LaunchBox Community Forums

Clean-up ROM folder (delete ROMs) no longer in collection?

Livin

I deleted about 200 titles from LB not realizing it was not deleting the associated ROM (as it does say "not deleting your ROM - go turn on this setting if you want that) ... so now, not knowing all the files names I removed... is there a way for LB to batch remove the ROM files no longer in the collection? I thought Audit or Clean would, but it does not.

thx

15 minutes ago, Livin said:

I deleted about 200 titles from LB not realizing it was not deleting the associated ROM (as it does say "not deleting your ROM - go turn on this setting if you want that) ... so now, not knowing all the files names I removed... is there a way for LB to batch remove the ROM files no longer in the collection? I thought Audit or Clean would, but it does not.

thx

No, Launchbox has zero knowledge of what you deleted, thats sort of the point in deleting, if it knew then there would still be data for those games, so not technically deleted.

17 hours ago, neil9000 said:

No, Launchbox has zero knowledge of what you deleted, thats sort of the point in deleting, if it knew then there would still be data for those games, so not technically deleted.

Maybe he could copy the .xml of his platform from the Backups folder. That way his games would show up and then he can delete them again, but this time also delete the rom. Just look if the oldest backup still has the roms.

Edited by Koroth

23 hours ago, Livin said:

is there a way for LB to batch remove the ROM files no longer in the collection?

May could try... for that Platform, do "Tools", "Scan for added roms".  Don't search metadata nor import images (will speed it up a little).  This 'should' scan that folder your roms are in and add those ones you previously deleted.  Now, with the checkbox "Allow deleting ROMs when deleting games" checked (Tools, Options, General), sort the games in that Platform by Date Added.  Delete the games that were 'just added'.

On 1/9/2021 at 8:51 AM, neil9000 said:

Your comment of 'needing data for those games' is not correct. This is a simple filename compare :: what the system knows about (aka, the collection) vs what is in the directory ... 2 or 3 lines of code for a Programming 101 class student.

LB has a ton of similar "clean-up" features. Adding 'Clean up ROM folders - remove files that are not in collection' is dead simple and complimentary to what already exists.

I found a workaround...

TOOLS --> Export/Copy ROMS 
-- this save all ROMs in that collection to a different folder

Then go back to the original folder and delete ALL ROMS.
Then move the 'exported' ROMs back to the original folder.
Done

All the ROMs in the collection will be the same as the ROM files in the folder and none of the paths have changed.

Edited by Livin
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2