LaunchBox Community Forums

Autohotkey script to Open/Close BetterJoy

otavioraposojr

Pretty much a self explanatory title.

I want to implement an autohotkey script that open/closes BetterJoy when running/closing a game on Dolphin alone.

I use BetterJoy for Dolphin, because it helps me playing Wii games with motion control of my joycons.
But it doesn't work well with other emulators, so I need it to close everytime I close Dolphin, and open again everytime I open Dolphin again.

I've no knowledge of autohotkey scripts. Hope someone can help me.

Edited by otavioraposojr

So, I would suggest you checking out rocketlauncher. It is overwhelming for beginners, however, it's very powerful. Even if you don't implement it into your lb setup, you can learn how it launches games and with that, this can learn a lot about using AHK. I'm not near my setup right now to type out a test script for you but you can create a blank AHK script and run it, from there you can right click on it in the system tray and go to WindowSpy. Then launch your game in dolphin, it will give you the window title that's needed to create a launcher script. If you want, you can pm me and I'll try to get you straightened out, I see a lot of trial and error with this ?.

What say you, @JoeViking245 about this.

I strongly would not recommend rocketlauncher. As you said, it is overwhelming for beginners. And by now very out of date and interferes with the working of LaunchBox. The few advantages rocketlauncher has over LaunchBox I could live without.

Go to Tools > Manage Emulators > Dolphin >  Running AutoHotKey Script tab. Add:

Run, "path\to\BetterJoyForCemu.exe"

$Esc::
{
WinClose, ahk_exe BetterJoyForCemu.exe
}

*By "path\to\BetterJoyForCemu.exe" of course I mean de path to the BetterJoyForCemu folder and executable.*

Edited by Koroth
  • Like 1

I don't use RocketLauncher, so I'm not in a position to say anything good or bad about it other than what I'd get out of it isn't worth the pain it is to A) figure out how to set it up, then B) actually get it setup, and lastly C) have it actually work.

I think @Koroth's script is the cleanest way to do this.  I don't know if BetterJoy needs to be running BEFORE Dolphin starts, but as I think about it, it would make sense that the Running AutoHotkey Script setup for the emulator would execute before having the emulator launch the game.

Koroth, have you personally used this as the Running AutoHotkey Script for starting (and stopping) BetterJoy?  (you didn't say and I know nothing about BetterJoy :))

14 minutes ago, JoeViking245 said:

Koroth, have you personally used this as the Running AutoHotkey Script for starting (and stopping) BetterJoy?  (you didn't say and I know nothing about BetterJoy :))

I tested this script with starting and stopping and that worked as it should. On my computer the BetterJoy windows appears about 1 sec. before Dolphin's. However I don't own any Nintendo controllers, so I can't verify BetterJoy actually works.

• Thanks 1

Just did a little testing with this and it seems the Escape hotkey here messes with closing the emulator.  For my tests I used notepad.exe instead BetterJoy.  

The Running AutoHotkey Script does indeed load BEFORE LaunchBox has the emulator run the game.  But when I hit Escape, Notepad (in my sample test) closes, but Dolphin (also tested with MAME) does not.  When I hit Escape again, it still doesn't close.  Verified Dolphin had focus and still wouldn't close with Escape.

So plan "B" (verified to work with Notepad and Dolphin)

run, notepad.exe

$esc::
{
   WinClose, ahk_exe notepad.exe
   WinClose, ahk_exe dolphin.exe
}

@otavioraposojr  Just replace "notepad.exe" (2 spots) with your BetterJoy executable filename ("BetterJoyForCemu.exe"?) and put this is the Running AutoHotkey Script tab as Koroth said.  

run, "full\path\to\BetterJoyForCemu.exe"

$esc::
{
}

(Of course changing the "full\path\to\" in the 1st line)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@JoeViking245 I've a problem with the "esc" solution. I use Big Box, and I close the games not by using the esc key on computer keyboard, but by pressing the share button on my Nintendo Pro Controller (configured to "Close Active Window" in Big Box options). I use this as a "universal closer" to all emulators, because it makes everthing much easier.

