LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox 11.12 won't open; help please!

n8cermak

• The "initializing" progress bar just stops whenever I try to open LB
  • I am a LB Premium user
  • I tried running old versions 11.11, 11.10, etc.; same issue
  • I tried uninstalling and reinstalling; same issue
  • Windows 10 Pro Version 21H1

What is my next step?!

Typically I've seen that when a dependency is missing or corrupt. Make sure you run the installer again and then go to command prompt and open it as administrator and type "/sfc scannow" (without quotes) and press enter, and let that tool run. Will repair any OS dependencies that could be causing an issue.

@C-Beats Thanks, I gave that a try and it still closes during the "initializing" process.

Results from command prompt -->

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.19043.1081]
(c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>/sfc scannow
'/sfc' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Windows\system32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan.  This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them.
For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at
windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offline
repairs, details are included in the log file provided by the /OFFLOGFILE flag.

C:\Windows\system32>

4 minutes ago, n8cermak said:

@C-Beats Thanks, I gave that a try and it still closes during the "initializing" process.

Results from command prompt -->

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.19043.1081]
(c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>/sfc scannow
'/sfc' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Windows\system32>sfc /scannow

Beginning system scan.  This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them.
For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at
windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offline
repairs, details are included in the log file provided by the /OFFLOGFILE flag.

C:\Windows\system32>

The correct syntax is below, just copy paste it.

sfc /scannow

4 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Do you have logging enabled in Launchbox?

I'm not sure, but here is what I found...

The "Logs" folder is empty, but here is the text I found in the "debug.log" file -->

[1218/053114.803:ERROR:directory_reader_win.cc(43)] FindFirstFile: The system cannot find the path specified. (0x3)

Just now, n8cermak said:

I'm not sure, but here is what I found...

The "Logs" folder is empty, but here is the text I found in the "debug.log" file -->

[1218/053114.803:ERROR:directory_reader_win.cc(43)] FindFirstFile: The system cannot find the path specified. (0x3)

Yeah thats not one of our logs.

OK go to your Launchbox/Data folder and find the settings.xml file, open it in a text reader like notepad, find the line starting with something like debug logging, and change the false to true, save the file. Now start Launchbox and when it fails go to your Launchbox/Logs folder and post the created log here.

4 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Yeah thats not one of our logs.

OK go to your Launchbox/Data folder and find the settings.xml file, open it in a text reader like notepad, find the line starting with something like debug logging, and change the false to true, save the file. Now start Launchbox and when it fails go to your Launchbox/Logs folder and post the created log here.

2021-06-29 11:41:09 AM Resolving assembly System.IO.FileSystem.resources, Version=4.1.2.0, Culture=en-US, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a...
2021-06-29 11:41:09 AM Resolving assembly System.IO.FileSystem.resources, Version=4.1.2.0, Culture=en, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a...
2021-06-29 11:41:09 AM All necessary config files and folders now confirmed to exist.
2021-06-29 11:41:09 AM About to initialize WPF App constructor...
2021-06-29 11:41:09 AM Resolving assembly CefSharp.Wpf, Version=83.4.20.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=40c4b6fc221f4138...
2021-06-29 11:41:09 AM CefSharp assembly path: C:\Users\Nate\LaunchBox\ThirdParty\Chromium\CefSharp.Wpf.dll
2021-06-29 11:41:09 AM CefSharp assembly path found, loading...
2021-06-29 11:41:09 AM Resolving assembly CefSharp.Core, Version=83.4.20.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=40c4b6fc221f4138...
2021-06-29 11:41:09 AM CefSharp assembly path: C:\Users\Nate\LaunchBox\ThirdParty\Chromium\CefSharp.Core.dll
2021-06-29 11:41:09 AM CefSharp assembly path found, loading...
2021-06-29 11:41:09 AM FIRST CHANCE EXCEPTION: An attempt was made to load a program with an incorrect format. (0x8007000B)
   at System.Runtime.Loader.AssemblyLoadContext.LoadFromPath(IntPtr ptrNativeAssemblyLoadContext, String ilPath, String niPath, ObjectHandleOnStack retAssembly)
   at System.Runtime.Loader.AssemblyLoadContext.LoadFromAssemblyPath(String assemblyPath)
   at System.Reflection.Assembly.LoadFile(String path)
   at Unbroken.LaunchBox.Windows.Desktop.Program.<>c.PrintJmsModel(Object sender, ResolveEventArgs e)

Not an error I've seen before. Looks like one of the dependencies that should have been added during the installer didn't get put in place correctly. I would make sure no antivirus is blocking the installer or LaunchBox from opening or isn't blocking any DLLs from being ran or opened.

I have this same problem. I have no antivirus, just the normal Defender. It works okay on my main PC (though this version of LB was installed as an update so the dependencies were probably already there), but when installing this version on my laptop (nothing there already) I get the same exact logged error.

This needs more attention, it's a serious problem. Please.

I solved it. I ended up repairing Visual C++ 2015 in the Apps section of Settings and it started working after a restart. @n8cermak If you still have the issue, try this.

Edited by Noxillio

On 7/8/2021 at 11:29 AM, Noxillio said:

I have this same problem. I have no antivirus, just the normal Defender. It works okay on my main PC (though this version of LB was installed as an update so the dependencies were probably already there), but when installing this version on my laptop (nothing there already) I get the same exact logged error.

This needs more attention, it's a serious problem. Please.

I solved it. I ended up repairing Visual C++ 2015 in the Apps section of Settings and it started working after a restart. @n8cermak If you still have the issue, try this.

I am also having issue with LB and BB not starting. I am on a Windows 7 Pro. How do I go about repairing Visual C++?

18 minutes ago, jitu757 said:

I am also having issue with LB and BB not starting. I am on a Windows 7 Pro. How do I go about repairing Visual C++?

Go to Control Panel > Programs and Features

You should find it in there, it’ll be the one that says 2015 (or a range including 2015, which was the case for me).

Click on it and there should be an option to uninstall or repair it. You’ll want to repair it.

Edited by Noxillio