LaunchBox Community Forums

Launchbox 11.7 won't finish updating

CloudIX

When I select "Check for updates", the update box comes up, the green bar gets almost all the way to the end, and stops. I've restarted it several times. I've left it to update overnight. I've tried using the auto update. I've updated it with no issues once before but I can't figure this out. I'm using Windows 10.

Screenshot (9).png

Try:

• Close LaunchBox
  • In Windows Explorer, navigate to your ../LaunchBox/Updates folder  (i.e. D:\LaunchBox\Updates )
  • In that folder, delete the file "LaunchBox-11.7-Setup.exe".  If you're updating to 11.8 or a beta, just look for the most recent file and delete it.
  • Restart LaunchBox and try updating again.

My updates folder already doesn't have anything in it. I'd like to update to 11.8 if that's the latest besides beta. If I have to reinstall, do I have to redo all my games? My backups folder has a bunch of startup and shutdown data backups. Do I need all of those?

Just now, CloudIX said:

My updates folder already doesn't have anything in it. I'd like to update to 11.8 if that's the latest besides beta. If I have to reinstall, do I have to redo all my games? My backups folder has a bunch of startup and shutdown data backups. Do I need all of those?

If that is empty then my guess is you have rather aggressive antivirus and its removing the setup file before it finishes downloading, so i would look at making a exception for the Launchbox folder. You can grab the 11.8 installer from the website like you did originally, just install over the top of your current build. Its exactly the same file, just that it needs to be manually triggered rather than Launchbox auto installing it.

That might make sense since I used to have an issue getting nvidia experience to update til I figured out it updated if I turned off windows defender. I'll try it. I'm not exactly sure how to make an exception for the whole folder. I only see an option for individual files. Does installing it over my current build still work if Launchbox is in a separate folder from all my games? Ignore the dumb question about the backups... I should be sleeping by now.

So I was able to install 11.8 over my previous build but when I try to update metadata, it does the same thing as before. It downloads all the way to the end and then stops like it's stuck. It will not finish. I've tried updating with windows defender shut off but it does the same thing. I suspect that it will do the same thing with an update to a new version whenever that comes out. My updates folder is still empty, and I never see a setup file.

If you are updating metadata for a large number of games it will take quite a bit of time to finish, and that step DOES lock up the UI so Windows sometimes reports the process is stuck/frozen. Just let the process continue and it will eventually complete. How many games are you updating at once? Does it still happen if you only update 4 or 5? Debug logs would also help determine if there is anything going on in your environment making things worse for you.

1 minute ago, C-Beats said:

If you are updating metadata for a large number of games it will take quite a bit of time to finish, and that step DOES lock up the UI so Windows sometimes reports the process is stuck/frozen. Just let the process continue and it will eventually complete. How many games are you updating at once? Does it still happen if you only update 4 or 5? Debug logs would also help determine if there is anything going on in your environment making things worse for you.

I think he means the metadata file, not actual game updates.

12 minutes ago, C-Beats said:

To clarify, they cant update the program as the download gets towards the end but never completes, the same thing when downloading the updataed metadata file, it gets close to the end but never completes. This is not a updating games metadata issue, its files pulled from the servers issue.

Ah ok. I misunderstood. That is typically caused by a file or directory being marked Read-Only or having drive access issues of some sort. Those files typically are downloaded to a temp directory then moved where they need to be once the download completes. Debug log would help confirm that though.

I took the directory off of read only, and clicked "force update games database metadata" and it quickly went to where it always gets stuck and stayed there once again. My logs folder is empty. I have close to 8000 games but I've also updated the metadata before and it didn't take very long with somewhere around 5000 games. My launchbox folder is on a separate hard drive from my main hard drive, and my games are in yet another different hard drive, an external one. Would this be my problem?

Also, my UI does not get stuck. What I said was probably misleading. I just meant that the download bar at the bottom gets to a certain point and then goes no further, aka gets stuck. I can still cancel it, or do anything else in launchbox that I can normally do.

Another thing, the same thing happens if I go in to edit any particular game, and try to search a game name. This automatically brings up a window that asks if I would like to update the metadata database, and I click yes. It does not give me a different response.

1 hour ago, CloudIX said:

I took the directory off of read only, and clicked "force update games database metadata" and it quickly went to where it always gets stuck and stayed there once again. My logs folder is empty. I have close to 8000 games but I've also updated the metadata before and it didn't take very long with somewhere around 5000 games. My launchbox folder is on a separate hard drive from my main hard drive, and my games are in yet another different hard drive, an external one. Would this be my problem?

If you have any directories in the LaunchBox directories it should be removed. Would verify that it doesn't need to be unchecked from anywhere else. The location of your games won't make any difference. At this point the thing you are getting hung on has nothing to do with what is in your library. You are simply failing to finish the download and move it to the appropriate folder.

Well.. when I deselect read only, it's not permanent. I click apply, it takes about 30 sec, and click ok. But when I go back to properties, read only is selected again. So this time, I clicked apply, but didn't select ok, and just left the properties window open, went to launchbox and updated metadata, and it finally worked. Read only still won't stay deselected after I click ok but I guess this workaround is fine lol.