LaunchBox Community Forums

neo geo and mame slider

WInzen

2 problems 1 question

• question 1) are all neo geo roms in the full mame sets?

• Problem 1)Mame

I cannot find a stock filter / slider crt scan line effect which isnt way too dark.  The exact look I want is found when you use retroarch neogeo.

• Problem 2)NEO GEO

Some of my neo geo roms don't work with retroarch / fbalpha2012neogeo libretro and some dont have art work.  I need to seperate my neo geo from mame.

Goal

I want all my mame to look like the retroarch neogeo scanlines which is basically a nice bright colourful crt which to me looks authentic.

And I want all my neo geo roms in their own platform separate section.

I would settle for a mame slider filter which was bright and colourful.  And then if I could separate all the neogeo into their own platform I would abandon the retro-arch for neo geo.  Or any solution to get the crt look and neogeo on its own.

Can anyone pls help?  Thanks ?

thumbnail.jpg

15 minutes ago, WInzen said:

question 1) are all neo geo roms in the full mame sets?

All the arcade games yes.

I cannot find a stock filter / slider crt scan line effect which isnt way too dark.  The exact look I want is found when you use retroarch neogeo.

Mame has a different shader system. You could use the Mame RA core if you prefer the shaders.

Some of my neo geo roms don't work with retroarch / fbalpha2012neogeo libretro and some dont have art wo

Your roms are probably too new for the old cores, use FBAlpha if you have an up to date rom set.

I need to seperate my neo geo from mame.

If you have a Non Merged Mame rom set I have a batch file that you can use to pull out a separate set.

17 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

All the arcade games yes.

Mame has a different shader system. You could use the Mame RA core if you prefer the shaders.

Your roms are probably too new for the old cores, use FBAlpha if you have an up to date rom set.

If you have a Non Merged Mame rom set I have a batch file that you can use to pull out a separate set.

hello...i dont know where to "get" an up to date rom set for neogeo (not sure if im allowed to ask).  ~Also Is it an undated pack like mame?

how do i use the "Mame RA core" ?

I have mame full set 228 split and chd 228 merged so not sure if that helps....

I just want to separate my platforms in prep for BigBox :)

thanks for any help

Edited by WInzen

1 minute ago, WInzen said:

hello...i dont know where to "get" an up to date rom set for neogeo (not sure if im allowed to ask).

There typically is not a NeoGeo specific rom set out there other than meant for the flash drive or who knows what version.

2 minutes ago, WInzen said:

Is it an undated pack like mame?

It's packed in with Mame and FBA sets.

3 minutes ago, WInzen said:

I have mame full set 228 split and chd 228 merged so not sure if that helps....

Unfortunately not but you can try this older batch file, I think it was for the Split set.

5 minutes ago, WInzen said:

I just want to separate my platforms in prep for BigBox

Are you not going to have the full Mame set imported as well ? If you did you could just use a playlist for Neo instead of spreading roms about.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

There typically is not a NeoGeo specific rom set out there other than meant for the flash drive or who knows what version.

It's packed in with Mame and FBA sets.

Unfortunately not but you can try this older batch file, I think it was for the Split set.

Are you not going to have the full Mame set imported as well ? If you did you could just use a playlist for Neo instead of spreading roms about.

thanks for reply

how do i use the "Mame RA core" ?  pls

I will try that separator thanks.

Playlist? So does that mean I have to individually add all the neo geo roms and would that work like a platform?

I just want to get them on their own.  I noticed that there is snk classics and snk neogeo mvs sub headings under my ARCADE main heading.  Are they playlists and if so why are they separate and can i just get them all together ?

how do i use the "Mame RA core" ?  pls

Same way as the FBA cores.

Playlist? So does that mean I have to individually add all the neo geo roms and would that work like a platform?

Well if you do a full set import there is an option to auto generate playlists and NeoGeo is one of them.

3 minutes ago, WInzen said:

I noticed that there is snk classics and snk neogeo mvs sub headings under my ARCADE main heading.  Are they playlists and if so why are they separate and can i just get them all together ?

Probably the auto generated playlists.

Playlist aren't extra roms, they are simply playlists, think of them like shortcuts.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

Same way as the FBA cores.

Well if you do a full set import there is an option to auto generate playlists and NeoGeo is one of them.

Probably the auto generated playlists.

Playlist aren't extra roms, they are simply playlists, think of them like shortcuts.

ahhh that makes more sense.  Hmmm so I auto generated some which I guess I can use.  My only issue with this is though I have full sets some of the neo geo roms auto generated into LB are asian versions.  Not sure how to make it into the English versions despite using NORTH AMERICA as preference.

I cannot import a full set again as it takes hours for me and then it took me 7 days of editing to test and remove what i would call no longer viable games in 2021 (the really bad stuff haha).

I sadly still do not understand how to mess with these cores (though I did google this).  I have a selection in mame slider but none of them are hoz scanlines without being way too dark and not sure which slider brightens the screen or lessens the scanlines.  The irony is both retro arch and snes9 emulators automatically do perfect scanlines but mame is a literal night mare to achieve this same authentic arcade look haha

sorry for my ignorance...i have gone from knowing nothing at all to building my first MAME pc from scratch and fully installing all the software up to big box and getting a full mame set and chd up and running (almost).  But I still have so much to learn and have to keep asking stupid questions haha