LaunchBox Community Forums

Understanding the "cleanup media" tool

WraithTDK

I ran the cleanup media tool in Launchbox, and it found quite a few duplicates; but they weren't always in the same folder. Of particular note, it found the same videos as theme videos and as snaps. Is it actually safe to delete one of these? I'd assume that they're used for different things (regular LB and BB?). Another instance would be the same image under Screenshot - Gameplay and  Screenshot - Game Title. Does LB treat them differently? Do I need to go over these results and carefully currate the before deleating?

The tool when marking files as duplicates if the file has the same hash value  (is LITERALLY the same file in two places, or with two names) or if you are using the newer rough image match and it determines that two images are the same image but different file hash.

4 minutes ago, C-Beats said:

The tool when marking files as duplicates if the file has the same hash value  (is LITERALLY the same file in two places, or with two names) or if you are using the newer rough image match and it determines that two images are the same image but different file hash.

Right, I get that. These are indeed duplicate files. But like I said, they're in different places, and I would assume used for different things. Like videos saved under Theme Videos and a duplicate of it saved under Snaps. I would assume that Launch Box uses these two for different things, yea? That the videos under Theme Videos are used for things like Big Box themes, and Snaps are used for the info bar in regular Launch Box? So if I just looked at the cleanup wizard, and let's say I deleted the video under Theme Videos and kept the copy under Snaps, wouldn't that mean that next time I ran Big Box, that game wouldn't have a video, even though the same thing is there under Snaps?

31 minutes ago, WraithTDK said:

. Like videos saved under Theme Videos and a duplicate of it saved under Snaps. I would assume that Launch Box uses these two for different things, yea?

No, if you have videos in the snaps and themes folder they are completely different styles of video, hence the separation. They are not used for different things, its a user choice as to which show.

1 hour ago, neil9000 said:

No, if you have videos in the snaps and themes folder they are completely different styles of video, hence the separation. They are not used for different things, its a user choice as to which show.

I'm confused...if they're different styles of videos, why does the cleanup tool say they're duplicates? Same file name and everything.

Or are they just the same video, but of different quality levels, so they're put in other folders? I could see that working. If that's the case, then I guess my other question would be, can I select all of the files listed? Like, if it lists two copies of the same video, is there a third, higher-quality version somewhere, or do I need to leave one copy of each piece of media listed? Sorry for so many questsions.

5 minutes ago, WraithTDK said:

I'm confused...if they're different styles of videos, why does the cleanup tool say they're duplicates? Same file name and everything.

Or are they just the same video, but of different quality levels, so they're put in other folders? I could see that working. If that's the case, then I guess my other question would be, can I select all of the files listed? Like, if it lists two copies of the same video, is there a third, higher-quality version somewhere, or do I need to leave one copy of each piece of media listed? Sorry for so many questsions.

The tool says they are duplicates because it is the same file in two different folders. You shouldn't need both. When the tool finds these duplicates the first file with that hash is kept and not listed so deleting all duplicates listed should be safe.