LaunchBox Community Forums

Is there a way to Shorthand my Platforms?

d2produce

So I want to Shorten all my platform names so i can expand the viewing space for my games and still know what the heck consoles I'm choosing.  So instead of "Nintendo Entertainment System" I'd obviously do NES and then SNES.....PS1......PS2.....etc etc.  However the last time I changed the names, launchbox got all messed up and wasn't working correctly.  What's the way to do this properly?

Just tested it, and when I renamed Sega 32X to Sega 32 for testing......I first tried with not changing the folder names.....then I tried with changing the folder names.....and migrating the files.  Both times the games wouldn't launch until I renamed the platform and folders to Sega 32X again.  Is there a step I'm missing why is this so difficult simple to rename a category lol?

Edited by d2produce

You should be able to do this. Go to LaunchBox > Tools > Manage Platforms > Go to the platform you want to edit >  Change Title > Go to the Folders tab > LaunchBox prompts if you want to change the folder names, click Yes. > Then LaunchBox asks if you want to migrate you files from the old location to the new. Also click Yes.

Edited by Koroth

On 11/21/2020 at 6:23 AM, d2produce said:

Just tested it, and when I renamed Sega 32X to Sega 32 for testing......I first tried with not changing the folder names.....then I tried with changing the folder names.....and migrating the files.  Both times the games wouldn't launch until I renamed the platform and folders to Sega 32X again.  Is there a step I'm missing why is this so difficult simple to rename a category lol?

If you change a platform name you also need to go into the LB emulator set-up and make sure the Associated Platform name is changed for the emulator running the games.

18 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

If you change a platform name you also need to go into the LB emulator set-up and make sure the Associated Platform name is changed for the emulator running the games.

@Jason Carr If I may make a suggestion? Is there a way to automate this? Or at least a warning popup that this needs to be done? It did slip my mind and I see this go wrong quite often.

Ya none of that worked.......Retroarch wouldn't launch.  Should be easier to do this than to change even more than 1 setting......all it is is a title in a category list......it shouldn't be tied to settings and everything else it should be purely visual not functional.  I should post this in the site suggestion section "Make Platform Categories Easily Renameable".

Just now, d2produce said:

Should be easier to do this than to change even more than 1 setting......all it is is a title in a category list......it shouldn't be tied to settings and everything else it should be purely visual not functional. 

Not at all, it has to be this way otherwise how would Launchbox no what emulator to use for each system. If you call the platform snes but the associated platform is called Super Nintendo Entertainment System then Launchbox doesnt know what emulator it needs to use for your snes platform. The program isnt psychic it doesnt know what emulators are for what systems, you need to tell it "i want to use this emulator for this system". You change the name of the system you need to change the associations as well. Go rename your platforms on something like Retropie or Batocera and the like, and see how quickly the whole thing completely breaks there, at least Launchbox allows you to change those settings in it's UI.

6 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Not at all, it has to be this way otherwise how would Launchbox no what emulator to use for each system. If you call the platform snes but the associated platform is called Super Nintendo Entertainment System then Launchbox doesnt know what emulator it needs to use for your snes platform. The program isnt psychic it doesnt know what emulators are for what systems, you need to tell it "i want to use this emulator for this system". You change the name of the system you need to change the associations as well. Go rename your platforms on something like Retropie or Batocera and the like, and see how quickly the whole thing completely breaks there, at least Launchbox allows you to change those settings in it's UI.

The program already has a "Scrape As" setting so I don't see how changing a category display name would effect system settings.  The Display name shouldn't be tied to anything other than that little panel you see on the left.  Just like if my nickname in Life is Big Jim I don't gotta go to Court and change my name legally for people to call me that O.o  Nothing should need to change.......not the folders......not the settings.......as long as Launchbox knows NES is really Nintendo Entertainment System......everything should just work.  Which makes it seem like the problem is Launchbox DOESN'T consider those category names simply "Display As in this Particular Category List" names......they are system names.......which I'm sure that flaw can be updated or changed within the program itself for easy user renaming.

