LaunchBox Community Forums

Over 1GB of used RAM after a fresh install

ferrell

40 minutes ago, ferrell said:

Good morning, guys! I just reinstalled Launchbox after some time without using it and noticed this:

image.thumb.png.3e8da7596b6dfd096be50f5494b59a20.png

Is this kind of memory use without any game normal? I don't have any plugins or themes installed btw.

Yes, that is perfectly normal. Images are loaded into ram so that they do not need to be retrieved from a slow mechanical drive every time a new image is needed.

• Thanks 1

But I have no image loaded. When I talk about a fresh install, I really mean it.

I haven't imported any game yet to Launchbox. If now, it's using this kind of memory, when it actually starts to cache images, it will be even bigger, don't you agree?

Edited by ferrell
Spelling

13 minutes ago, ferrell said:

But I have no image loaded. When I talk about a fresh install, I really mean it.

I haven't imported any game yet to Launchbox. If now, it's using this kind of memory, when it actually starts to cache images, it will be even bigger, don't you agree?

I have over 13,000 games in my setup and the ram usage is still around 1.5GB.

image.thumb.png.e8d0aad7e0a8a6094bb3b71d375667f3.png

image.thumb.png.4338d6b438a8f1c60b6533f3209b2828.png

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, ferrell said:

I am not a developer and certainly not a LaunchBox developer. But it is my understanding that Task Manager (and similar programs) not necessarily report the memory used, but the memory reserved by a program. I don't know how much memory a fresh install of LaunchBox woud need at minimum. But in all reasonability LaunchBox can assume you are going to  add games. And for a smooth experience LaunchBox needs to cache files. I would not worry about the memory usage of a fresh install of LaunchBox. When I open LaunchBox with almost 900 games Task Manager reports 1.4 GB but drops down to 1 GB after a few minutes. In my opinion, more than 8 GB of ram in computers has been the norm for years now. You cant expert the development of software being held back by outdated configurations.

• Thanks 1