LaunchBox Community Forums

MAME Clones

MapleLeaf

So a MAME game called "Gun Frontier" wasn't showing up in LB, but after looking for it in standalone MAME, it does show, but I noticed that It's a clone of Gun Frontier called: "Gun & Frontier" which explains why I couldn't find it in LB -- because by default when you import, LB doesn't include clones I believe. 

So is there a way to search for clones by their original game name in LB other than having to open standalone MAME to find what the name of the clone is? 

2 hours ago, MapleLeaf said:

So a MAME game called "Gun Frontier" wasn't showing up in LB, but after looking for it in standalone MAME, it does show, but I noticed that It's a clone of Gun Frontier called: "Gun & Frontier" which explains why I couldn't find it in LB -- because by default when you import, LB doesn't include clones I believe. 

So is there a way to search for clones by their original game name in LB other than having to open standalone MAME to find what the name of the clone is? 

If you do a MAME import and check the box to import clones then searching will bring up anything in the main name field as well as the Alternative Names section.  See example below since with clone import:  

Capture.thumb.PNG.eaddbd5f89065914f5db07a6c909db95.PNG

Capture2.thumb.PNG.bf4cacfd814bd6616523fef1be15e034.PNG

If you don't import clones then nothing gets filled in for the clone alternative name and thus nothing for search to pickup.

6 hours ago, sundogak said:

If you do a MAME import and check the box to import clones then searching will bring up anything in the main name field as well as the Alternative Names section.  See example below since with clone import:  

If you don't import clones then nothing gets filled in for the clone alternative name and thus nothing for search to pickup.

I also notice that I can't find the original Contra in LB, but I can find it in standalone MAME: Contra (US / Asia, set 1). 
Edit: Actually it does show up in LB but as: Gryzor. Why? Gryzor is the European version of Contra. Why isn't the default NA? 

When I initially set up MAME I used: Tools > Import > MAME Arcade Full Set and left everything as default -- See attached image.
So you're saying if I wanted to see "Gun Frontier" I needed to select "Import ALL Clones as Separate Games (Not Recommended)?"
I kinda figured the default option would've sufficed. 

2045237908_MAMEArcadeFullSetWizard.thumb.png.78bf2996e8c6ee12ec0a533e82c90a11.png

This is what I have showing for Gun Frontier.

TzicjDZ.png

Edited by MapleLeaf
Needed to add an image.

6 hours ago, MapleLeaf said:

I also notice that I can't find the original Contra in LB, but I can find it in standalone MAME: Contra (US / Asia, set 1). 
Edit: Actually it does show up in LB but as: Gryzor. Why? Gryzor is the European version of Contra. Why isn't the default NA? 

NA should be the default, i imported with the default settings also and contra shows for me in a search.

image.thumb.png.9fe93ca143e5a2514657dc5cba7235f2.png

6 hours ago, MapleLeaf said:

So you're saying if I wanted to see "Gun Frontier" I needed to select "Import ALL Clones as Separate Games (Not Recommended)?"

No. If you look at your image you have all the other versions of the game listed as well, simply make one of the other versions the default by clicking on it and hitting the make default button. The default options are what you want, it sounds like in this case that "Gun & Frontier" is the parent rom and "Gun Frontier" is a clone of that, so again simply make the one you want default as i described previously.

For that game there is a "World" and "Japan" version, as you chose "North America" as your preferred region in the import wizard, and there isnt a version of that game for that region then my guess is you got the "world" version by default and that may have the different naming to the "Japan" rom.

Gun & Frontier (World) - MAME machine (arcadeitalia.net)

10 hours ago, neil9000 said:

NA should be the default, i imported with the default settings also and contra shows for me in a search.

image.thumb.png.9fe93ca143e5a2514657dc5cba7235f2.png

No. If you look at your image you have all the other versions of the game listed as well, simply make one of the other versions the default by clicking on it and hitting the make default button. The default options are what you want, it sounds like in this case that "Gun & Frontier" is the parent rom and "Gun Frontier" is a clone of that, so again simply make the one you want default as i described previously.

For that game there is a "World" and "Japan" version, as you chose "North America" as your preferred region in the import wizard, and there isnt a version of that game for that region then my guess is you got the "world" version by default and that may have the different naming to the "Japan" rom.

Gun & Frontier (World) - MAME machine (arcadeitalia.net)

1.) Contra: I think I was confused because my image group is set to "Clear Logos" which displays the word "Gryzor" written on it. So when I searched for Contra, that's what came up and I don't recognize Contra by that name. If I change the image group I then see the Contra box art. However, both of us are displaying the game name "Gryzor" on the right panel above the leaderboard. Gryzor is the European version, it's alternate name is Kon To Ra (Japanese). 
I guess I can go into "Additional Apps" and select "US / Asia, set 1" as I believe that's the Contra parent, but I'd think this should've been the default. Maybe this will change the game name from Gryzor to Contra? 

2.) Another game I'm having issues with: Salamandar 2. Shows in standalone MAME by that name but not in LB when I do a search. Salamander's aka is Lifeforce/Life Force, but that doesn't bring up Salamander 2 either. 

Edited by MapleLeaf

6 minutes ago, MapleLeaf said:

2.) Another game I'm having issues with: Salamandar 2. Shows in standalone MAME by that name but not in LB when I do a search. Salamander's aka is Lifeforce/Life Force, but that doesn't bring up Salamander 2 either. 

Salamander 2 is a non working game, so would be skipped with default import settings.

image.thumb.png.e4708c589a849d828f80e5ba155788ed.png

8 hours ago, neil9000 said:

Salamander 2 is a non working game, so would be skipped with default import settings.

That's the conclusion I came to as well (for why it didn't show up in LB), however, it does play perfectly fine in MAME. 
What does "unemulated protection" mean? 

2 hours ago, MapleLeaf said:

That's the conclusion I came to as well (for why it didn't show up in LB), however, it does play perfectly fine in MAME. 
What does "unemulated protection" mean? 

The original game had some sort of protection/piracy feature on it that is not emulated correctly inside Mame. So the rom is not properly emulated and could have things wrong like graphical glitches, boot issues, or any host of problems.