LaunchBox Community Forums

Exception error with Bizhawk NES roms

5thWolf

So until this recent update all was working perfectly, but when I launch NES games now I get an exemption error.  I do know that Bizhawk had a few updates as well.
However if I run Bizhawk on its own and open the ROM it works fine, but through LaunchBox it gives me this error.....

Capture.PNG

1 hour ago, 5thWolf said:

So until this recent update all was working perfectly, but when I launch NES games now I get an exemption error.  I do know that Bizhawk had a few updates as well.
However if I run Bizhawk on its own and open the ROM it works fine, but through LaunchBox it gives me this error.....

Capture.PNG

The error you show is clearly a Bizhawk error, so the path forward is as you theorized, what caused it, it could be a issue with Launchbox and the way it accepts and commanline or other things. Or, its a Bizhawk issue, im not sure how many people round here even use it.

Any reason why you do?

• Like 1

To help eliminate how many different emulators I run. It runs tons of the ones I use perfectly. Like atari 2600, 7800, nes, snes, tg16 + cd tons more.

Wonder what is up with the command issue then. Nothing was touched on LB and BH UI and options haven't changed that I can tell. BizHawk runs just fine when I load the ROMs on it's own. Only through LB does it happen.

Edited by 5thWolf

It is definitely something within Bizhawk. It does not like if the command line is using " (quotes) around the path. In LB Emulators setting if you check the box to remove the quotes Bizhawk does run and there is no error, however, the rom is not running.  Test with and old version like 2.3.1 and no issues using quotes or not in the path. 

I did not mess with it more as I need to run tend to an errand.

• Thanks 1

So reverted 3 version back and seems to work. So I guess this new version of Bizhawk loads by commands differently? So does anyone have any suggestions? Autohotkey in LB maybe or anything to get it working again? I don't want to revert back since Bizhawk will only move forward from here.

• 2 weeks later...

So I squeezed it down that BizHawk 2.6.1 works perfectly and 2.6.2 does not. Looking through the changes for 2.6.2 there are some things that sounds like would have affected the startup. So if anyone takes a peak and maybe could make sense of it. Here is the change log:

BizHawk 2.6.2

• Released May 25th, 2021
  • Set all cores to update Frame counter post-emulation. NOTE: This is a sync breaking change for MGBA movies using RTC, as the time sent to the core was the pre-incremented time.
  • mGBA
    • update to 0.9.1
  • Gambatte
    • Fix RTC on Hard Reset
    • MBC3 Fixes
    • Support setting inital RTC state during a movie recording
    • Fix layer masking
    • Move layer masking to sync settings (these settings affect sync)
    • Block toggle layer hotkeys when movie recording
    • Update GBA modeswitch timing and testROM accuracy
    • Fix autodetection of console mode
    • Add wisdom tree mapper suport
    • clarify sync settings (#2688)
  • GBHawk
    • Fix OAM DMA Bus Conflict emulation (#2709)
    • #2715 , still needs vram open bus fix but that's seperate
  • NesHawk
    • Add missing mapper variable to state for some pirate games
  • O2Hawk
    • Fix PAL time calculation (#2684)
  • PCE
    • Fix default PCE gamepad bindings (fixes #2720)
    • Fix crashes in PCE debugger
  • N64
    • Add N64 plugin categories (#2729)
    • Fix memory.read to allow addresses 0x80000000..0xFFFFFFFF (#1734)
  • GPGX
    • Add missing menacer keys (#2718)
  • Intellivision
    • Fix aspect ratio (#2670)
  • SMS
    • Fix system Id (#2650)
  • C64
    • Implement memory hooks (#2726)
  • EmuHawk
    • Fix FormatException on startup on certain locales (#2716)
    • Fix GB Layers not toggling (#2491)
    • Add utvideo to ffmpeg dumper
    • Movies - respect LogKey of loaded movie
    • Firmware Config - don't treat known-but-bad as good (#2224)
    • Rewinder
      • Fix bug where nothing happens on the first press when frame interval is 1 (#2667)
      • Add delta compression option (Good size reduction for some cores, less useful for others)
    • Ram Watch - fix autoload
    • Hex Editor - .tbl file loading - clear table before loading a new one, ignore empty lines in file
    • Debugger - Add rgbds syntax for GB/C disassembly (#2706)
    • CDL - Fix SNES core crash on load (#2662)
    • Fix Log Window (#2694)
    • Lua
      • Accept all 4 colour formats in all Lua functions (#2602)
      • Support swapping input using joypad.set() and joypad.get()
      • client.seekframe - Prevent hangs from trying to go backwards
      • lua socket fixes (#2194, #2671)
      • MovieClock.lua - use cycle based time for Gambatte/SubGBHawk (#2708)
    • TAStudio
      • Fix auto-restore bug where auto-restore position was not set correctly the first time using it after auto-restore usage earlier in the movie
      • Fix broken tastudio when selecting "New from the File" menu item and saving changes when asked
      • Fix autoload
      • Fix Converting to bk2 resulting in unsaved changes never asterisk appearing (#2583)
      • Branches
        • Fix branch loading (#2640)
        • Fix hotkeys
        • Fix right-clicking a branch when the contextmenu was already open would throw an exception
        • Branch view will now scroll to the updated branch when using hotkeys to update a branch
        • Fix exception, scroll to branch on updating branch and fix #2645
        • Make load branch hotkey deselect all but one branch
      • Add initial marker in frame 0 when loading older tasprojs (#2693)

Alright I guess its confirmed! I tried with an official earlier version, 2.6.1 and a dev build after (7/28/21 build) and it works just fine. So... for now I reverted back to 2.6.1 and will just skip 2.6.2 since the dev builds work just fine.

Thanks again @Retro808 for all your input and helping me come to a conclusion!

• 1 month later...