LaunchBox Community Forums

ALL work in Retroarch, only some in Launch box

GJBNH

Typically this is because you don't have the correct core selected for your RetroArch emulator inside of LaunchBox. Go to Tools > Edit Emulator. Find Retroarch and press "Edit", in the window that opens navigate to "Associated Platforms" and make sure the core is the core you actually have installed in RetroArch.

In regard to the "no search" comment I'm not sure really sure what you are talking about. We don't have any products that don't have search functionality.

17 minutes ago, GJBNH said:

By search, I mean search the forums. Pretty sure I'm not the first to run into this problem....search the forums FIRST would be a help.

There is a search, maybe look around a new site when you join it, rather than complaining it needs features it has ALWAYS had. 

6 minutes ago, GJBNH said:

Ok....there is no "edit emulator" in the tool menu...there is a "manage emulators" option, which does have open to an edit emulator,  no drop list is shown or available...latest version of Launchbox...

Double click were it list the currently used core, select from list. 

Hi there,

I too am having this issue. I’ve followed instructions to a tee to setup retroarch within launch box. Have ensured I have downloaded the correct cores, etc. 

many games will launch in retroarch no problem. When I launch them in launchbox - black/blank screen. Any troubleshooting tips or hints would be most appreciated!!

6 minutes ago, lennox said:

Hi there,

I too am having this issue. I’ve followed instructions to a tee to setup retroarch within launch box. Have ensured I have downloaded the correct cores, etc. 

many games will launch in retroarch no problem. When I launch them in launchbox - black/blank screen. Any troubleshooting tips or hints would be most appreciated!!

What systems specifically, and have you followed the steps above to assign the correct core?

Hi Neil,

thanks for your response. So far I’ve tried SNES, n64, nes and sega genesis.

quick update 6/29 - snes and nes work. N64 (tried both mupen and parallel) and genesis do not.

thanks 

Edited by lennox

Almost...the above mention how to solves the problem MOSTLY...still have some roms which do not work, Usually go into Retroarch to see what core it uses...again these work. BUT when I go into Launchbox same roms fail...EX. Genesis Master system (Mark III) for sure has me stumped...have tried ALL the Retroarch cores in Launchbox...

On 6/28/2021 at 10:15 AM, C-Beats said:

Typically this is because you don't have the correct core selected for your RetroArch emulator inside of LaunchBox. Go to Tools > Edit Emulator. Find Retroarch and press "Edit", in the window that opens navigate to "Associated Platforms" and make sure the core is the core you actually have installed in RetroArch.

In regard to the "no search" comment I'm not sure really sure what you are talking about. We don't have any products that don't have search functionality.

22 hours ago, neil9000 said:

There is a search, maybe look around a new site when you join it, rather than complaining it needs features it has ALWAYS had. 

Double click were it list the currently used core, select from list. 

Alright, that seems to be the problem...the SEARCH box appears to ONLY be available if I'm not signed in...it appears when I'm signed out. Since I've always signed in, no search.

12 minutes ago, GJBNH said:

Alright, that seems to be the problem...the SEARCH box appears to ONLY be available if I'm not signed in...it appears when I'm signed out. Since I've always signed in, no search.

Not true at all, as you can see in this image, im logged in, this actual post is on the activity feed, and i have a search bar top right.

image.thumb.png.1a9bee47c04f2d09ec1358bc6ac77a06.png

1 hour ago, GJBNH said:

The problem seems to be .zip files work in Retroarch, but not in Launchbox....weird...

No. LB does not care about the file type. LB only sends a command line to RA to run the game and the core you set to run it. You have something else wrong and it is likely how you set up the emulator and/or the game in LB. 

What system are you having issues with. If more than one just name one. Let’s start simple. 

Then share a pic of your Retroarch setup in LB. in Manage Emulators edit RA and share a pic of the Details tab and the Associated Platforms tab (make sure it is showing the platform’s name). 

Also right click one of the games you are having issues with end edit it. Share a pic of the Emulation page and the Launcher page. 

23 minutes ago, GJBNH said:

Here are the screenshots you requested...Console system is 3DO

Screenshot (5).png

Screenshot (6).png

OK, two possible issues here. Issue one you say your roms are zipped, but in your first image above you do not have the checkbox to unzip games checked. Two even if that is checked, i'm gonna assume there is more than one file inside the zips, which in that case Launchbox has no idea which file is the file the emulator needs so it just picks one, seemingly correctly sometimes, and incorrectly others.

My advice, never keep roms zipped, especially roms that are more than one file, it will cause you more headaches than the minuscule amount of space you are saving by doing so, i'm assuming inside the zip is a bin and a cue file, there is no need to compress them, and you may even find it beneficial to convert them to another format like CHD, which is one file and is also compressed, but Retroarch cores can read it as is, no decompression needed.