LaunchBox Community Forums

SteamGridDB Scraper Plugin?

Smellbringer

I ain't much of a coder and this feels a bit outside my wheelhouse. But a neat idea would be a plugin that scraps cover images for games from SteamGridDB and applies them to games in any console. This would be great for things like Arcade games that don't have a uniform style like GridDB does or people who prefer to organize by series but also keep a unified style in terms of covers. I don't know how feasible that is but I see stuff like Youtube scrapers so it makes me curious if this can be done.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Bumping this because I agree. I'd also love to see this. If not as an official included feature in LaunchBox, at least as a plugin. SteamGridDB's got a fantastic selection of artwork for just Windows and MS-DOS games alone, let alone emulated console games. So it'd be a good option in the (sadly frequent) event that imported Steam games end up having missing media. Or, say, you have multiple Windows games from multiple sources (Steam itself, GoG, Game Pass, etc.) and you want them all to have a consistent box art aspect ratio.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I imagine if the API is up and running, we could setup a bounty for one of the great coders of this community like @JoeViking245

I personally feel this man deserves a bounty on the merit of how patient and helpful he is to noobs and then there are the plugins he has made and released. He has helped me countless time with scripting and coding unrelated projects and he is always so helpful and patient. Jus'sayin

• Thanks 1

We haven't reached back out to SteamGridDB because we were told they'd prefer us NOT to integrate them until after their 3.0 API release which hasn't yet happened (at least from I can tell via their Discord). Until we get the green light from them I'm not sure we'd officially integrate them into LaunchBox.

• 1 month later...