LaunchBox Community Forums

Anyone use retro achievements?

Johnny T

4 minutes ago, Johnny T said:

My retro achievements aren't working but I read that they only work if you use MAME through Retroarch? Is this true or is there a way to make them work with just the normal MAME emulator?

Thanks ?

MAME doesn't support achievements period. Any emulator has be specifically coded to support them. Retroarch supports them globally, but again its up to Individual cores on whether they actually support them or not.

3 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

MAME doesn't support achievements period. Any emulator has be specifically coded to support them. Retroarch supports them globally, but again its up to Individual cores on whether they actually support them or not.

Okay, that makes sense Neil. Thanks. Do you use the retro achievements? Not sure whether to go over to RA for MAME games then so I could try them but not sure how good the core would be? 

Cheers ?

12 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

As I said, the core doesn't support them either.

Okay, that's confusing then?? So if the Retroarch core doesn't support them and MAME itself doesn't support them, how do they work? Is there another emulator out there I would need to use?

Sorry if I'm being a bit dim. ?

The integrations of Retro Achievements and LB's MAME High Scores Leaderboards are 2 separate animals.

RetroAchievements.org has only specific emulators supported.  One emulator being Retroarch. But only specific cores are listed as compatible.  MAME is not one of them.  image.thumb.png.03b9746942e41144c9b560c7c5292a14.pngThe High Score Leaderboard is possible by using the Third Party app hi2txt and ONLY works using MAME standalone (vs the MAME core in RA).  

Hope that helps with some of the confusion. :) 

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, JoeViking245 said:

The integrations of Retro Achievements and LB's MAME High Scores Leaderboards are 2 separate animals.

RetroAchievements.org has only specific emulators supported.  One emulator being Retroarch. But only specific cores are listed as compatible.  MAME is not one of them.  image.thumb.png.03b9746942e41144c9b560c7c5292a14.pngThe High Score Leaderboard is possible by using the Third Party app hi2txt and ONLY works using MAME standalone (vs the MAME core in RA).  

Hope that helps with some of the confusion. :) 

That explains it! Brilliant thanks for that.

I really like Toki on the arcade and saw that there was some achievements that could be gained. So it seems I'd have to play it with FBNeo to be able to do that. 

I'll have a play around with it and see whether it's worth swapping over.

Once again, a big thank you for taking the time to clear that up for me ?

• Game On 1