LaunchBox Community Forums

Emulator Command Line Help (MAME / Retroarch)

Will_Leamon

Hi All, thanks for taking a look at this post!

I'm using Launchbox with Retroarch and having the best results with the MAME2016 core.

The issue I'm having is Launchbox won't launch ROMs without a command line option. When I set it per game with "-L cores/mame2016_libreto.dll" the ROMs run just fine. YAY!

But when I use that command line option in Launchbox's emulator global settings, nothing launches.

So my question is can someone tell me what syntax / command line option to use to get the global emulator setting to always use mame2016_libreto.dll?

Thanks again,

Will.

image.thumb.png.d9501bc7e4a4e5e2f8d1f0cf0ea4558d.png

image.thumb.png.eec13600ebabcfd42533b792ef9a4cf2.png

As you can see "Arcade" doesn't have an entry, which I've stumbled across before and find to be weird but have no idea how to address. Thanks again for your help with this, I feel if I could get the "arcade" setting right all of my issues would go away and I wouldn't need to mess about with the command line at all, which would be awesome.

image.png

OMG you rock! That fixed it!

If anyone's lurking or comes to this thread in the future I added "Arcade" to the empty cell (just manually typed it in there) and under "core" mame2016_libretro was already in the drop down. I set core to mame2016_libretro and checked "default emulator". ROMs now launch without any command line options set.

Thanks again!

Will.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

My problem is that I want to use Retroarch fbneo_libretro to run my Arcade games. There's a youtuber who said he uses that core with no problems. So I launched Retroarch on it's own and it runs zeroteam.zip just fine. So I added Arcade to RetroArch in Tools / Manage / Emulators / Retroarch and made it the default and also ticked Extract ROMs, but it will not run zeroteam.zip.  It just says the Romset is unknown and points me to some doc about building romsets for fbneo. LaunchBox is up to date and so are Retroarch and its cores and everything else in its updater.  I just don't get it. Any ideas anyone? Again, Retroarch plays zeroteam.zip just fine outside of LaunchBox! Oh wow, get this - if, when that screen is up saying the Romset is unknown, if I then go up to File and load the content of zeroteam.zip, then it works! What is going on?  EDIT oh and I even added the command line   -L "cores\fbneo_libretro.dll"

Edited by rwprime

Thank you. That worked for ZeroTeam and a few others. I checked and I have mame0.191b_64bit. I don't know much about MAME. What surprised me was that LaunchBox kept asking me if I wanted to make fbneo my ps1 emulator to which I said no. I looked and I see several ps1 icons in there which makes no sense. The reason I tried fbneo was that a youtube host said it was the 'king' when it comes to Arcade. Maybe he meant cps, neogeo et al. I thought he meant MAME. Thanks again.

8 hours ago, rwprime said:

Thank you. That worked for ZeroTeam and a few others. I checked and I have mame0.191b_64bit. I don't know much about MAME. What surprised me was that LaunchBox kept asking me if I wanted to make fbneo my ps1 emulator to which I said no. I looked and I see several ps1 icons in there which makes no sense. The reason I tried fbneo was that a youtube host said it was the 'king' when it comes to Arcade. Maybe he meant cps, neogeo et al. I thought he meant MAME. Thanks again.

FBNeo uses its own romset, which is a subset of a actual MAME romset, so compared to MAME there are a ton of games missing. Also FBNeo and before that FBA are designed for weak hardware that couldnt run MAME correctly, they use some hacks to get games running at the correct speed, so is less accurate than MAME. If you have a desktop CPU from the last 10 years or so there is no reason to use FBA romsets or emulators, those are more for Android devices and Rasberry Pi's really, weak hardware that needs the help/hacks that it provides to actually run games at the specified speeds.

Oh wow. Thanks for the good info. I didn't know. I have an EVGA 970 card from 2015 but any minute a new card is supposed to be delivered. BTW, just a heads up if you want to tell anyone, newegg has the RTX 3070 Ti on sale for $760 and in stock. I bought it 5 days ago for $70 bux more and asked them for a refund and they gave it to me. Sorry if we're not supposed to mention any companies or prices. It's just that GPUs have been a sticky wicket for almost three years now because of make believe money (bitcoin et al). 4-13-22