LaunchBox Community Forums

Naomi Games requiring CHD files?

RaiderX1212

Please help me again.

I am now adding Naomi to my LaunchBox using the same setup process I did for Atomiswave.

its all good and well but now I have run into games than need CHD files. For example Beach Spikers. I did download the CHD and put it in the same folder as the game zip but the game does not start up, I then unzipped the CHD and also kept it in the same folder but still the game does not start up. Another game I downloaded that did not need a CHD works fine.

See screenshot. "otrigger.zip" is Outtrigger and it runs fine.

"beachspi.zip" was the main file for Beach Spikers. I saw it needed a CHD as the ROM site had that as well so I just downloaded it and placed it in the same folder zipped as "beachspi-chd.zip"

Then when the game would not run I tried to unzip it thus the other file "gds-0014.chd" but it still does not run. What am I doing wrong?

CHD Required.jpg

20 minutes ago, RaiderX1212 said:

Please help me again.

I am now adding Naomi to my LaunchBox using the same setup process I did for Atomiswave.

its all good and well but now I have run into games than need CHD files. For example Beach Spikers. I did download the CHD and put it in the same folder as the game zip but the game does not start up, I then unzipped the CHD and also kept it in the same folder but still the game does not start up. Another game I downloaded that did not need a CHD works fine.

See screenshot. "otrigger.zip" is Outtrigger and it runs fine.

"beachspi.zip" was the main file for Beach Spikers. I saw it needed a CHD as the ROM site had that as well so I just downloaded it and placed it in the same folder zipped as "beachspi-chd.zip"

Then when the game would not run I tried to unzip it thus the other file "gds-0014.chd" but it still does not run. What am I doing wrong?

CHD Required.jpg

CHD's should be in a folder with the same name as the rom.

image.thumb.png.af09b852ea7499ab6a2122917e813a9e.png

37 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

CHD's should be in a folder with the same name as the rom.

image.thumb.png.af09b852ea7499ab6a2122917e813a9e.png

Yea I dont know, something is not right.

I am not sure if all these games are actually Naomi games now. Even when putting the CHD in a folder with the same name as the game file it does not start up. Even if unzipped or not.

Im not sure what to do other than just leaving out the games that do not work.

1 minute ago, RaiderX1212 said:

Yea I dont know, something is not right.

I am not sure if all these games are actually Naomi games now. Even when putting the CHD in a folder with the same name as the game file it does not start up. Even if unzipped or not.

Im not sure what to do other than just leaving out the games that do not work.

Could be your CHD's are wrong, CHD's are versioned just like the roms are, and the further you get away in version the least likely they are to work. Roms and CHD's change over time, and MAME itself knows exactly what file it wants, if those files dont match the game wont run. I would assume any emulator that uses actual MAME files would be the same.

1 minute ago, neil9000 said:

Could be your CHD's are wrong, CHD's are versioned just like the roms are, and the further you get away in version the least likely they are to work. Roms and CHD's change over time, and MAME itself knows exactly what file it wants, if those files dont match the game wont run. I would assume any emulator that uses actual MAME files would be the same.

Should I have a special Bios for Naomi?

I have simply been adding the games and running them through Flycast which still only has than 1 bios I got earlier following your instructions. Some games work, others not.

1 hour ago, neil9000 said:

Yes, you need bios files.The bios files should also be in your MAME romset.

image.thumb.png.3bf57be2266cba1489c957676eb6c5b6.png

OK I seem to be getting somewhere, I found LST files in another download for Noami ROMS from interne archive.

The games I testes so far works, except for a strange message that pops up when the game starts "Please upgrade to MAME romset of expect issues"

Thats strange, does it mean I should not really be using the LST files (as also ETA Prime showed in his video to use LST files)? It seems easier as there is no need for CHD files with them.

6 hours ago, RaiderX1212 said:

OK I seem to be getting somewhere, I found LST files in another download for Noami ROMS from interne archive.

The games I testes so far works, except for a strange message that pops up when the game starts "Please upgrade to MAME romset of expect issues"

Thats strange, does it mean I should not really be using the LST files (as also ETA Prime showed in his video to use LST files)? It seems easier as there is no need for CHD files with them.

Yes. LST files are an outdated form.  You should really be using the roms from the latest or at least as current a Mame rom set as possible.

12 hours ago, Retro808 said:

Yes. LST files are an outdated form.  You should really be using the roms from the latest or at least as current a Mame rom set as possible.

Its just that its much easier with the LST files as they dont require CHD's

So far the games I tested did not have any issues. I just dont like going through the whole head ache of downloading the latest Mame ROM set (and searching for it) and then searching all over the internet to try and find the CHD files.

I really wish these Mame ROM sets included the CHDs.

What is the lastest Mame ROM set?

If I download it, does it mean upgrading my Mame version to the same number and then also deleting my whole current Mame setup and re-importing everything? That is also a head ache as if you select importing images it can take more than a day to import. Would not look forward to that again.

1 hour ago, RaiderX1212 said:

So far the games I tested did not have any issues. I just dont like going through the whole head ache of downloading the latest Mame ROM set (and searching for it) and then searching all over the internet to try and find the CHD files.

Archive and Pleasuredome are useful site (Sorry, against rules to provide actual links to rom sites). I found a 0.225 Mame CHD set in a few seconds on Archive  site. Those would work perfectly. You can also register for that certain pleasuredome site as they always have the latest Mame. However, I think the latest chd is only .232. .233 does not have a download. Could be wrong, been a week or so since I looked.

What is the lastest Mame ROM set?

Mame site. Latest download is 0.233

If I download it, does it mean upgrading my Mame version to the same number and then also deleting my whole current Mame setup and re-importing everything? That is also a head ache as if you select importing images it can take more than a day to import. Would not look forward to that again.

You can delete the platform. Import the new rom set and uncheck media options. LB will attach any existing media to the new import.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, RaiderX1212 said:

If the CHD's were included as well you could be talking about a 700GB download, there is no reason to force a download that big on people, especially as so few working games even need them. Even games like Street Fighter 3 have a "nocd" rom version which doesnt need a CHD to run.

56 minutes ago, RaiderX1212 said:

You would need the matching version of the emulator, yes. As for updating to that set in Launchbox, i dont even delete my current platform, i just run the importer again pointing at the new rom folder, that way i dont lose any data like favourites i may of made. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

- The CHD's need to be in a folder with the same name as the (Mame) zips. Put the folders with CHD's in the same folder as where your Naomi / Naomi 2 zips are.

- Use the latest version of the CHD.

- You need the appropriate bios files. (naomi.zip, naomi2.zip, naomigd.zip)

You can check which CHD you need on this site. Copy / paste the mame rom name in the search field. > Select the version you have. > Scroll down to "Files". > Expand "Required Files". It will show you which bioses / CHD's you need to run that game.

Edited by Your Friendly A.I Overlord

2 hours ago, Joe35car said:

Anyway to avoid putting the CHDs in the same folder as MAME roms. Don't want to do that. How about placing the roms needed for those games in the CHD folder? 

Eh? So you don't want the roms in the same folder as your CHD's, but then ask if you can put the actual rom inside of the corresponding CHD folder? I don't get the question, but if you wanted to put each rom in its own CHD's folder, you would have to add every single CHD folder to the ini so that the emulator would know where to find them, tedious and completely needless work.