LaunchBox Community Forums

Guide: Mass optimise/compress launchbox images

jacks897

This is a guide focusing on how to mass optimise/compress LaunchBox images. Some images are several MB and take up a lot of space.

This will also mean that the interface is more responsive. Before I did this my LaunchBox images took up over 60GB! After this process only 25GB with no noticeable loss of quality.

STEP 1. BACKUP YOUR LAUNCHBOX IMAGES FOLDER!!!!! - very important as this tool will replace images rather than creating a copy.

STEP 2. Download Mass Image Compressor from this link - https://sourceforge.net/projects/icompress/

STEP 3. We will be performing 2 runs with the compressor tool. The first is to reduce the image dimensions of large images to 70%. The second is to compress the other images.

STEP 4. Set directory to LaunchBox images directory then tick "Compress Images of All Child Directories" - BACKUP YOUR IMAGES FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RUN 1 Settings 
    ----------------------
    Compression Parameters: 85%
    New Dimension in %: 70%
    Tick Compress if File Size Greater than 1MB

RUN 2 Settings
    ----------------------
    Compression Parameters: 85%
    New Dimension in %: 100%
    Tick Compress if File Size Greater than 400KB

This will result in a massive reduction in the size of your images folder and will optimise the images.

Edited by jacks897
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, TinyTsuruta said:

I like this, but I still want images at 1920x1080. Wondering what the impact would be on setting Run 1's New Dimension to 100% instead of 70%? My images folder is 156 GB! I was expecting around 75-100. 

If you would like the images to be kept at original dimensions then skip the first run and proceed to run 2 and make sure dimensions are set to 100% you could probably then set  compression to 80% just be sure to keep a backup and make sure you are happy with the results :)

Edited by jacks897
  • Like 1

On 9/7/2021 at 4:17 PM, sevenalive said:

Should be compressing them to CHD using mame's chdman. Best emulators for ps1, ps2, sega saturn, etc support CHD files. Say goodbye to bin/cue. 

Use Dolphin's RVZ for gamecube and wii ISOs.

* CHD not compat with older emus and might not be supported on the official hardware like gzip is.

Bascially if you can, use CHD over gzip

Thank's for the info.

I only have like 4-5 iso's in bin/cue format, So that's okay. Deleting cue also works completely fine (never had any issues doing that).

Actually never managed figuring out Mame, And find the front-end super annoying and confusing.

Cheers 😉