LaunchBox Community Forums

How can I import Dreamcast (.GDI) games in Launchbox?

vince16

Hi everyone,

I've been trying to import Shenmue, and my version is comprised of 1 folder containing 3 folders each containing a bunch of files, including one that is a .gdi, which I believe is the executable for Dreamcast games (for the ones that come in .gdi  that is), but for the life of me I can't find a way to import this game in Launchbox.

If I select import file, and I import all 3 .gdi files one after the other ("Add file", "Add file", "Add file") at the beginning, even if I tick the "combine roms with matching titles into a single game" box toward the end, Launchbox shows me the 3 .gdi files on 3 different lines, and indeed imports 3 different Shenmue games (the 3 .gdi files),

If I select import folder, Launchbox sees all the files in all 3 folders, and shows me at the end of the import process all those files, I didn't even bother to click "import" as I didn't want to have to delete 2 dozen files.

I think it  is worth noting that this Shenmue game is a folder containing 3 folders each containing a bunch of files, among which a .gdi file. Now I'm not too savvy when it comes to Dreamcast emulators (I plan on using Flycast btw, if that's important), but i read somewhere that it's important the .gdi file remains in a folder along the other files that pertain to it in order for the emulator to run properly, so even though I thought about having just 1 folder with all files of all 3 folders in it so Launchbox would import just 1 game, I didn't in the end.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by vince16

Go to your Shenmue folder in file manager, where you have your 3 sub folders. Once there use the search function and search for *.cdi. This should only show any .gdi files you have in that folder and any sub folders, presumably just your 3 Shenmue gdi files. Select all 3 and drag into LB to start the import process.

LB should combine them if you tell it to. If it doesn't then in LB select all 3 Shenmue entries, right click and combine.

44 minutes ago, vince16 said:

If  I select import file, and I import all 3 .gdi files one after the other ("Add file", "Add file", "Add file") at the beginning, even if I tick the "combine roms with matching titles into a single game" box toward the end, Launchbox shows me the 3 .gdi files on 3 different lines, and indeed imports 3 different Shenmue games (the 3 .gdi files),

The "combine roms with matching titles..." option is only for combining roms you are importing at the same time. It does not look at a rom you are importing and attempt to combine it with one you have already imported.

1 hour ago, Lordmonkus said:

Go to your Shenmue folder in file manager, where you have your 3 sub folders. Once there use the search function and search for *.cdi. This should only show any .gdi files you have in that folder and any sub folders, presumably just your 3 Shenmue gdi files. Select all 3 and drag into LB to start the import process.

LB should combine them if you tell it to. If it doesn't then in LB select all 3 Shenmue entries, right click and combine.

Thanks for your reply.

Err, if I use the search function found in the Windows "Start" menu and type .cdi, it finds one other Dreamcast game I have, that is indeed a .cdi (that I imported effortlessly as it is just one file), not Shenmue...

But, hey, you say I can combine those 3 different .gdi files into one game AFTER Launchbox is done importing them? I'll try that, if you can give me the precise walkthrough...

Edit: nah, no dice, LB still imports them as 3 different separate games, even after I tick that "combine" box. Waiting for help for how to merge them...

Edit 2: got them merged. Let's see if it works.

Edit 3: damn, now flycast is giving me a bios error... never had this prolem when running Naomi & Atomiswave games. Nevermind, this kind of problem can't be resolved in LB forums I suppose.

Edit 4: OK, got this resolved. For whatever reason, Launchbox had imported a .link file, not .gdi... Go figure.

Edited by vince16

44 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

The "combine roms with matching titles..." option is only for combining roms you are importing at the same time. It does not look at a rom you are importing and attempt to combine it with one you have already imported.

Yes I know ofc. When I said import all 3 files one after the other "add file" x3 I meant at the beginning :)

21 minutes ago, Lordmonkus said:

Don't use it from the start menu, use it from within file manager after you navigate to your Shenmue folder.

Use it from within file manager after I navigate to my shenmue folder... I think I need to make it clear that, not only am I using a french keyboard ('cause I'm french), I'm not too computer-savvy, so I'm not sure what you're talking about... lol?

@ Lordmonkus & neil9000 thank you both for your help :)

Although over here my files are .gdi, not .cdi files, I think I got it to work, merged and all. My only concern now is, when I make it to the end of CD (or is it GD) 1, how will I switch to disc 2, but I suppose it's not so much a problem that pertains to Launchbox as it does to Flycast.

Thanks! :)

I've run into yet another problem with Dreamcast games on Launchbox (with Flycast), with the ones that come in .img & .ccd, it seems Flycast can't launch them (thus LB can't either). I have PowerISO installed but it tells me the file extension is not supported, or something. Any idea?