Edited by d2produce

The program already has a "Scrape As" setting so I don't see how changing a category display name would effect system settings.  

Because "Scrape As" is for scraping metadata and media from the database, hence the name. It is only used in that case, as indicated by the name of the option.

11 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Because "Scrape As" is for scraping metadata and media from the database, hence the name. It is only used in that case, as indicated by the name of the option.

You  know what I'm saying though.  In that 1 particular instance the Platforms should be renameable independent of any other settings, because it should purely be a Display name only.  Just like if I changed my username from d2produce to something, I shouldn't need to update my email, update my password, change every tier of settings for something that's purely vestigial.  It'd be like changing ur windows username and then having to rename every directory manually.  Should be able to edit them freely and make it easy for the user not be BOUND to the default names.   I guess in the scheme of things, and maybe nobody wants to admit this, but if Launchbox is somehow paying homage to the Systems and Developers themselves by STICTLY keeping the Original names, I get that, but it's really kinda silly nobody says, "Hey man wanna come over and play some Nintendo Entertainment Sytem?" "Sorry brother, I'm so addicted to this SUPER Nintendo Entertainment system why don't u come here!"   NES.......SNES......I don't see any disrespect in using those terms so any attempt that launchbox is taking at taking a bold and honorable stance I don't see it as such and I think Users should have control because at the end of the day it's about them not the Game Corporations.

Edited by d2produce

OK so I just tested this process changing my GameCube to NGC. I did not even have to change the Associated Platform. LB kept the roms in the /Games/Nintendo GameCube folder and that remained the path showing visible in the game edit screen. All media did get moved to a new folder called NGC. The game was still launched.

1 minute ago, Retro808 said:

OK so I just tested this process changing my GameCube to NGC. I did not even have to change the Associated Platform. LB kept the roms in the /Games/Nintendo GameCube folder and that remained the path showing visible in the game edit screen. All media did get moved to a new folder called NGC.

were you able to launch the games? cuz when i tried to open my NES games retroarch didn't even launch.

were you able to launch the games? cuz when i tried to open my NES games retroarch didn't even launch.

Yup. Even changed a second time to NGCube and all media was moved to new folder name. Kept the rom in it's original place. Now I tested only with Dolphin since that path is set in the emulator as well that may be why it still ran. I will test a NES game.

Just tested with NES. Did the name change, said yes to the prompts, but I did not change the Associated Platform name. Game did not run. Changed the Associated Platform Name and game works again. So the process works as designed. Not sure why when you changed the Associated Platform Name it did not work. Maybe Jason can add a prompt reminding users to change the Associate Platform name is he does not automate that part.

Screen Shot 2020-11-22 at 10.10.17 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-22 at 10.10.27 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-22 at 10.14.06 AM.png

6 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

Just tested with NES. Did the name change, said yes to the prompts, but I did not change the Associated Platform name. Game did not run. Changed the Associated Platform Name and game works again. So the process works as designed. Not sure why when you changed the Associated Platform Name it did not work. Maybe Jason can add a prompt reminding users to change the Associate Platform name is he does not automate that part.

I changed the name in Retroarch under Emulator settings and associated platforms as well and it still wasn't launching.  DId you have to restart Launchbox or something for it to set in, I don't think I did that if that's what the difference is.

Edited by d2produce

1 minute ago, d2produce said:

I changed the name in Retroarch under Emulator settings and associated platforms as well and it still wasn't launching.  DId you have to restart Launchbox or something for it to set in, I don't think I did that if that's what the difference is.

No. The change is instant. I could not tell you why it is not working for you. I tested on several builds and all worked as designed.

• 4 weeks later...

This is a good point (that associated platform names are not changed when changing platform names). I feel like that in particular could be improved. It might also be confusing though to automatically change it, depending on your reasoning for changing the platform name, so I'm not sure about that.

• 1 month later...