LaunchBox Community Forums

Tips on converting laptop to dedicated gaming console.

dmaker

I recently purchased a new MSI GE75 Raider laptop. Which means I now have my previous one (MSI Dominator Pro with GTX980) lying around. I am trying to think of something fun to do with it. I already have a dedicated Plex server and since the GTX 980 won't transcode x265, there is not much benefit to moving that role to this device. I have more than enough file server space on my LAN as well, so I thought maybe I could make my older gaming laptop into a dedicated BigBox machine. 

It does sit in my home office right now which is behind one wall from my TV room. When I bought the house I created a small hole between the drywall for ethernet cables, so I could run a long HDMI cable from the laptop to my TV easily enough. I was hoping maybe to get some tips that anyone might have about doing this. Is there a wifi gamepad that is recommended for instance? I'd rather go wifi than usb if I could. Or any other general tips that people might have?

Thanks

Perhaps wifi gamepads do not exist. Bummer. I could run a long usb cable to a usb hub in the other room and use a usb gamepad. I'm not sure if I should be concerned about potential receiver confusion.  In the same room is a usb receiver for my Logitech universal remote. Would having two receivers like that in close proximity be a problem? 

I feel that wifi gamepads should be a thing. That would be very handy. 

Just now, dmaker said:

Perhaps wifi gamepads do not exist. Bummer. I could run a long usb cable to a usb hub in the other room and use a usb gamepad. I'm not sure if I should be concerned about potential receiver confusion.  In the same room is a usb receiver for my Logitech universal remote. Would having two receivers like that in close proximity be a problem? 

I feel that wifi gamepads should be a thing. That would be very handy. 

Controllers use bluetooth, not wifi. So if your laptop doesnt have built in bluetooth (which it probably does) just get a bluetooth dongle. WiFi controllers are not a thing, they are bluetooth or come with there own wireless USB dongles.

What is the range on bluetooth? Would it work through a drywall to another room?

Or I could just get a bluetooth dongle, as you mentioned. Actually, I think I have a Logitech F710 around somewhere. Not sure if that would be a problem with the other wireless dongle in the room, though for my universal remote. 

Edited by dmaker

Seems the hole in my wall has too many ethernet in it to fit in an hdmi cable too. 

Does anyone know if hdmi to ethernet adapters will work with a switch in the middle? One of the ethernet that does through my wall to my tv cabinet connects to a small gigabit switch. If the switch does not present a problem, then I'm good to go once I get a pair of adapters.