I tested the script and BetterJoy will not close precisely because I'm not closing using the esc key. Any way around that?

Edited by otavioraposojr

2 hours ago, otavioraposojr said:

"Close Active Window" in Big Box options

That's an interesting way to close an emulator.  Well, I should say that's new to me.  But if it works, great! :) 

Any chance you tested it by pressing Escape on your keyboard?  Just curious.  Because if that doesn't work, neither will the following.  And using Escape (just for initial testing purposes) makes it easier to troubleshoot if there are issues.

Similar to Esc:: before, but using the joy button

run, "full\path\to\BetterJoyForCemu.exe"

1Joyx::
{
}

Replace the "x" in "1Joyx::" with the button number corresponding to the "Close Active Window" button you setup in BigBox.  (It should show you the button 'number').

For example, if it says 'button 12', you'd use "1Joy12::".

7 hours ago, otavioraposojr said:

@JoeViking245 I've a problem with the "esc" solution. I use Big Box, and I close the games not by using the esc key on computer keyboard, but by pressing the share button on my Nintendo Pro Controller (configured to "Close Active Window" in Big Box options). I use this as a "universal closer" to all emulators, because it makes everthing much easier.

I tested the script and BetterJoy will not close precisely because I'm not closing using the esc key. Any way around that?

As long as the program uses "Escape to close, using Escape command in AHK should still work even though you have bound a button to "Close Active Window". How LB/BB controller automation works is LB/BB uses the button you mapped to send "Escape" to close the active window. LB waits a few seconds and if LB is not in focus (meaning the emulator has not closed) it will then send "Alt+F4" and try again. Jason even put in some of the unique close command like Ctrl+F9 for DOSBox. Now, it some emulators may be a little more stubborn and need tweaking.

It could be possible BetterJoy does not like "Escape" to close. If you just open BetterJoy and hit Escape does it close? It may prefer Alt+F4.

3 hours ago, Retro808 said:

It could be possible BetterJoy does not like "Escape" to close. If you just open BetterJoy and hit Escape does it close? It may prefer Alt+F4.

@Retro808 In this case "Escape" isn't used to close BetterJoy. "Escape" just sends the autohotkey "WinClose" command, which closes BetterJoy.

@otavioraposojr BetterJoy has a checkbox to "Start in Tray". Make sure that is unchecked. If you did, start the game and double click on the BetterJoy tray icon and uncheck. Autohotkey's "WinClose" command does not work with apps that solely reside in the system-tray. (Usually they need to be force closed.)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/12/2020 at 2:12 AM, Koroth said:

I strongly would not recommend rocketlauncher. As you said, it is overwhelming for beginners. And by now very out of date and interferes with the working of LaunchBox. The few advantages rocketlauncher has over LaunchBox I could live without.

Go to Tools > Manage Emulators > Dolphin >  Running AutoHotKey Script tab. Add:

Run, "path\to\BetterJoyForCemu.exe"

{
}

*By "path\to\BetterJoyForCemu.exe" of course I mean de path to the BetterJoyForCemu folder and executable.*

This is working great for me running DS4Windows. I added to the emulator start script. How do I kill the process using AHK when I leave the emulator/exit game?

32 minutes ago, Wanderer189 said:

This is working great for me running DS4Windows. I added to the emulator start script. How do I kill the process using AHK when I leave the emulator/exit game?

Try:

{
WinClose, ahk_exe DS4Windows.exe
} 

If that doesn't work try:

{
Process, Close, DS4Windows.exe
} 

4 minutes ago, Koroth said:

Try:

{
} 

If that doesn't work try:

{
Process, Close, DS4Windows.exe
} 

I tried them both, will I need to edit path for them to match how I am calling it?

Run, "D:\Program Files (Portable)\DS4Windows\DS4Windows.exe"

{
}