LaunchBox Community Forums

LED Blinky & Launchbox - LED Blinky not working

Hi guys,

Perhaps this is an LED Blinky problem and not LaunchBox, but I can't get LED Blinky to work with MAME within LaunchBox. I have the path set correctly under "options", and my LED Blinky key map was set up correctly with the program's wizard.

I keep getting the error, "No ROM Specified for Game Start event. Missing Parameter?"

Has anyone else encountered this and found a satisfactory solution? I found a couple forum posts but there never was a way to fix the issue.

Please help!

• 3 weeks later...

You should turn on debugging in LEDBlinky and post the what it is receiving from LB.

Without any more information, best guess is platform name doesn't match what LEDBlinky is expecting and/or characters in the game title are causing it not to be parsed right or passed to LEDBlinky correctly.

On 4/6/2021 at 4:42 PM, Headrush69 said:

You should turn on debugging in LEDBlinky and post the what it is receiving from LB.

Without any more information, best guess is platform name doesn't match what LEDBlinky is expecting and/or characters in the game title are causing it not to be parsed right or passed to LEDBlinky correctly.

I don't see this as having anything to do with the platform name. This seems to be a global issue with LB/BB sending the correct commands to LEDBlinky. Here's my response on a similar thread;

To provide some additional information on this issue, what seems to be happening is that LB/BB is not sending LEDBlinky the "GameSelected" command when a game is selected from a LB/BB list. The GameSelected command includes the Game/ROM name as a parameter. So then, when LB/BB sends LEDBlinky the GameStart command, LEDBlinky doesn't know which game is running and hence the error; "No ROM specified for Game Start event. Missing Parameters?"

Maybe there's a version of LB/BB that has a bug with the LEDBlinky commands? Or maybe there's some combination of LB/BB configuration that for some reason doesn't trigger the correct code when a game is selected? As the LEDBlinky dev, I can only see what's happening on the LEDBlinky side. As for the LB/BB code, I'm just guessing.

7 hours ago, Golfboy01 said:

I was getting the same error, I have tweaked a few things and the error comes and goes, but my servostiks have never switched-  Arzoo with LEDBlinky is thinking along the same line as HeadRush.

Here's my current log, if anyone has any ideas, I would love to hear them.

Debug.log 47.44 kB · 1 download

You may want to revise or delete your log as it has your email in it. Don’t need some spammer harvesting it.

10 minutes ago, C-Beats said:

Could I get the following information for the users having this problem ( @Headrush69 @Golfboy01 ). Are you having this issue when launching via LaunchBox or Big Box? If Big Box, what GamesView are you using?

I have no issue, LB and LedBlinky working perfectly on all versions including latest.

My issue in the past was tilde character and hidden characters in rom names that LB had no issue with but LEDBlinky did.

9 minutes ago, Golfboy01 said:

I have been trying only with launchbox, only because it loads quickly. I can try with bigbox and see if anything changes this morning. I have been using only 2 ROMs to test regularly, donkey Kong (4way) and contra (8 way).

So is the issue always happening or only sometimes? Saw in the log file that you ARE sending GameSelect on two games (one of which was contra) so want to make sure I'm understanding what is going on.

One thing of note when using LEDBlinky with LaunchBox in relation to this report is that if you have multiple items selected the GameSelect event doesn't happen, if you hit play we just play the first item selected in the selection. That COULD result in a GamePlay event firing without a GameSelect event happening first.

18 minutes ago, Golfboy01 said:

I just tried with BoxBox and the joys did not switch (I am using unified refried) I'll go back to the original theme...... - C-Beats, I am not sure what you mean about having multiple items selected?

Not sure what you mean by the joys didn't switch. Multiple Items selected, in LaunchBox in the Content View (the games) you can select more than one game at a time, that is what I'm referring to.

I had been having those same error codes in my ledblinky log as well a few months ago  "No ROM Specified for Game Start event. Missing Parameter?"but I havent fired up my arcade cabinet in a while to test. I remember having some issues with my Ultrastik 360's changing maps and if I remember correctly it was related to that error. I was mostly testing with BigBox when this error occurred. I can turn my cabinet on tonight and test again to see if I am still getting those errors but I believe it has been going on for quiet a while now and not something that was just introduced in a new beta or release.

13 minutes ago, kmoney said:

I had been having those same error codes in my ledblinky log as well a few months ago  "No ROM Specified for Game Start event. Missing Parameter?"but I havent fired up my arcade cabinet in a while to test. I remember having some issues with my Ultrastik 360's changing maps and if I remember correctly it was related to that error. I was mostly testing with BigBox when this error occurred. I can turn my cabinet on tonight and test again to see if I am still getting those errors but I believe it has been going on for quiet a while now and not something that was just introduced in a new beta or release.

I'd appreciate that. Thanks

7 hours ago, C-Beats said:

I'd appreciate that. Thanks

I just tested and I am getting no errors in the log at this time. I still think something is up however because its still not working correctly but I am not sure if it is something not right with Ledblinky , BigBox or my Ultrastik 360 joysticks.  Sometimes when I choose a game and press enter to enter the game the BigBox wheel will scroll up one game entering that game instead of the game I chose. Also sometimes when I exit a game the BigBox wheel will go crazy or the choose by letter bar will appear and it will start scrolling through it like there is phantom joystick presses even though I am not touching the joystick. This only happens when I enable the ultrastiks in ledblinky. When I disable them and still have ledblinky enabled everything seems to work normal but of course making my ultrastik joystick's useless.

@arzoo Does Launchbox have to have something in the code in order for the start and stop events for the Ultrastik to work correctly for the mapping?

Wow, there's so much unrelated info flying around in this thread, not even sure where to start ?

@Golfboy01 The log you posted above is not the same as the one you provided me via email a few days ago. In the log above, you're using LEDBlinky without any LED controllers, but you don't have the "No LEDs Mode" option enabled, so LEDBlinky is basically doing nothing. Try again with "No LEDs Mode" checked and email me back a new debug log if the ServoStiks are still not switching based on the selected game.

@kmoney I'm not sure what's going on with your U360s and LB/BB, but in some cases there is a problem with LEDBlinky reading the U360 data. I have a fix in the works, but for now you can manually edit the LEDBlinky settings.ini file (use any text editor) and set DetectJoysticks=0 under the [OtherSettings] section.

@C-Beats Thanks for trying to help with this. In the log that @Golfboy01 posted I do see one instance where LB sent the GameSelected (9) command with "gryzor" as the game parameter. There's just not enough data here to come to any conclusions.