LaunchBox Community Forums

How to automatically start a game with JoyToKey support in LB

legolas119

17 minutes ago, legolas119 said:

yes, my controller is 1708 so i should be able to connect it via bluetooth to my pc without any dongle..?!

Apparently... Yes!

20 minutes ago, legolas119 said:

I'm trying with the existing congiuration but it has some issues, for example even if i don't push the right button, the characters continue to run...

I don't know why but there is Joystick 1 and Stick1 in yellow...

That is stick drift. That means the stick doesn't totally auto-centers itself. (Normal issue with controllers.) You can fix this by calibrating your controller in he Windows controller control panel or by setting a deadzone for your left stick in JoyToKey.

Schermopname (70).jpg

Edited by Koroth

Thanks both! 

1) I have the xbox one X controller and it is perfectly supported! probably the issues with joy to key are related to this: i can't use both joytokey and original mapping supported by the game. Is it possible to change the default mapping in Contra Evolution? If it automatically support this joypad, i can avooid the JoytoKey configuration in LB :)

2) Koroth I have your config in JoytoKey and it seems that it is correct, so I don't know why i have the issues when i use JoytoKey. But it works without Joytokye, so it is ok :)  It should be perfect if it could be possible to change the defaul mapping in Contra Evolution :)

thanks!

3 minutes ago, legolas119 said:

I have the xbox one X controller and it is perfectly supported!

Great, native support is always the best.

4 minutes ago, legolas119 said:

probably the issues with joy to key are related to this: i can't use both joytokey and original mapping supported by the game.

I don't know what you mean. If the game supports keyboard controls, and is set up to use them, then JoyToKey should be no problem. The game isn't even aware you are using JoyToKey.

9 minutes ago, legolas119 said:

It should be perfect if it could be possible to change the defaul mapping in Contra Evolution

I have no idea. I don't have that game.

Game on!!!

35 minutes ago, legolas119 said:

so I don't know why i have the issues when i use JoytoKey

I want to mention one more thing that sprang to mind about why JoyToKey might not work for you. If you have multiple controller connected to your computer, windows changes the controller number frequently, especially upon reboot. What once was Controller 1 is now Controller 2 and vice versa. For example if you have a Xbox controller that is controller 1 in Windows and a Playstation controller that is controller 2 the order might change. If you make a profile for a game in JoyToKey for joystick 1, the next time you start JoyToKey that controller might be Joystick 2 and your profile does not work. Therefore in JoyToKey you can couple device names to joystick profiles so the right joystick profile is always applied to a specific controller. 

Schermopname (71).jpg

This is one of two reasons I still launch through RocketLauncher.  All you have to do there, is select the game from their list, go to the keymapping tab, and create a new profile.  RL then launches joytokey for you to map the controls, save it.  Then anytime that game is launched, RL will automatically launch joy2key with that profile.  No scripts or anything to mess with, all GUI.  For dummies like me lol.

well, now unfortunately i have to re-map every emulator...and game...  so it should be better to remove my previous setting from my pc. In this way every emulator will detect as primary joypad only the Xbox controller. Is it possible to remoeve the previous configuration from my pc? I can remove the driver, and ...?

For example, i have 6 steam games, and even if the xbox controller is automatically detected and mapped, only 3 of them works. The others 3 games doesn't detect the new joypad :(

Here my JoytoKey config: I would like to remove ALL the Logiteh (i don't know why there are 3 logitech,,,i have only one Logitech pad...). Is it possible? I would like to remove my previous joypad from the pc.

thanks!

problema.png

EDIT: in any case, now Contra Evolution works also with JoytoKey and it correctly starts from LM, many thanks! I don't know if i can change the mapping of the 2 buttons (jump and fire) in JoytoKye: currently they are mapped exactly as they are automatically mapped even if I don't use Joy to Key... 

Edited by legolas119

13 minutes ago, legolas119 said:

well, now unfortunately i have to re-map every emulator...and game... 

As I understand it the Logitech RumblePad 2 is a Dinput controller and Xbox controllers are Xinput. So there is no avoiding remapping games and emulators.

16 minutes ago, legolas119 said:

so it should be better to remove my previous setting from my pc. In this way every emulator will detect as primary joypad only the Xbox controller. Is it possible to remoeve the previous configuration from my pc? I can remove the driver, and ...?

That depends, if you ever only going to use the Xbox controller you could do that. Remove the driver and to be sure you should also unplug your old dongle. If you ever want to play a 2-player game with 2 controllers, then you could keep it but you have to be very careful when configuring emulator controls. A lot of emulators also lets you assign configurations to a specific controller.

22 minutes ago, legolas119 said:

For example, i have 6 steam games, and even if the xbox controller is automatically detected and mapped, only 3 of them works. The others 3 games doesn't detect the new joypad

That is strange. Xbox controllers are the most widely supported controllers. If a game offers controls for xbox 360 controllers and up, your Xbox One controller will work. But however, in some games you can't configure your controls from ingame. They have a separate configuration utility from where you must set your controls. 

