastly (hopefully), in the "Emulation" section, be sure the chosen Emulator is the same one you setup (above).image.thumb.png.3b3e8e08ebc359de744227ed4718eaf6.png 

11 hours ago, JoeViking245 said:

As you discovered, mixing different revisions of MAME roms and the MAME emulator itself is never a good idea.  Since (I assume) you have them matched now, you shouldn't need to update anything.  (well.... maybe your settings ;) )

Since they now work directly in MAME (thank you for checking that 1st), MAME itself should be good to go.  Now make sure the MAME emulator in LaunchBox is setup correctly.image.thumb.png.91182eb497a28d9709573c4d4623ed92.pngDouble check the Emulator Application Path (verifying you're point to your 'good' copy of MAME).  Check both "Don't use quotes..." and "Use file name only...".  Depending on how old your MAME revision is, you may need to remove the "Default Command-Line Parameters:".  (I don't recall what revision that parameter became available).

In the Associated Platforms tab, bake sure the Arcade (assuming that's what you called it) Platform is there [and typically "Default Emulator" will be checked].

Now make sure your games in the Arcade Platform are all pointing to the correct folder and file for the Rom File (in the "Launching" section).  And lastly (hopefully), in the "Emulation" section, be sure the chosen Emulator is the same one you setup (above).image.thumb.png.3b3e8e08ebc359de744227ed4718eaf6.png 

Ok I verified all of this and it is correct with what you have above. I still cannot launch games from LB. Atari 2600 is working ok via retroarch in LB but nothing in Mame. I have no idea what has happened but this is insanely frustrating. 

Ok so I did a fresh install of launch box and imported a few games and none will run. I know the version of mame and roms I have work fine I can run them in mame direct and they run in hyperspin when hyperspin wants to work 

so I have no idea what the issue but I wanted to move to LB as it was supposed to be easier and well work. Clearly something is wrong here 

I belive you said you said you have the latest version of Mame. Can you confirm what version your roms are and what version Mame? Also are you using Mame (command line version) or an offshoot like MameUI?

Also provide a pic of you Mame setup in LB. Go to manage emulators and edit Mame. Provide 2 pics. 1 showing the Details tab and 1 showing the Associated Platforms tab. 

Yep sure did and some games load like ms Pac-Man but get stuck at some odd test screen. Others like marvel still act like they are launching and just go back lb 

at the moment I am trying to dl a newer rom set and will try that along with the associated mame install. No idea what else to do at this point 

2 minutes ago, GCS2000 said:

Yep sure did and some games load like ms Pac-Man but get stuck at some odd test screen. Others like marvel still act like they are launching and just go back lb 

at the moment I am trying to dl a newer rom set and will try that along with the associated mame install. No idea what else to do at this point 

Well if some games launch they all should, unless you dont actually have a correct fullset, or you are not using 0.160 of the emulator. Cause if some load all your paths are correct and all games would work at that point.

3 minutes ago, GCS2000 said:

Others like marvel still act like they are launching and just go back lb 

This sounds most likely to be a rom - emulator mismatch.  More recent revisions of the emulator are not necessarily backwards compatible with older roms.  That's why it's stressed to have a matching romset and emulator.

Another possibility is a missing (or mismatched) device file.  In the case of Marvel Super Heroes, "qsound_hle.zip" (device file) is also needed to run the game.  Again, making sure you have the matching revision for the rom and the emulator.

Yes they match to the best of my knowledge. 

as mentioned I am trying to download a newer set of roms and will install the corresponding mame version with it. 

is there any particular mame rom set better than others. Meaning should I just go for the current .226 version or go older like .201 etc?