LaunchBox Community Forums

Input issues.

dmaker

I recently re-installed Launchbox on a machine after a fresh install of Windows 10. It was going fine for most of the day, but now things are weird. And I think it's all controller/input related.

It had been a while since I have installed and setup Launchbox. I use it on my main laptop and everything is fine. I recently re-installed Windows on my previous gaming laptop that is now my dedicated emulation box sitting inside my TV cabinet and connected via HDMI.

I'm uncertain what the proper way to handle input is. Right now I am using a combination of Logitech K400+ and an Nvidia Shield TV gamepad connected via Bluetooth.

I was doing some reading and I am confused. Some websites mentioned that I should install Input Mapper...just because. I also installed Controller Companion to map keys for ESC and Load/Save.  Do I really need any of that? It always seems to complicate things, so I decided that I am fine with using a keyboard to escape out of a game since I always have the K400+ handy. So I uninstalled Input Mapper, Controller Companion and rebooted. 

The Nvidia Shield I have mapped as an Xbox 360 in Fusion and it seems to work fine. My problem now is the K400+  It is acting weird all of a sudden. For example, if I hit F8 to load a save state, it brings up the projector overlay instead (the secondary function for that key) and this borks Fusion and I cannot escape the game or Bigbox and everything just kind of hangs. It's supremely annoying. But without a keyboard, how am I supposed to exit the emu?

I should note this works fine if I rdp into the machine to test things. I can exit a game by hitting escape just fine (games won't run fullscreen in rdp it seems, but who cares?)

Has anyone had similar issues with a K400+ ?  It's a pretty popular HTPC keyboard, so I'm maybe some people here use one and can offer some advice, or even just some tips around input in general. This always seems to be the area where I stumble the most and get aggravated after a few days and just give up on Bigbox on my TV completely. I'd rather not do that this time, but sometimes I get too frustrated and just walk away. 

Thanks

Well, I feel stupid. It's been a while since I used the K400+ with Launchbox. I had forgotten that F8 is actually the secondary function for the F8 key. The primary is projector, so I have to hold down FN+F8..doh!

I'm still not sure if I am doing things correctly input wise, but it seems to work for me. It would be nice to have fancy save/load keys on my controller, but I get anxious and impatient when trying to set that stuff up, so maybe I'll just use the keyboard for save/load/exit for now. 

Still having some issues with Mesen-X emus. Won't launch in full screen and esc doesn't exit. 

12 hours ago, dmaker said:

I got Mesen to exit with esc, but still can't get it to run full screen.

Do you know what version of Mesen you are using? I've never used the program, but from a post I'm reading, if you are using Mesen-S it's possible there's no command line argument that allows to automatically full screen the program when launched. If this is still the case, you would have to use an AHK script which can be applied in LaunchBox by going into Tools > Manage Emulators. Find Mesen and Edit, then go to the "Running AutoHotKey Script" tab and paste this in:

Sleep, 3000
SetKeyDelay, -1, 110
Send {F11}
Return

• 2 months later...