LaunchBox Community Forums

Micro sd card permissions not set.

redboyke

I'm having a similar issue with my Odin Lite, Android 11. I setup all my emulators and now I want to load up LB, I cannot choose my SDCARD to import my ROM's from. I just downloaded a fresh copy of the LB app as well. So, I'm using the latest version. No luck chuck!!!  :(  anyone figure this out?

Full permissions are granted on the LB App

Thanks,
Aj

Edited by Aj67

17 minutes ago, Aj67 said:

I'm having a similar issue with my Odin Lite, Android 11. I setup all my emulators and now I want to load up LB, I cannot choose my SDCARD to import my ROM's from. I just downloaded a fresh copy of the LB app as well. So, I'm using the latest version. No luck chuck!!!  :(  anyone figure this out?

Thanks,
Aj

I don't have that device to test with, but from what I've heard from the community, you need to format the SD card as external storage, and not let the device use it for apps.

8 hours ago, Aj67 said:

fudge!! will give that a shot... dopey me, I had it set as that but was having other matters, so formatted back to internal, will give that a shot and update.

Thanks Jason!

No luck, formatted this thing everyway possible still not able to access my ROMs folder on the root of my SDCARD. Portable Storage format didnt work, formatted in W10, no go. The only way I could get it to work was move the ROMs to /storage/BA4c-2EB7/Android/data.com.unbrokensoftware.launchbox/files. 
there's a DCIM folder in there, if I drop the ROM's in that folder ^ they are accessible as that path. But then my standalone emulators cant read via that directory when trying to load games in them directly.

What am I doing wrong?  

I guess no LB right now .. sucks...! What's weird is my wife has a Odin Pro and I configured everything on her device with no issues. Cant give you any info on that one, had to ship it back screen was jacked, they are going to be sending me a new one.

Edited by Aj67

@Aj67 @borf42 Thanks for the detailed video. It's strange because we've confirmed that everything works fine with the Odin Pro. @C-Beats actually owns an Odin Pro and didn't run into any of those issues. So all I can figure is that there's some inherent difference between the Odin Lite and the Odin Pro, which seems pretty dumb. But I don't know what else it would be.

Watching through the video, it doesn't look like you're doing anything wrong. It does appear to be a broken version of Android, as far as I can tell. My best guess as to what's going on from the video, is that the SD card is read only when it shouldn't be. I will look to see if there's anything I can do to force those folders to show up even though they can't be written to, if you're just browsing for ROMs to import, though I thought I had already done that. But I will confirm.

Per those deeply nested com.unbrokensoftware.launchbox folders, those are just automatically created by Android and are separate from all the other permissions. LaunchBox doesn't use them for much at all, because yes, nothing in them can be accessed by any other app.

• Like 1

I reviewed the code, and we are not looking for write permissions when browsing for a folder in imports, so unfortunately that's not the issue. We've set up the permissions in LaunchBox to act as a file manager app, which is supposed to give LaunchBox full access to files on both internal and external storage, but unfortunately some manufacturers are failing us in that regard. It still doesn't make any sense why the Odin Pro would work but the Odin Lite doesn't.

Unfortunately, in order to resolve this I'll probably need an Odin Lite. I do wonder if there are any options for custom firmware on the Odin Lite that might not have this problem. Other than that, for the time being I'm not sure what to do.

• Like 1

Hey @Aj67 I briefly checked the OdinHandheld subreddit and found this post here where a user is having the same issue you are with Arc Browser and a few other apps. One comment in that subreddit states that Ayn has reached out to one user stating this is a known firmware bug and will be resolved in a future update, another comment helps explain how one user was able to grant LaunchBox special permissions that allowed them to access the files they needed. May give you a work around in the meantime.

• Like 2

@Jason Carr Thanks for digging in and taking a look, I believe my Odin Base was on Android 10 as well. Like I said, I had a screen issue with that and had to ship it back. No issues with LB on the Odin Base when I had it in hand. It's does seem odd that they would not ship the same OS version on all the devices. QC concerns big time. Check the vid on my screen issue, kind of ridiculous that they would let this ship out, several other backers experiencing the same screen issue.

@C-Beats thanks for the info, I'll be reviewing that post subreddit. For the time being, I had a 512GB SD laying around, as a temp solution I just copied the Retro folder into the /storage/SDCARD/Android/data.com.unbrokensoftware.launchbox/files/ I can now choose and import my sets. 

I'm going to get on AYN to push an update to fix this. I'll keep things updated here when I get a response from them.

Thank you!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just as a side note, I did do what that reddit thread recommended by going into special app permissions and enabling the ability to install unknown apps. This seems to allow Launchbox to access the other folders now. Very weird. It seems to be a functional workaround. I'll try getting some stuff imported and see how it goes.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, borf42 said:

Just as a side note, I did do what that reddit thread recommended by going into special app permissions and enabling the ability to install unknown apps. This seems to allow Launchbox to access the other folders now. Very weird. It seems to be a functional workaround. I'll try getting some stuff imported and see how it goes.

Confirmed from the subreddit post, that does work.. Apps>Special app access>scroll down to> Install unknown apps, make sure LB is checked
I can now access sdcard/Retro - nice!!!

We shouldn't have to do that, but at least it's working now

Edited by Aj67
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just had this same issue on my Nvidia Shield after I tried moving the Launchbox main folder on my SD card to another location within the same SD card. Launchbox was running fine when I originally installed it using my SD card as the data folder. For whatever reason, it seems access privilege is granted specifically under the "NVIDIA_SHIELD" subfolder in the SD card that the Shield creates on its own. Try putting the entire Launchbox folder in there and setting that location under Launchboxes options window for your data files

IMG_20220918_192138030.jpg

17 hours ago, x1mjp1x said:

Just had this same issue on my Nvidia Shield after I tried moving the Launchbox main folder on my SD card to another location within the same SD card. Launchbox was running fine when I originally installed it using my SD card as the data folder. For whatever reason, it seems access privilege is granted specifically under the "NVIDIA_SHIELD" subfolder in the SD card that the Shield creates on its own. Try putting the entire Launchbox folder in there and setting that location under Launchboxes options window for your data files

IMG_20220918_192138030.jpg

Yes, for the Nvidia Shield, it is necessary to use the NVIDIA_SHIELD folder (frankly because the Shield device is dumb and introduced something specific only to the Shield). So this unfortunately is not relevant at all to any other device other than the Nvidia Shield.

• 2 months later...

Just had this equivalent issue on my Nvidia Safeguard after I had a go at moving the Launchbox primary organizer on my SD card to one more area inside a similar SD card. Launchbox was running fine when I initially introduced it utilizing my SD card as the information envelope. Out of the blue, it appears access honor is conceded explicitly under the "NVIDIA_SHIELD" subfolder in the SD card that the Safeguard makes all alone. Take a stab at placing the whole Launchbox envelope in there and setting that area under Launchboxes choices window for your information records...