26 minutes ago, legolas119 said:

Here my JoytoKey config: I would like to remove ALL the Logiteh (i don't know why there are 3 logitech,,,i have only one Logitech pad...). Is it possible? I would like to remove my previous joypad from the pc.

If you want them gone you must disconnect your controller from your pc en remove the drivers. Windows can detect wireless controllers even if they are turned off, as long as the dongle is plugged in.

In closing I have a few other things I want to mention. It can send you down a rabbit hole, but these things are optional. Unfortunately controller detection in Windows can be a mess. I know one app that lets you assign a fixed order to controller detection. Have a look here. Devreorder: https://github.com/briankendall/devreorder but there are other programs that let you do the same.

Also I'd like to mention. You could use software like x360ce (there are other programs as well) that create a virtual Xbox 360 controller for your Logitech RumblePad 2 and then hide your RumblePad 2. Then Windows only sees 2 Xbox controllers and the order in which they are detected is less important because they can share controller configurations. (I do this with my DS4 controller and DS4Windows.)

thanks

1) I have unplugged the usb doggle and unistalled the driver, but the Logitech profiles are still present in JoyToKey.  And I still have the problem with the 3 games on Steam: the xbox controller is detected in steam, and before to start the game, I verified that it is present as default controller for each game. It seems that everything is correct, but when I start the games, the joypad isn't detected. In Melty Blood it seems that I'm detected as Player 2, but i can only configure the keyboard in the Option menu of the game... and in Crimson Skies and Vanguard princess, the joypad isn't detected at all...

2) i know that this is a really stupid question...  Now I'm configuring again every emulator, because I will use my Xbox One X pad, that it works really well.  But I would like to buy the wireless dongle in order to play wireless. When I will play wireless, the joypad will be detected, is that correct? I mean, it will not necessary to re-map again every emulator, am I right?

thank you very much!

i have another question: I have only one Xbox One controller. If i buy the wireless dongle in order to use it with my emulators/pc too, the joypad can be simultaneoulsy be used with Xbox One X and with the pc? I mean: can I perform pairing with both pc and xbox? Or does I need 2 joypad, one for xbox and one for pc?

thanks!

10 minutes ago, legolas119 said:

the joypad can be simultaneoulsy be used with Xbox One X and with the pc? I mean: can I perform pairing with both pc and xbox? Or does I need 2 joypad, one for xbox and one for pc?

Of course it can be used on the Xbox one X and Windows. Microsoft makes both. Yes, you can switch between them.

thanks!  Now I have solved the issue of not detected joypad in 2 of the 3 games on Steam: for these games it is necessary to disable the xbox one controller.  

Now i stil,have issue with one game, Vanguard princess: even if I deactivate the joypad, sometimes the game detect it as player 2 and it seems playable, but the left/right command in the characters select screen doesn't work. Other times the joypad isn't detected at all. It seems that my previous joypad is still considered in this game...but i don't know how to remove it :(  I Have uninstalled driver and unplugged the dongle...

16 minutes ago, legolas119 said:

It seems that my previous joypad is still considered in this game...but i don't know how to remove it :(  I Have uninstalled driver and unplugged the dongle...

Search the game folder / files if there are .ini or .cfg files (maybe settings.ini or input.cfg) and look for controller / input entries and edit them. They can be in your Documents or AppData folder too.

well, in my AppData path tehre isn't any useful file for configuration of Stem games. But in my installing Steam patch, i found this: D:\EMULATORI\STEAM\steamapps\common\vanguard-princess\game.ini.  Probably i could try to delete this file and re-create it again rebooting the game...?

thanks!

yes, i tried. It seems that the joypad works almost correctly, but only in the charactes select screen, it doesn't work the left/right so i can't select all the characters... The game.ini file has this rows related th the Player 1:

Player1 KEY ã=84
Player1 KEY ‰E=70
Player1 KEY ‰º=66
Player1 KEY ¶=72
Player1 KEY ‚`=65
Player1 KEY ‚a=83
Player1 KEY ‚b=68
Player1 KEY ‚c=81
Player1 KEY ‚d=87
Player1 KEY ‚e=69
Player1 KEY PAUSE=27
Player1 JOY ‚`=0
Player1 JOY ‚a=1
Player1 JOY ‚b=2
Player1 JOY ‚c=3
Player1 JOY ‚d=4
Player1 JOY ‚e=5
Player1 JOY PAUSE=9

But i can't set them in the game options, these are the default command because in the settings of the game if I try to change something, the joypad isn't detected. And the directional button aren't detected at all. I don't know, probably it is a strange issue of my OS...I don't know, if it could be solve when i will format my C hdd...

I just downloaded the game and it runs fine with my 360 controller, the only difference in my game.ini is on the first line but that could be because you're using the Xbox One controller

Player1 KEY ã=27
Player1 KEY ‰E=70
Player1 KEY ‰º=66
Player1 KEY ¶=72
Player1 KEY ‚`=65
Player1 KEY ‚a=83
Player1 KEY ‚b=68
Player1 KEY ‚c=81
Player1 KEY ‚d=87
Player1 KEY ‚e=69
Player1 KEY PAUSE=27
Player1 JOY ‚`=0