LaunchBox Community Forums

Bad Submissions - Game Boy Color

sinistron

This is one of the reasons I've more or less stopped moderating. I've seen this case too, wrong image type + missing region tags.

Nowadays there's just too many people (new moderators perhaps?) just pressing the "Accept" button without really taking the time to check the entry and reading the database rules or actually have proper knowledge of the information for moderation. It's also possible that there could also be a language barrier. I'm sure no one is making trouble on purpose, but it's a waste of time when someone submits something - takes at least 3 moderators to accept it and then someone fixes it - takes at least another 3 moderators to accept the fix. And worse if someone undoes the fix and we go at it again.*

Learning by mistake is one of the best ways of getting things better and faster. But you can't really learn if you don't know you're making a mistake. I've made mistakes on the database a few times and by moderating I've learned what to avoid and what to concentrate on. So I'd hope moderators would take more time checking those entries and also using more than just one source of information (Moby Games is really good, but not all information is correct/accurate there). Be more critical, you're not being nasty if you reject (as long as your comment is appropriate) and you can always use the yellow "skip" button if you are unsure of accepting or rejecting. By rejecting something wrong the submitter will at least get a reason what went wrong and most likely avoid doing it again.

* a recent example of fix, unfix, fix unfix: https://gamesdb.launchbox-app.com/games/details/40383
By rule the name should always be the way it is written on the cover, in that case: "1994 (The Year After)". We can use the alt names field for scraping if someone has difficulties getting that game imported. But I didn't have any problem importing it when it was properly named "1994 (The Year After)". False claims or just opinions on the comment field is also an issue if some moderators take them for granted instead of actual database rules. I think the forum should be used for cases like you just brought up: continuous corrections, instead of using the moderation comment field. Otherwise only the few moderators reading the comment on the database will see it.

Edited by kurzih